ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: MevDinc's System

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Shadorne wrote:
MevDinc wrote:Hello Everybody,

Update! :)
---
Mev

Thanks for the point pics! The black tweeter front plate looks awesome on the black gloss - your speakers are now unique looking. I nearly went for the all black version of the EL150SL which look like stealth bomber - I think ATC only ever made one set in all black - in the end I am glad I went for burr magnolia as I think the design is timeless and will have longer lasting aesthetic appeal. All black looks a bit military like especially in the non reflective mat paint.

Hi Shadorne,

Good to hear from you and you did notice my all black tweeters!

The funny thing is that I had completely overlooked the fact they'd installed a pair of black plated tweeters, completely missed it during the factory visit and for good few days after they were delivered to my home :)
It suddenly dawned on me that there was something not right but once I discovered that the tweeters were black! But I really liked them, and as you say they make my pair unique, and they do look gorgeous.
Yes, all black looks a bit military but the beautifully finished mat black does also look the business on the black gloss.
Incidentally, I'm glad I went for burr magnolia finish too, after many years it's now beautifully darkened to its final tone which may the speakers look even lovelier :)

Are you still very pleased with yours, anything new at all?
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MevDinc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Another small update:

My Lindemann Musicbook just died on me and had to go back to its maker for a treatment!

While waiting the good people of Elite Audio loaned me a SOtM SDP-1000EX DSD DAC & Preamp. Similar spec and config; very good DAC (PCM 384 and DSD 128) with very good Preamp minus the streamer.
And SOtM works on battery power as it comes with 2 battery packs installed on constant charge, as one is used the other is charged seamlessly, very clever!

I always think the battery power makes quite a bit of difference especially on the lower section of the sound, the bass always sounds deeper and cleaner! I did use my Zodiac Gold with battery power for serious listening!
Anyway, the SOtM unit is still burning away and I'm sure it'll improve in time even more but I really like it already.
Very similar performance to the Lindemann Musicbook, both very good machines with equally capable preamp, I always prefer a one box solution that can be connected directly to my wonderful P6.

I think I will still keep my Lindemann unless something drastically changes for the better with the already good SOtM until my machine returns! :)

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Mev,

Sorry to hear your Dac stopped working. Any ideas what the problem is?
The SOtM sounds good, I like the idea of battery power.

At least you can still enjoy your music :)

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MevDinc » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:24 am

Thanks Matt.
No idea what problem is, I'm still waiting to hear from Lindemann.

It's good to have a good replacement DAC to enjoy the music while waiting! :)

Postby MevDinc » Tue May 23, 2017 2:45 pm

BTW, got my Lindemann back, the power unit was replaced and they didn't know what caused it, probably a one off!
All good now and sounding wonderful.

Could Lindemann's claim 'DSD is the new analog' be true?
I wouldn't know since I've not been listening to analog for years! :)

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:42 am

Hi All,

I have been listening to the latest album from Roger Waters on TIDAL
https://tidal.com/album/74363578
Is This The Life We Really Want?

It grows on me more with each listen.
I think it's one of his best works, the album cleverly mixes his old magic with new sounds and melodies.

BUT, the beginning of the track 'Bird In A Gale' has a cleverly sampled alarm sound and every time I listened to the album I get caught unaware by it! It's so freaking real my first reaction is to mute the system thinking something's gone really wrong!
So, be warned! :)

Best.
Mev

Postby MattSPL » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi Mev

The album sounds interesting, I must give it a listen.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Previous

Return to System setup pictures