Richmond Project

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Richmond Project

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Shadorne,
I always assumed the Anniversary amps and P6 were basically the same technology. However, I'm not sure about it.

I think the amps are less important than the other differences in the models (and we're assuming all being equal with acoustics, which as Brad mentioned in the other thread is most important).

I have no doubt that the Classics/Towers/Pros get you 90% of the way there, but then I would jump at the chance to hear EL150 in a large well-treated room! Alas, I have a small room.

Postby MevDinc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:21 pm

I am afraid I don't have any specific information but it's known that the anniversary amp packs use better electronics than the normal ones.
ATC states that the P6 employs "Ultra low noise discrete design throughout".
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Dogill » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:31 pm

There is the small disadvantage of having long loudspeaker cables with the P6. No doubt ATC's cables are good, though ( how much does a pair of P6 replacement cables cost ? )
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Dogill wrote:There is the small disadvantage of having long loudspeaker cables with the P6. No doubt ATC's cables are good, though ( how much does a pair of P6 replacement cables cost ? )

Don't know but in theory a shorter cable would be best. In practice I don't think any reasonable cable length is something worth even considering. All the big studio main in wall monitors, as I understand it, have P4's in a rack a distance from the speaker box.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:14 pm

MevDinc wrote:I am afraid I don't have any specific information but it's known that the anniversary amp packs use better electronics than the normal ones.
ATC states that the P6 employs "Ultra low noise discrete design throughout".

Discrete means individual components but standard amp packs are discrete already. Ultra low noise could be a better op amp but my guess is ATC would standardize on what is readily available and works best for all their amps. The specs are excellent but indeed the specs on many high end power amps are excellent too. Maybe they don't have the soft limiters like in the regular designs? One thing for sure is they are dead quiet - no audible hiss from the tweeters at all - but then again my much older 100's are good that way too (darn hard to tell if they are on or not unless music is playing). My old 100's have what they call a MK II amp pack that was an improvement over their original design. Presumably the newer designs are incrementally improved too - this is the big advantage of ATC - you get proven technology rather then an entirely new line up each season (as most manufacturers do). I have nothing against new models each year for Prada but it seems kind of suspicious that many other audio manufacturers keep changing designs and sometimes quite radically that is clearly audible - it suggests they are not pursuing better sound in a logical engineered way but are more like Prada: creating new designs to help sell to those who want something new. Alternatively, they don't control the components within their designs (since they outsource everything) and therefore are forced to re-engineer every 3 to 5 years due to obsolescence of parts or manufacturing runs. Anyway, I know most people don't care, but I really like the fact that the new 2014 EL150 sounds just like my 1995 SCM20 only with better clarity dynamics, SPL capability & bass extension but the sound remains very much consistent!!!
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Postby MevDinc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Very nice! :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby scm100 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 am

Congratulations. ....they look superb and no doubt sound even better.
ATC SM100 ASL PRO , SCM20 ASL PRO MK2 , Two ATC C4 SCM 0.1/12 Subwoofers.
Bel Canto Pre6 Gen2 multi channel preamp , Oppo BDP95 , Wadia WT3200 cd transport , Benchmark dac1 HDR.
Technics SL1000MK3 turntable , Dynavector 17d3 , Whest PS30R.

Postby darrenyeats » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:17 am

Shadorne, assuming the last photo is from the listening position, the speaker placement looks narrow. If the speakers must be there I'd place them wider especially the left one, but since the room is so large I'd consider firing across the room. An equilateral triangle with speakers and listener is an ideal goal, even if often not practical, but you seem to have more space than most!

Postby Shadorne » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:16 pm

darrenyeats wrote:Shadorne, assuming the last photo is from the listening position, the speaker placement looks narrow. If the speakers must be there I'd place them wider especially the left one, but since the room is so large I'd consider firing across the room. An equilateral triangle with speakers and listener is an ideal goal, even if often not practical, but you seem to have more space than most!

The lens is wide angle so they are further apart than they look but I will indeed try your suggestions. I have not begun to play with placement yet - just set them up and flicked on the power and can't stop listening! It took me a week to put the spikes on! They indeed sound good but so do all ATC's!!!

Postby Shadorne » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:17 pm

scm100 wrote:Congratulations. ....they look superb and no doubt sound even better.

Thanks.

Merry Xmas to all!

Postby MevDinc » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Shadorne,

I've shared more info and comments on my own system post but the following link has good info that I've found very useful in terms of speaker placement.

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

I use 29% method, I have my speakers along the long wall, and my listening position is quite close to the speakers.

Merry Xmas and happy new year to all! :)

Best.
Mev

Postby Dogill » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:01 pm

In last year's review in a German magazine they found a distance of 4 m optimal.
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby dimis » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Placement of speakers of this caliber should be done only using a microphone and measurement gear. I am sure Shadorne will agree.
MacBook Pro with Dirac Live > Metric Halo Lio-8 > ATC SCM100ASL Pro + twin SVS SB13 ultra

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:08 am

dimis wrote:Placement of speakers of this caliber should be done only using a microphone and measurement gear. I am sure Shadorne will agree.

I agree. I have not has the time so far! Did you do that? And what room EQ solution did you use if any? I see lots of good comments about Dirac software over at computeraudiophile. I ran Audyssey XT32 once quickly but I like it less than the sound straight from the DAC2! I need to investigate further!

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures