My system

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: My system

Postby tw99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Updates to show Naim amps replaced and the new Sub. Second two are lousy pictures, I'll try to do better sometime...

DPP_2482 - Copy by tw_tvam, on Flickr

P1020946 - Copy by tw_tvam, on Flickr

P1020949 - Copy by tw_tvam, on Flickr
NACD3.5 | SBT / DSpeaker anti-mode 2.0 / SIA2-150 / SCM40 + C1

Postby MattSPL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Looking good :D
Is that the final position of the sub where you found it sounds best?

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby tw99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 pm

There's not really anywhere else it can go TBH... But it seems OK there.

Postby MattSPL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Ok. Looks nice anyway :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby BenL » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Very nice - amp seems to work better aesthetically! :D How has the sound improved? Do you use the sub for music?
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby tw99 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Haven't noticed much difference with the sound between the Naim amps and the ATC. Yes, I do use the sub with music as well.

Postby tw99 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

I'd made a lot of changes to my system in the last 9 months, initially triggered by wanting to fix the bottom end response in my small-medium size living room (3.5 x 4.5 x 2.4m). Changing to ATC speakers cleaned things up immensely compared to the rear-ported Dynaudios I had previously.

The linearity of the ATCs then started to make it quite obvious that there were some serious room modes. One very big resonance in the 30-40Hz region, another in the 80Hz region. Not noticeable on a lot of material, but making some tracks sound quite odd if a strong bass note just happened to hit the room mode.

Passive room treatments are a complete non-starter for WAF reasons, and I am an unbeliever in tinkering with cables making any difference, so was set to live with the effect. Then I came across some positive reviews of the DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, and a few weeks later a brand-new one came up for sale on PFM at a bit of a discount, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The box is easy to plumb in, although arguably would benefit from having more inputs available to allow easier use with multiple sources. The calibration routine with the supplied mic. runs in about 10 minutes, and shows you the graph of results at the end. Note that the unit doesn't try to correct nulls, it only flattens the excess responses, by default up to 150Hz.

I'm using it via optical out from the SBT, so there's no A-D stage involved, it's operating on the numbers directly, and then through RCAs into a pre-amp input, so not really using the pre-amp capability of the Anti-Mode, and then into the speakers (SCM40 + C1 Sub). The Sub is driven from the low level amp Sub output, so as far as the Anti-Mode is concerned, it's output is adjusted along with the main stereo pair.

I'm extremely impressed with the result. The worst room effects have almost all gone, and I've got what sounds like pretty linear response down below 30hz where the Sub is filling in well underneath the mains. I can't detect any difference in sound quality other than the change in the bass, which seems to be in line with what other reviewers have said - the unit is as near transparent as you could expect from something that's doing some pretty complicated signal processing. What I may still do is alter the positions of the speakers a bit and recalibrate to see if I can do anything about any of the suckouts that remain.

It has a bypass button so you can turn the correction on and off, and you can probably drive yourself mad with that if so inclined ! My plan is once I'm happy with the setup, to leave it turned on, forget it and enjoy the results.

I totally get the theory that passive correction is preferable, but if you don't have that option for whatever reason, the Anti-Mode 2.0 may be the answer you're looking for.

P1020956 (Small) by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Postby MattSPL » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Looks like a nice result you got there :D

Postby Terry » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi tw99, Nice set-up :D

I've had my anti-mode a couple of months now, (see my system thread) and think it's a great little box :) I use all the anti-mode functionality; DSP, pre-amp and DAC with no noticeable loss in SQ from when I used a separate pre-amp and DAC. The bass is much tighter has more definition with no boom or overhang.

I'd like to ask you to expand on your last comment.

"I totally get the theory that passive correction is preferable".....

Why is that?

If we go back twenty years or so I recall there always being an audiophile culture that seems to still exist today. I remember tone controls on an amp being sneered at and audiophiles looking down long noses. "that cannot possibly be hifi it has bass and treble controls" Quad 1980's "lift" and "tilt" are effectively tone controls, heaven forbid should you have had a 10 band slidey knob graphic equaliser :roll: Some of this I can understand and relate to because anything which interferes with the signal in the amplifier is adding distortion of some description to what is output from the speakers. But DSP devices correct the signal in advance of being passed to the amplifier. The correction is entirely pre-amplification and in the digital domain. The amplifier still receives a pure signal and the only thing it adds is it's own signature. The subsequent benefits now being corrected and tailored to your specific listening environment.

I'm sure some will disagree or those with more knowledge dispute my comments. But take a look at pro gear amps, Lyngdorf, good subs, home cinema amps etc etc they all use or are starting to use some form of built in DSP.

I personally do not see anything wrong with this form of EQ and am enjoying my music much more since buying the Anti-mode. At the end of the day what sounds good to you has to be good no matter how you achieved it.

This is just my two pennies worth :D
Terry
Sonos Connect, DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, Quad 405-2 (x2) ATC SCM40, BK400xls

Postby tw99 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 pm

The speakers would be much more linear in a better acoustic environment, so it seems sensible to me to get that as right as you can before throwing electronics at the problem as there's only so much that processing can fix. In my case there's not much I can do acoustically, so I'm happy to accept just the improvement from the electronics.

Postby tw99 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:16 pm

We moved to a bigger house at the end of last year, and needed to buy new furniture as a result. The living room is now pretty much done apart from needing some more pictures.

When we moved in the room sounded really awful. The recent addition of a big furry rug has made it much better as a listening space, although it's probably still a little too "live" sounding due to the large windows, stud walls and wooden floor. So I'm wondering about getting some acoustic panels of some sort to deaden it a bit further. The system itself hasn't changed from the previous house, although it does occur to me that I have room for ATC50s at least now :)

ImageDPP_4755 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

ImageDPP_4756 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

ImageDPP_4757 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Postby MattSPL » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Very nice! Great system and room :D

Previous

Return to System setup pictures