iphone 3GS?????

What's hot, what's not and other questions regarding mobile phones
Site Admin

iphone 3GS?????

Postby kingabs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 am

Thinking of going for the iphone 3GS.
Just wanted to know if this would be a good move or if anyone has one any input would be greatly appreciated.

Abs

Re: iphone 3GS?????

Postby sid180 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Hello there,

yeah its a pretty good phone but only downside is once the battry dies out after 3 years you will have to send it to apple to replace.

Sid

Postby brolly727 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Had iphone as rick knows and wouldn't touch one again. my suggestion....HTC allllll the way HTC Touch HD2. far superior screen, Snapdragon 1Ghz processor (double of tht of iphone) more ram upgradeable memory (Micro SD cards) and very very responsive and slick and it can do much much more than an iphone can. Secondly if your into this sorta thing its can be "made" to put on Google's android software and you can make it do many other things such as putting on your own or other rom's and messing about with registry editor and getting loads more out of your phone not to mention take off all the extra stuff that a manufacturer supplys to make the phone twice or three times as fast in my experience.

Also with the announcement of windows 7 mobile you can bet it'll be just a matter of time before you can put that on as well. Lastly HTC is established through and through the iphone when first released couldn't even do the most basic of tasks such as sending text messages to multiple recipients. Also my dad's manager has iphone 3gs and its woefully crap (thats being nice) with its reception. He is on vodafone and works in a factory and cant get a good signal. My dad put his vodafone sim card in put the phone next to the iphone and when then Iphone was getting no reception my dad was getting full reception.

My opinion iphone is a waste of money simply because its not all its cracked up to be and for what you pay i.e. £500 you don't get half the toys you should..... and you know what they say about Apple users don't ya ;)

Site Admin

Postby kingabs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I have heard the ipone 3gs has had a number of improvments over the 1st generation of iphone.
Not too keen on the android or the HTC phone.
Currently sitting on my desk is Nokia E71might hold fire for a while and see what comes out. ;)

Postby brolly727 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 am

Yes I admit it has had improvements but seriously if you look at the iphone 3g and 3gs all they did was improve the speed using HSUPDA I believe but my 4 year old HTC phone had that. Nokia is very good we use them at work. Id still suggest atleast have a look around at the HTC devices android is seriously quick if i do cya you can play with my phone i hacked it running a custom rom. When i got it using the stock ROM i was a bit disappointed but once i put a custom rom off everything was twice or three times as quicker and much more responsive. Being a windows device its not so hard to crack quite literally like installing software. Not to mention then you have control over all aspects over the phone so you can get more out of your phone then what HTC actually advertise.

3gs maybe good but for what your paying it really isn't it still lacks features for example flash.... what flash both in terms of flash software and camera flash. With HTC HD2 its direct competitor you get a 5 mp cam with dual LED flash. So not only do you get double flash but a far superior camera too. I'm sold and i wouldn't ever go back to an iPhone.... its just a fashion statement..... useless as a phone though

Site Admin

Postby kingabs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:19 am

Good point, but after thinking about it the new phones tend to come out in March so only 1 more month.

Postby brolly727 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:47 am

yes thats right. Having said that HTC Touch HD2 is HTC's flagship and they won't be replacing that so soon but just incase it isnt quite your cup of tea over the last three months HTC have released loads of new phones. Each to their own but i still believe however lazy and bad microsoft are HTC are that much better and the HD 2 is a serious piece of kit.

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 am

I beg to differ.

I don't think the iphone is crap or 'useless as a phone'. It is certainly overpriced (that's supply & demand for you!) but having had a 3GS since they came out it has worked extremely well, is easy to use and on O2 has better reception than my company mobile.

So its not the ultimate all singing and dancing phone, best at everything etc' but don't get put off because of its perhap over-popularity and the annoying habit of some iphone users of being obsessed by them and boring people with their latest app!
' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'

Sources: Gyrodec SE with Dynavector 10X5; Macmini into Chord QBD76
Amplifiers: Music First Silver passive into Bryston 4B SST C
Loudspeakers: Heimdall speaker cable into ATC SCM 40

Postby brolly727 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:18 am

Hi Crimson,

Yes i do apologize if it came across that i'm just slamming the iPhone... It does things well now better then it did before but i really don't think it's all what its cracked up to be and its ridiculously overpriced as you said. But i still firmly believe that the HTC phones are much better, yes they too have had their problems but they have come on leaps and bounds. The hacking business is for me what pushes the boat out and of course the things you get for the price. I can understand the iPhone is targeted at a big audience and mainly at professionals (thinking of lawyer uncle) but just a little more confidence will open new doors and thats where the HTC is. Each to their own I admit i'm a bit of a fan boy of HTC products but they are capable of far more than people let on.

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 am

No probs, I'm not precious about it, its only a phone afterall!

I think I sit in the rather overcrowded camp of simple people for whom a phone needs to be easy to use to be able to talk, text/ email & surf the web 95% of the time. I'll probably never use 80% of a phones functionality tbh, unless some one shows me, and I think its usefull. I do use the iphone as an itunes remote for my minimac to hifi which works well.

I only really obsess about my hifi..
' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'

Sources: Gyrodec SE with Dynavector 10X5; Macmini into Chord QBD76
Amplifiers: Music First Silver passive into Bryston 4B SST C
Loudspeakers: Heimdall speaker cable into ATC SCM 40

Postby brolly727 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 am

Haha, its a good obession to have :p. As you can tell I do like my phones but i'm not all that hung up on them believe it or not. I do see what i can do to it from time to time and I am amazed hence i like HTC for its flexability. As i said the iPhone is targeted at specfic audience and the rest just have the phone for show and you gotta hand it to them they have made a phone thats friendly to anyone. Much like the Wii anyone can pick up and play, but i sit on a more technical side and i see its flaws hence i'd say the HTC is better. My opinion everyone else has their own but id like to point out that other then Apple and Nokia's of this world there is HTC which isn't much shouted about until recently (i mean in terms of adverts) and its just as good and better.

Postby Graham_Thomas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:54 pm

I've just bought a Samsung Tocco Lite for £70.00 - a bargain I think for a touch phone, great battery life and lovely widgets to play with! :D

Postby brolly727 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:38 pm

haha Yeah that is a good buy bargain. The Tocco aint been out that long so that is a bit of a bargain I believe it runs off Symbian software or does it run off Microsoft Windows OS? I'm pretty sure it's symbian.

Postby sid180 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:50 pm

it def runs of symbian software.

Postby brolly727 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:45 am

Yeah Symbian is still a pretty big player, my mate worked for Symbian in London but I hear there market share is falling because of other big OS's. I wouldn't necessarily say the bigger OS's such as Microsoft or Apple's are that much better. Should be an interesting time for the Symbian people. If i'm not mistaken i think even Nokia have ditched them although i'm not 100% sure about that.

Anyone played with the Toshiba phones? The latest one has a snapdragon processor and although they don't have the name in the mobile market I don't think they are bad phones but I havent had a chance to play with one properly.

Next

Return to Mobile Phones