ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: MevDinc's System

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Shadorne wrote:
MevDinc wrote:Hello Everybody,

Update! :)
---
Mev

Thanks for the point pics! The black tweeter front plate looks awesome on the black gloss - your speakers are now unique looking. I nearly went for the all black version of the EL150SL which look like stealth bomber - I think ATC only ever made one set in all black - in the end I am glad I went for burr magnolia as I think the design is timeless and will have longer lasting aesthetic appeal. All black looks a bit military like especially in the non reflective mat paint.

Hi Shadorne,

Good to hear from you and you did notice my all black tweeters!

The funny thing is that I had completely overlooked the fact they'd installed a pair of black plated tweeters, completely missed it during the factory visit and for good few days after they were delivered to my home :)
It suddenly dawned on me that there was something not right but once I discovered that the tweeters were black! But I really liked them, and as you say they make my pair unique, and they do look gorgeous.
Yes, all black looks a bit military but the beautifully finished mat black does also look the business on the black gloss.
Incidentally, I'm glad I went for burr magnolia finish too, after many years it's now beautifully darkened to its final tone which may the speakers look even lovelier :)

Are you still very pleased with yours, anything new at all?
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MevDinc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Another small update:

My Lindemann Musicbook just died on me and had to go back to its maker for a treatment!

While waiting the good people of Elite Audio loaned me a SOtM SDP-1000EX DSD DAC & Preamp. Similar spec and config; very good DAC (PCM 384 and DSD 128) with very good Preamp minus the streamer.
And SOtM works on battery power as it comes with 2 battery packs installed on constant charge, as one is used the other is charged seamlessly, very clever!

I always think the battery power makes quite a bit of difference especially on the lower section of the sound, the bass always sounds deeper and cleaner! I did use my Zodiac Gold with battery power for serious listening!
Anyway, the SOtM unit is still burning away and I'm sure it'll improve in time even more but I really like it already.
Very similar performance to the Lindemann Musicbook, both very good machines with equally capable preamp, I always prefer a one box solution that can be connected directly to my wonderful P6.

I think I will still keep my Lindemann unless something drastically changes for the better with the already good SOtM until my machine returns! :)

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Mev,

Sorry to hear your Dac stopped working. Any ideas what the problem is?
The SOtM sounds good, I like the idea of battery power.

At least you can still enjoy your music :)

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MevDinc » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:24 am

Thanks Matt.
No idea what problem is, I'm still waiting to hear from Lindemann.

It's good to have a good replacement DAC to enjoy the music while waiting! :)

Postby MevDinc » Tue May 23, 2017 2:45 pm

BTW, got my Lindemann back, the power unit was replaced and they didn't know what caused it, probably a one off!
All good now and sounding wonderful.

Could Lindemann's claim 'DSD is the new analog' be true?
I wouldn't know since I've not been listening to analog for years! :)

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:42 am

Hi All,

I have been listening to the latest album from Roger Waters on TIDAL
https://tidal.com/album/74363578
Is This The Life We Really Want?

It grows on me more with each listen.
I think it's one of his best works, the album cleverly mixes his old magic with new sounds and melodies.

BUT, the beginning of the track 'Bird In A Gale' has a cleverly sampled alarm sound and every time I listened to the album I get caught unaware by it! It's so freaking real my first reaction is to mute the system thinking something's gone really wrong!
So, be warned! :)

Best.
Mev

Postby MattSPL » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi Mev

The album sounds interesting, I must give it a listen.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:27 pm

I have been listening to the latest album from Roger Waters on TIDAL
https://tidal.com/album/74363578
Is This The Life We Really Want?

I am a keen Waters and Gilmore fan. Separately nowadays of course!
Yes it IS a fantastic album....
And it grows on me more every time I listen.

In the past, The Final Cut, Pros and Cons, KAOS and Amused (as well as all the many versions of The Wall and other Floyd stuff) have given me endless pleasure.

I saw Roger Waters The Wall at the Cinema last year when it was released for one night only...I fully recommend the Bluray of the film...it is amazing.

David
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Mev,

How are you getting on with the Lindemann? Everything ok since the repair?

Cheers
Matt

Postby MevDinc » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 pm

MattSPL wrote:Hi Mev,

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for asking Matt.

Lindemann has been performing flawlessly since the repair.

Right now I'm in Turkey and using my old ATC SCM 20A Pros with the Marantz AV 7008. These ATCs are from 1998, and they still sound great! :)

Best.
Mev

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:28 pm

MevDinc wrote:
MattSPL wrote:Hi Mev,

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for asking Matt.

Lindemann has been performing flawlessly since the repair.

Right now I'm in Turkey and using my old ATC SCM 20A Pros with the Marantz AV 7008. These ATCs are from 1998, and they still sound great! :)

Best.
Mev

Hi Mev,

That's great news about your Dac :) And also that you can enjoy your old ATC's while away.
I've new Dac's on my mind at the moment, but will be buying a power inspired AG500 mains regenerator first as I've heard that 'You haven't heard your digital front end until you've fed it from a mains regenerator'.

Cheers
Matt

Postby MevDinc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Matt,

I definitely agree that clean power makes a huge difference to the sound. As you know I used battery power with my Zodiac Gold DAC. :)

Any ideas which DACs make your short list? Good luck!

Postby MattSPL » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:31 pm

MevDinc wrote:Hi Matt,

I definitely agree that clean power makes a huge difference to the sound. As you know I used battery power with my Zodiac Gold DAC. :)

Hi Mev,

Yes, it seems the power supply to a Dac is very important. I did a few minor mods to my Dac, including cutting off the push on connectors inside the Dac at the Ac input and soldering them directly to the IEC connector.
I also applied deoxit to every connector and jumper bar inside the Dac. A surprising improvement in clarity allowing more inner detail, better imaging and more textured sub bass.

Dac's I'm looking at are the Lks audio MH-DA004, Gustard X20pro and Mytek Brooklyn.
Most high end Dac and CD players use 2 or more transformers to separate digital and analogue, so that's what I've been looking at lately reading up to see what's available.

Cheers
Matt

Postby MevDinc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 pm

MattSPL wrote:

Hi Mev,

Yes, it seems the power supply to a Dac is very important. I did a few minor mods to my Dac, including cutting off the push on connectors inside the Dac at the Ac input and soldering them directly to the IEC connector.
I also applied deoxit to every connector and jumper bar inside the Dac. A surprising improvement in clarity allowing more inner detail, better imaging and more textured sub bass.

Dac's I'm looking at are the Lks audio MH-DA004, Gustard X20pro and Mytek Brooklyn.
Most high end Dac and CD players use 2 or more transformers to separate digital and analogue, so that's what I've been looking at lately reading up to see what's available.

Cheers
Matt

LKS MD-DA004 certainly seems very interesting and great value! :) Good luck.

Postby MattSPL » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 pm

MevDinc wrote:
MattSPL wrote:

Hi Mev,

Cheers
Matt

LKS MD-DA004 certainly seems very interesting and great value! :) Good luck.

Thanks Mev,

The LKS Dac certainly looks good. It will have to wait though as I've just ordered the mains regenerator
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/headmania.o ... eview/amp/

Cheers
Matt

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures