Mev Dinc's System - ATC EL 150A

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Mev Dinc's System - ATC EL 150A

Postby MattSPL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for that Mev, very interesting. Time to experiment.....
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby linger63 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am

error
Last edited by linger63 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby linger63 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:46 am

MevDinc wrote:Hi All,
A quick update:[
My room is around 40 square meters and rectangular shaped. I have my ATCs along the long wall which allows me to keep them well away from the side walls (around 2.5M).
Short wall is about 5M and I have my speakers 1.4M from the front wall.
I'm sitting quite close to the back wall (60cm).

My listening position is just under 3M from the speakers, and they are just over 3M apart.
So, I'm quite close to my speakers, almost midfield listening position (like a big studio).

Because ATCs can play very clean and also loud (I like it loud!) I'm able to listen to music for hours on end, just like the many mastering engineers in many studios around the World.

Yesterday I decided to get even closer to the speakers but leaving them apart as before.
But with a more steep toe-in as can be seen from the attached pic.
I can appreciate the magic dome even more now, I get goosebumps allover especially with well recorded voices; I've been listening to Folk Singer album by Muddy Waters, just amazing! :)
It's like listening to a giant pair fantastic headphones! :D

I thought I'd share it with you so you can experiment too. Especially in rooms with no or little room treatment, with a much closer listening positioning and steeper toe-in you may get better results.
It's worth a try and completely free, I believe speaker placement is very important

Best wishes.
Mev

MattSPL wrote:Thanks for that Mev, very interesting. Time to experiment.....

Also very important to have your speakers "acoustic centre" at ear level.
In the case of larger ATC models that usually means level with centre of dome midrange driver for optimum SQ.........check your User Manual.

FWIW.....Raising my Anniversary SCM70ASL's to the right height improved my listening experience substantially!!!!
If things are out of kilter but you can't raise/lower the speakers.........maybe you can raise/lower the listening position.

Also Mev, according to this pretty interesting site, your LP is WAY too close to your back wall...

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker- ... erference/

Couldn't agree more about positioning. ;)
Maybe you shouldn't stop just yet!!!! :)

Finding optimal positions for both speakers and LP and THEN treating room accordingly (if/where practical) should achieve best results.
Whenever in doubt though.........still trust your ears!!!

Cheers

Postby MevDinc » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 pm

linger63 wrote:
MevDinc wrote:Hi All,
A quick update:[
[u]I'm sitting quite close to the back wall (60cm).
---
Mev

MattSPL wrote:Thanks for that Mev, very interesting. Time to experiment.....

[b]Also very important to have your speakers "acoustic centre" at ear level.
In the case of larger ATC models that usually means level with centre of dome midrange driver for optimum SQ.........check your User Manual.

Thanks for the tip and you're absolutely right, my ear height is correct, getting the full dome treatment! :)

FWIW.....Raising my Anniversary SCM70ASL's to the right height improved my listening experience substantially!!!!
If things [i]are out of kilter but you can't raise/lower the speakers.........maybe you can raise/lower the listening position.

Also Mev, according to this pretty interesting site, your LP is WAY too close to your back wall...

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker- ... erference/

Couldn't agree more about positioning. ;)
Maybe you shouldn't stop just yet!!!! :)

Finding optimal positions for both speakers and LP and THEN treating room accordingly (if/where practical) should achieve best results.
Whenever in doubt though.........still trust your ears!!!

Cheers

"Also Mev, according to this pretty interesting site, your LP is WAY too close to your back wall..."

Yes, this is said in many articles but I also closely try and follow the Audio Physics' recommendation regarding the LP to back wall distance:

"According to Audio Physic, the ideal room setup to eliminate early reflections is long-wall placement. Your listening position should place your head near the rear wall. The speakers should be placed at the two centre points of an ellipsoid touching the walls of the room.
This gets the speakers a distance from the side walls and virtually eliminates early reflections. The sound reaches your ears first, resulting in better sound-staging and tonal balance. Placing your head near the rear wall reduces room nodes and increases the perception of deep bass."....

I think it's a lot of fun experimenting, as you say, at the end of the day, your ears will tell you what's best for you. :)

Enjoy.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Shadorne » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

Your head should be ideally 6 feet or more from any wall. 3 feet is still kind of ok. Any closer and the Soundstage will collapse completely and the bass response will be highly irregular. It is just as important to keeep the listening position away from reflective surfaces as it is the speakers.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby MevDinc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am

Shadorne wrote:Your head should be ideally 6 feet or more from any wall. 3 feet is still kind of ok. Any closer and the Soundstage will collapse completely and the bass response will be highly irregular. It is just as important to keeep the listening position away from reflective surfaces as it is the speakers.

Hi Shadorne,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the input.

Are you able to try our the Audio Physics' placement method?
The wall behind me is well treated and I'm very happy with both the soundstage and bass response.

I did move my listening position further away from the wall behind me as you suggested and didn't hear much of a difference.

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Previous

Return to System setup pictures