ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Terry's kit rack and new 40's

Postby Topmetom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Very nice!

they really suit that room...

Postby delirio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Nice,congrats.

I also like the idea of the bi-amplification with the 2 Quads ;)
Regards
Adry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----EMT 938/EMT TSD15,Naim CDS3/PS555,ATC SCA2,ATC SCM70ASL,----

Postby edplaysdrums42 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:23 am

Very nice Terry.....i bet it sounds as good as it looks. Congratulations :)

Cheers Ed
Imac, Airport Express, Audiolab 8200CD, Rega Planar 3, Ortofon 2M Black, Rega Fono Mini, ATC SIA2-150, Harbeth C7ES3. Chord co & Black Rhodium interconnects. QED 25th Silver anniversary. Sennheiser HD380 Pro & AKG K702.

Postby Terry » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi All, Been in to see Rick :D quick update. No changes to my current hifi set-up, but I did come away with a new replacement AV amp, Yamaha RX-A 1010. Finally got it all configured and set-up over the weekend, was having a bit of trouble getting it networked and talking to the internet and iPad app :? All sorted now though.

The first disc to hand I put in the bluray player was Tron :shock: :o :twisted: :lol: the power, dynamics and control was superb it shook the entire room. Julie commented she didn't like the sofa vibrating when the bass kicked in and that the old one didn't make it do that :roll: to which I responded you'll get use to it :twisted: :lol: Regardless she didn't complain when we sat and watched the recently released bluray version of Jaws, well recommended by the way.

I'll do some updated rack/system pictures soon, as I also noticed the current pic's in this thread show the old 42" plasma, which has subsequently been replaced by a 50" Panasonic plasma.

Anyway very very pleased with the new purchase, can't fault it. A very worthwhile upgrade to my home cinema. Thanks Rick.

Cheers
Terry
Sonos Connect, DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, Quad 405-2 (x2) ATC SCM40, BK400xls

Postby MattSPL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Terry wrote:Hi All, Been in to see Rick :D quick update. No changes to my current hifi set-up, but I did come away with a new replacement AV amp, Yamaha RX-A 1010. Finally got it all configured and set-up over the weekend, was having a bit of trouble getting it networked and talking to the internet and iPad app :? All sorted now though.

The first disc to hand I put in the bluray player was Tron :shock: :o :twisted: :lol: the power, dynamics and control was superb it shook the entire room. Julie commented she didn't like the sofa vibrating when the bass kicked in and that the old one didn't make it do that :roll: to which I responded you'll get use to it :twisted: :lol: Regardless she didn't complain when we sat and watched the recently released bluray version of Jaws, well recommended by the way.

I'll do some updated rack/system pictures soon, as I also noticed the current pic's in this thread show the old 42" plasma, which has subsequently been replaced by a 50" Panasonic plasma.

Anyway very very pleased with the new purchase, can't fault it. A very worthwhile upgrade to my home cinema. Thanks Rick.

Cheers
Terry

Sounds good Terry :D
It's funny how Julie's complaint was a complement to your new equipment :lol: It sounds like fun to me :D

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby BenL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Congratulations :D Tron definitely has some crazy bass :) Look forward to the pics :)
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby Terry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:08 am

Terry wrote:Hi All, Been in to see Rick :D quick update. No changes to my current hifi set-up, but I did come away with a new replacement AV amp, Yamaha RX-A 1010. Finally got it all configured and set-up over the weekend, was having a bit of trouble getting it networked and talking to the internet and iPad app :? All sorted now though.

Cheers
Terry

Hi All, It's hard to believe I wrote the above quote some 18 months ago, where does time go :o

Regardless thought I'd pop a few pics on my thread to bring things up to date. Especially as I've also recently been in to see Rick and made another purchase!

First thing which changed was the telly from 42" panny to 50" panny, nothing to special, but works for me.

.....next was the AV amp I mention above. Yamaha RX-A1010

Then lastly and most recent was this :D

I have followed the DSpeaker antimode 2.0 Dual Core with much interest. Everyone seemed to be very complimentary about it.....what's my view :!:

How does it perform, well all as I can say is everything I read and then some. Please don't interpret this as new box syndrome or some placebo effect of a new toy. The effect really has to be heard it produces an amazing difference.

Within the levels of my kit I presumed, no doubt as many others that I'd got a good/decent sound, not to everyones taste or the levels of some, but I liked it and was happy. So why the change, this ultimately came down to box count. Did I think I had any low frequency/room issues, well no not really. I have often read about the effects the room has on the system with great interest. Something Shadorne (and others) often comments on and points out. But I've always disregarded the need and the thoughts of tackling it through any conventional methods as my system is in the lounge. I don't think my better halve would like big foam panels stuck on the walls :lol: So I bought the dual core, from my rack it has replaced my Quad pre-amp and MF M1 DAC. Once initially connected up, which is not difficult, I ran the calibration programme placing the mic at my listening position. The programme takes about 15mins to run where the box outputs a series of sweeping test tones through the speakers. When completed it uses the in built algorithms to produce a before and after graph, see above pic. The before is the red trace and black being post processing. Now on viewing the graph and being a bit sceptical I've often wonder how people who claim they can hear a 50Hz spike manage it, because being honest I don't think I'd get anywhere near. Regardless I could see what the graph was telling me, so with much anticipation I put some music on. Well it blew me away, the bass was so much better controlled, tight, no boom or overhang the notes stop and start where the sound engineer intended. The sub integration into the sound stage is now remarkable to the point I had to check it was still on as it is so coherent and seamless. Additionally the mid range and HF now have so much more detail. Its hard to work out where this improvement comes from; is it the DSP, DAC or pre-amp changes. One thing I would say is the in built locally clocked jitter free DAC surpasses my MF M1. There is also no noticeable degradation from not having the pre-amp in the loop. I could go on, but hopefully you now get the gist, I think this is quite an astonishing little box of tricks, of which I have only scratched the surface of its capability. Add in the connection versatility, create-able profiles, filters, DSP correction up to 500Hz, lift and tilt, etc etc etc and the list goes on; a great purchase :)

If there are any negatives I would say only two.....1. The remote is a cheap and nasty credit card sized thing......but works ok 2. The big bold text on the front of the box could be a bit more subtle......and thats it.

