Mark's system upgrade

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Mark's system upgrade

Postby markvh1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Zulef wrote:Hi

Congrats for the speakers! I would love to get a pair like these one day. :D
If you want to get better soundstage, you should try moving them around 1,5 meter away from rear wall. Try to set your listening distance in a equilateral triangle from both speakers. That is how I would start.

Regards
Z

Thanks.
That is what i have done. They are just a smidgen over 1m from the back wall.
HiFi: Preamp ATC CDA2, ATC SCM50 ASLT, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Chord QBD76 DAC, Sonos ZP90. Monitor Audio GSW-12 Subwoofer. iPad 2. WD NAS.
AV: Sony Bravia 40" LCD, Sony S363 BDP, Sony 500GB DVD recorder, Pioneer VSX-920 AV. Monitor Audio Radius HD, 270HD, 225HD 90HD. Monitor Audio GSW-12 Subwoofer. HDR-1000S/500GB

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:48 pm

Equilateral triangle (or, if restricted by the room, moving nearer to one) is a good idea for sound stage.

IMO when it comes to sound stage, better balanced tone is actually more important per se than the reflections from the back wall. Don't be afraid to move the speakers further back or wider in the course of prioritising tonality and equilateral triangle shape. Sound stage will take care of itself when tone is balanced. Obviously it's a balancing act and if you can have it all far from boundaries, that's obviously the best!

Postby Dogill » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Oddly I find with my new speakers that soundstage doesn't matter so much any more, they are so transparent that the layering is obvious even in mono.
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby Zulef » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Musicraft wrote:Hi Shardone

Indeed, the new Super SH25-76S tweeter does look awesome :)

Not sure whether you've seen this but -

Technical data for ATC's new Super SH25-76S Soft Dome Tweeter

The SH25-76S is ATC's premium 25mm soft dome tweeter, designed and built with the same no compromise philosophy as all other ATC drive units and to perfectly compliment the renowned SM-75-150S Super Dome mid-range driver.

Unlike almost any other 25mm tweeter on the market the SH-25-76S is a dual suspension design which ensures pistonic motion, suppressing anhramonic rocking mode, even at high drive level, and enables the use of narrower magnetic gaps, this, along with a short coil, long gap configuration ensures unparalled lineraity and incredibly low distortion throughout its intended operating band. The soft dome diaphragm is based on a complex geometry which maximises power transfer from the former, extending the high frequency response and giving a smooth off-axis response.

The massive neodymium motor with heat treated top plate is optimised to give a 20,000 gauss (2.0 Tesla) in the magnetic gap, extending the frequency response well beyond 20kHz and resulting in moderately high sensitivity, even with the very strong, well-damped structures employed. The huge motor assembly also performs the secondary function of dissipating heat away from the coil and ensuring high power handling and low power compression. The motor topology and moving assembly design negate the requirement for ferro fluid. The SH25-76S is therefore, free from the detrimental effects of this drying out over time.

The geometery of the waveguide is designed for optimum dispersion and an extended on-axis frequency response. It is made from a precision machined alloy so that the entire structure is extremely rigid and free from resonances.

Specification-

Sensitivity: 91.5 +/- 0.5dB/W @ 1m

Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms

Frequency Lineraity (+/- 2dB): 1.5kHz to 22kHz

Cut-Off Frequency (-6dB): 26kHz

Dispersion: +/-80 degrees Coherent

Magnetic Gap Height: 3.0mm

Coil Length: 2.0mm

Magnetic Gap Flux Density: 2.0 Tesla/20,000 Gauss

Weight: 0.34kg

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

Do you know maybe more about heat treatment of neodymium magnets? If they reach 100 degrees....

Best
Z

Postby Alexk » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I don't think the magnet would ever reach 100ºc. The coil would burn out before all that metal (faceplate included) could get to those sorts of temperatures.

In other news, I had heat coming off the front of my SCM20 SL midbass drivers the other day after a long day in the studio with a producer who likes it loud :shock:

Previous

Return to System setup pictures