MevDinc's System

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: MevDinc's System

Postby MevDinc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:40 am

MattSPL wrote:Looks like a nice listening space Mev, with the view over the water :)

Thanks Matt.

It's a very small listening space without any treatment but my ATCs still manage to sound wonderful. :D

And yes, the views over the River Thames are wonderful too. :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi Mev,

I noticed that with the scm50's in my room too.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:16 pm

I can't say the same with my 50s. They've only started to sound more as they should when I put bass and first reflection treatment in my room - but I have an awkward, narrow room.

The best I heard 50s was in a much larger room with Esoteric D/A and preamp. Fabulous.

Postby MevDinc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:31 am

Hi Darren,

Of course, especially the bigger ATCs as with any speakers heavily benefit from room treatment and good placement to sound at their best.

Speaking of speaker placement, here's a small article which may help some of you to start experimenting with your speaker positioning, one of the most important things to get right for the best sound.
Although my current listening space doesn't allow me to experiment at all but even with slight toeing in and distance adjustments I can still hear a difference.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... placement/

I think there were more discussions and information sharing on this subject before on the forum.
Experimenting with speaker positioning doesn't cost anything and can be a lot of fun too hearing all the different results you can get. And, who knows you may end up getting much better sound than before.

Happy experimenting and listening.

Have a great weekend.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby studioman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:49 pm

MevDinc wrote:Hi Darren,

Of course, especially the bigger ATCs as with any speakers heavily benefit from room treatment and good placement to sound at their best.

Speaking of speaker placement, here's a small article which may help some of you to start experimenting with your speaker positioning, one of the most important things to get right for the best sound.
Although my current listening space doesn't allow me to experiment at all but even with slight toeing in and distance adjustments I can still hear a difference.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... placement/

I think there were more discussions and information sharing on this subject before on the forum.
Experimenting with speaker positioning doesn't cost anything and can be a lot of fun too hearing all the different results you can get. And, who knows you may end up getting much better sound than before.

Happy experimenting and listening.

Have a great weekend.
Mev

This FREE, highly professional software (both OSX and Windows versions) is very worthwhile toying with, especially the ROOM PLACEMENT aspects:

http://www.roomeqwizard.com
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MevDinc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks for sharing it! :)

Postby MevDinc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:22 am

I wish you all a great New Year! :)

Happy listening!

Best.
Mev

Postby MattSPL » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Happy new year :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MevDinc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello Everybody,

Update! :)

I've been thinking about replacing my Zodiac Gold DAC with a DSD based DAC for along time. After many months of exploring and reading I finally decided to go for a Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD!
A little box of tricks really, Streaming from TIDAL and network, internet radio, hardware up sampling to DSD256 or Native format so I can also use software to up sample. With 2 analog inputs and a great preamp it has everything I need and more.

My current environment isn't ideal for through testing but it sounds wonderful straight out of the box! Zodiac needed 400+ hours, some claimed over 800! Lets see how the new unit cooks!

I purchased the unit from the wonderful people at Elite Audio, what a friendly, professional and efficient service!
They also gave me a great deal on my Zodiac as part exchange and had it picked up at the same time the new unit was delivered!
Please check them out here:
http://www.eliteaudiouk.com/

A lot of listening and experimenting. :)
Hope to share updates as I continue to clock lot of hours.

Happy listening to all.

Mev

Postby MattSPL » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 pm

That looks extremely nice Mev :D

Postby MevDinc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 am

MattSPL wrote:That looks extremely nice Mev :D

Thanks Matt!
I'm listening to high quality Internet Lind Radio and it sounds wonderful upsampled to DSD128 :)

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:41 am

Enjoy.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Mev,

The build quality looks very solid and matches your ATC amp perfectly :D

Would you say Dac's have come on a bit in terms of sound quality since the Zodiac? Technology moves so fast, yet I always wonder how far Dac's have come since I bought mine.

Cheers
Matt

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:41 pm

@darrenyeats, Many thanks!

@Matt, Yes the build quality is superb and, well spotted, perfectly matches my ATC P6! :)

Here's the 6moons review of Musicbook 25 DSD (this one has CD too!)
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/audioreviews.html
And the Editor Srajan is also currently reviewing Musicbook 15 DSD, would be interesting to read his comments!

Zodiac Gold + Volitkus combination gave me excellent enjoyment over the years.
I believe the digital technology has come a long way and some of the DACs do sound just brilliant. So far, I can easily say that Musicbook 20 DSD sounds much better than Zodiac in a number of ways, and it also offers loads more extra, and has a preamp too.
I'm hoping it'll get even better as it continues to cook. :)

Postby Shadorne » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:10 pm

MevDinc wrote:Hello Everybody,

Update! :)

I've been thinking about replacing my Zodiac Gold DAC with a DSD based DAC for along time. After many months of exploring and reading I finally decided to go for a Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD!
A little box of tricks really, Streaming from TIDAL and network, internet radio, hardware up sampling to DSD256 or Native format so I can also use software to up sample. With 2 analog inputs and a great preamp it has everything I need and more.

My current environment isn't ideal for through testing but it sounds wonderful straight out of the box! Zodiac needed 400+ hours, some claimed over 800! Lets see how the new unit cooks!

I purchased the unit from the wonderful people at Elite Audio, what a friendly, professional and efficient service!
They also gave me a great deal on my Zodiac as part exchange and had it picked up at the same time the new unit was delivered!
Please check them out here:
http://www.eliteaudiouk.com/

A lot of listening and experimenting. :)
Hope to share updates as I continue to clock lot of hours.

Happy listening to all.

Mev

Thanks for the point pics! The black tweeter front plate looks awesome on the black gloss - your speakers are now unique looking. I nearly went for the all black version of the EL150SL which look like stealth bomber - I think ATC only ever made one set in all black - in the end I am glad I went for burr magnolia as I think the design is timeless and will have longer lasting aesthetic appeal. All black looks a bit military like especially in the non reflective mat paint.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures