iOS 5

What's hot, what's not and other questions regarding mobile phones

iOS 5

Postby MattSPL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Anybody downloaded iOS 5 yet? Or having trouble doing so?

Ive been trying to download and update my iphone 4 since they released iOS 5 a few days ago with no success :evil:
iTunes kept on timing out.

So i searched and found this that worked a treat :D
http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/12/fix-erro ... -5-update/

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Re: iOS 5

Postby emgee » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Works fine on my iphone 3gs; I'm not using the cloud though-just don't trust it. i like the way texts appear on the front screen :)
cheers
Mark

Postby MattSPL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi Mark

My terrible Internet connection was the cause of my trouble downloading I think.
But I like the way that updates can now be done on the iPhone itself, and don't require using a computer to download the entire software file each time.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby BenL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 pm

I downloaded it the day after release. I have a slow internet connection and have struggled to download previous updates. However, it took about an hour, way less than many people with faster connections were reporting on the day of release :)

However, there was some problem doing the restore, and even now iTunes keeps asking me if I want to continue the restore. The main problem I had was that all my music got deleted from the phone :evil: Putting over 3,000 songs back on whilst on the fly compressing to 128k took many, many hours and I had to use a wired connection due to crashes over wifi :evil: I am also having problems getting some songs from spotify to sync properly.

I've not played with many updates, but agree with mark the info displayed when locked is much better :) The predictive text also seems to have had some context-based improvements :) I think battery is going even faster now but operation seems just as fast, which I had been concerned about :)
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby MattSPL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Ben

That sound like a pain with your music :evil:

I think you might be right about the battery draining faster now, but i need a day or two to be sure how its affected mine.

Being able to access the camera from the locked screen is useful for a quick photo too :)

Cheers
Matt

Return to Mobile Phones