Matt's System

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Matt's System

Postby MattSPL » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm

I ordered another 2 meters of BAF wadding for my speakers, it arrived today.

*Edit* These hit like a sledge hammer now when cranked up with some suitable material :D :D :D

I took a few pics of the insides of my PA65's. You can see the Vinyl floor tiles i stuck to the insides to add some extra mass.

In this picture, you can see the box section where the amp pack is housed at the top of the image

You can also see the the fixings for hanging the speakers

This one is taken looking up into the cabinet. You can see the tweeter and mid units, and where the cables enter the amp compartment.

I'm going to start building the sub soon. Here's a picture of the top piece marked out to give you an idea of the shape.
I'm borrowing a Kicker s15L7 drive unit off a friend to get the sub going asap. Then when i get the 18inch LMS5400, its round cutout will cover the square 15inch cutout.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MattSPL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:23 pm

I started building the sub today. Its made from 25mm MDF and ive made the baffle 50mm.

This is one of the sides marked out to have slots cut into it to bend

This is after the slots were cut. A few mistakes :oops:

Here, i screwed a piece of wood to the back to guide the skill saw so i could cut the angle in the back piece. That's my dusty leg on the right :lol:

I've just to get the bass driver and do its cutout, then attach the sides and possibly add some more bracing.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby delirio » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Nice clean and interesting job you're doing Matt. ;)
Looking forward to see it finished,and hear the opinions.
Regards
Adry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----EMT 938/EMT TSD15,Naim CDS3/PS555,ATC SCA2,ATC SCM70ASL,----

Postby MattSPL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks Adry :)
I need to get the bass driver off my friend before I go any further so I can cut its mounting hole.

Cheers
Matt

Postby MattSPL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 pm

I fixed one of the sides on the sub today, and realised i made a B@lls of the size of the side, and its not quite square either. Ended up short at the back, and will need trimming flush at the front.

I got the top and bottom to line up, so that's something.

Here you can see how much short i cut the side. It doesn't reach the back, even though i tried to allow for the curve.

The next 2 pics are inside the sub

I'm letting it dry, then need to fill all the grooves on the inside of the curve.

Cheers
Matt

Postby BenL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Looking good Matt 8-) Am following with interest :D
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby MattSPL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks Ben :)

Its not going quite as well as i'd hoped, but it was intended as a practice box, so its not too bad. I'm eager to get it finished, but whats left is time consuming as i have to let the glue dry as i do each step.

Cheers
Matt

Postby John Leddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 am

Hi Matt,

I see this thread is approaching its 5th anniversary. Undaunted, I'll resurrect it anyway, if only because it was a marathon read, and a complete wind-up not to see a finished speaker at the end of it!

I wonder if your views have changed much over the past 5 years.

All the best,

John.

Postby MattSPL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:40 am

Hi John

I was out of work when I built that box, needed a bass driver to do the cutout so I could put the final side on the box. Didn't have money for a driver, then ended up back in work with no time to finish the project.

I've thought about having another go at it and using the amp from my velodyne sub, but unsure if it would work due to the servo function on the velodyne. It would also be a monstrosity of a box in the living room rather than a fairly compact DD12.

I started a new system thread as I had a complete change of system and direction.

Cheers
Matt

Postby John Leddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:23 pm

MattSPL wrote:I started a new system thread as I had a complete change of system and direction.

Yes, I saw that after replying here Matt. I made some derogatory remarks about that AVM muck in Part 2.

I meant to ask you if you built sound treatment into the alcoves behind your speakers, but I forgot to do so. I'll head over to Part 2 from now on.

All the best,

John.

Previous

Return to System setup pictures