A very happy
Terry

Postby MattSPL » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 am

Hi Terry

Nice update :D
I'm glad you have posted about the Dual core Antimode, it's something i want to try at some stage. It sounds like a great piece of kit.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Terry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi Matt, Thanks :D

Throughly recommended, well worth a try.

Terry

Postby BenL » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Room is looking fantastic Terry, congrats :D Great job on hiding the cabling :)

Thanks also for the write up on the antimode. I can't really afford any hifi / av kit at the moment but this is one thing that interests me, as I think I may have a bass room resonance. Can you tinker further after the before and after or do you have to rely on its own calculations?

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby Terry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 pm

BenL wrote:Room is looking fantastic Terry, congrats :D Great job on hiding the cabling :)

Thanks also for the write up on the antimode. I can't really afford any hifi / av kit at the moment but this is one thing that interests me, as I think I may have a bass room resonance. Can you tinker further after the before and after or do you have to rely on its own calculations?

Ben thanks

Although I'm still learning and need to play around more it pretty much appears to be free format to tinker plenty post calibration. It can either be fit and forget or tinker around as desired.

The manual quotes the following capability....

1. The House curve tool adjusts target curve for the low frequencies (bass).
"The House curve tool provides a method of changing the target curve of the bass response. The motivation behind a house curve is in the sensitivity of the human auditory system and the hearing threshold – in addition to personal preference, of course. When sound pressure level is low enough, we are no longer able to hear the lowest bass frequencies, some emphasis may be required. It is easy to add a boosting equalizer to the lower bass region using the house curve tool"

2. The Tilt curve tool adjusts target curve for the higher frequencies (treble).
"The Tilt curve tool provides a method of changing the overall frequency response slope of the treble. The motivation behind a tilt curve is (along personal preference) to compensate differences in various recordings. One can, for example, make a profile with treble tilted down to tame too “bright“ recordings"

3. Enable or disable the built-in infrasonic filter. Select between three most common cut-off frequencies (10 Hz, 15 Hz, and 20 Hz).
"The Infrasonic filter tool is a quick way to apply a subsonic highpass filter that filters out the signals below the audible band. The motivation behind an Infrasonic filter is to protect the woofer cones and to eliminate the effect of infrasonic harmonics and/or inter-modulation distortion. It is recommended to use an infrasonic filter whenever excessive house curve or low frequency boosting parametric equalizers are applied"

4. The Custom parametric equalizer tool creates filters with freely adjustable center frequency, bandwidth and gain. Up to 16 independent filter slots available.
"The Custom Parametric Equalizers (PEQs) are very versatile filter structures that can implement a wide range of different bandstop, bandpass, highpass and lowpass filters"

5. The Lowpass or highpass tool. Create lowpass or highpass filters with the desired characteristics.
"The Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core features fully customizable highpass and lowpass filters. These filters can be used to control the pass-band of the speaker or subwoofer. For example, with a custom lowpass, it is easy to implement a more precise digital cross- over filter for a subwoofer. A custom highpass filter can be used to attenuate lower frequencies and thus prevent them from reaching the main speakers"

Hope that helps :D
Terry

Postby BenL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm

That's very helpful, thanks Terry :) Sounds like a very flexible product. Are you using EQ just on your sub? Let us know when you delve into it a bit further. Sounds like I also need to read up on it a bit more.

Postby Terry » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 pm

BenL wrote:That's very helpful, thanks Terry :) Sounds like a very flexible product. Are you using EQ just on your sub? Let us know when you delve into it a bit further. Sounds like I also need to read up on it a bit more.

Ben, yes very flexible, I'll keep posting as I learn more :geek:

With regards to my set-up and what it's doing, also to hopefully answer your question.....

The EQ is being applied to both sub and speakers up to 250Hz. The before and after graph pic I originally uploaded to the thread shows EQ only being applied up to 150Hz. I have subsequently changed this and re-ran the calibration so it EQ's up to 250Hz. My sub has a low level input/LFE and high level input/speaker line level, both these inputs have separate and independent gain controls. (I use the one sub for both AV and HiFi without having to change settings). So the high line level input is driven straight from the back of the power amps. The sub crossover is set to 50Hz just where the 40's start to roll off. Within the Anti-Mode the calibration wizard asks for set-up info, 0.1, 0.2, 2.0 etc. With the HiFi sub connection being line level option 2.0 is the correct choice as this captures the entire sound output frequency range during calibration and the subsequent EQ applied; 15Hz(ish!) > 50Hz the cross over setting of the sub, then 50Hz > 250Hz the upper bass/lower mid point on the 40's(ish).

Hope that makes sense :)
Terry

Postby Terry » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 pm

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... processor/

Interesting article :geek: not only about the 2.0 dual core, it also touches on the benefits of DSP EQ'ing.

Terry :)

Postby MattSPL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Terry wrote:http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/dspeaker-anti-mode-20-dualcore-digital-signal-processor/

Interesting article :geek: not only about the 2.0 dual core, it also touches on the benefits of DSP EQ'ing.

Terry :)

Yes, good article Terry :)

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures