Richmond Project

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Richmond Project

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:12 am

MevDinc wrote:Hi Shadorne,

I've shared more info and comments on my own system post but the following link has good info that I've found very useful in terms of speaker placement.

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

I use 29% method, I have my speakers along the long wall, and my listening position is quite close to the speakers.

Merry Xmas and happy new year to all! :)

Best.
Mev

The golden rule works for sure. These speakers offer very good placement flexibility compared to regular 100 or 150! Sounds like you enjoy the cross firing short wall placement solution favoured by John Dunlavy?
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:19 am

Dogill wrote:In last year's review in a German magazine they found a distance of 4 m optimal.

I prefer a farfield position as it sounds more natural & spacious to me but it does result in more room reflections. Others prefer a more precise near field position which is essential for critical listening.

I think these speakers work at any listening distance greater than a couple of meters provided you can achieve the right height so as to have the ears at the level of the midrange.

How far do you sit back from your 100's.

Do you have any favorite tracks that show off the new tweeter?
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby MevDinc » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:40 am

Shadorne wrote:
MevDinc wrote:Hi Shadorne,

I've shared more info and comments on my own system post but the following link has good info that I've found very useful in terms of speaker placement.

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

I use 29% method, I have my speakers along the long wall, and my listening position is quite close to the speakers.

Merry Xmas and happy new year to all! :)

Best.
Mev

The golden rule works for sure. These speakers offer very good placement flexibility compared to regular 100 or 150! Sounds like you enjoy the cross firing short wall placement solution favoured by John Dunlavy?

Hi Shadorne,

I certainly prefer/enjoy the cross firing short wall placement:
I have a few acoustic treatment panels on all walls (reasonably balanced room).
The room is about 40 square meters.

My current placement:
- 2.10M from side walls, 1.30M from the wall behind the speakers; measured from the front and centre of the speakers.
- The distance between speakers is 3.35M
- My listening position is about 3.6M (very close to the German magazine finding!).
- With a slight toe-in
- Minimises side wall reflections.
- Flexibility for selecting optimum distance between speakers (this distance greatly impacts sound stage and imaging)
- I also sit very close to the wall behind me (60-70cm), this minimises/gets rid of any reflections from the wall behind me.

Sitting this close to these lovely and big speakers is like listening to music with the biggest and the best pair of headphones you could have!
I listen to music for hours with no fatigue.

Some of my favourite test tracks:
Sunshower, Stan Getz
Keith Don't Go, Nils Lofgren (Live recording 24/96kHz)
Daytona, Chris Rea
Long After You're Gone, Chris Jones
Run Your Finger Through My Hair, Blues Company

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Dogill » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Sorry I think they meant 4m distance between the speakers for the soundstage to suddenly open up !

I like listening very close - with speakers of low distortion this is no problem and I find listening from a distance too "pale"
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby darrenyeats » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:43 pm

My rules of thumb (not laws!):
1. "Optimal" positions for centres of bass drivers (NOT cabinet sides or rears) are at an odd fraction of each room dimension* (could be 1/3, 1/5, 1/7, 1/9 etc). The odd fraction chosen for each dimension may be different. If the speakers have variable height stands, you can also include the vertical dimension.
2. Same for listening position/height except in the lateral dimension of course!
3. Start off trying an equilateral triangle near field in the middle of the room. To maintain (1) and (2), locations jump and these will rarely be exactly equilateral. If there's not enough bass (certainly not in my room) you can do one of the following or both:
(a) Move the speakers back and wider, still trying to maintain an equilateral triangle or the nearest to, but not worrying too much if this becomes impractical at a certain point given the room space.
(b) Move the listening position back.
4. Keep doing (3), and you may reach a point where the speakers or listening position are at or near boundaries. Have fun and experiment, listen to the pros and cons of various options. Experiment with listening positions and different ends of the room, firing across the room or down its length! Yep, favour positions away from boundaries - but if you can't find a solution with enough bass away from room boundaries, then don't be scared of experimenting nearer or at boundaries (ignore audiophiles and listen to Joe Public - "It's All About That Bass!" or better put "natural bottom/top balance is the first priority acknowledging other priorities exist"!)

If the speakers end up near to side walls then some side wall treatment becomes important. Either absorption panels or diffraction shapes (e.g. http://www.jocaviacousticpanels.com/uk/ ... /index.htm).

I like these rules of thumb because they allow many possible positions in a given room - it's so important to experiment since each system and room is different! But you can do all this still within a guiding structure.

This is just positioning, we haven't started talking about treatments yet!

* If the room has sloped boundaries or recesses, "virtual" boundaries and dimensions must be calculated.
Last edited by darrenyeats on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Mevdinc,

Those are a great selection of tracks. I am going to experiment with the setup based on your experience.

This simple Blues cover is amazing as a demo - just acoustic instruments - Taj Mahal cover of Honky tonk Woman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Cr5fh9fXI

Postby AlmaataKZ » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Shadorne wrote:
AlmaataKZ wrote:Wait a minute... Do I see a sub in some of the pics? :o

Good catch - eagle eyes - :shock: . There is indeed a C6 sub in matching magnolia burr (also in high gloss).

OMG!
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby MevDinc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Shadorne wrote:Mevdinc,

Those are a great selection of tracks. I am going to experiment with the setup based on your experience.

This simple Blues cover is amazing as a demo - just acoustic instruments - Taj Mahal cover of Honky tonk Woman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Cr5fh9fXI

Hi Shadorne,

I'm not sure if I shared the following link before but you may find it useful for experimenting!
I look forward to reading your results.

http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/

Best wishes to everyone for the new year! :)
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi Shadorne,

You've gone all quite, hopefully because you're just enjoying your EL150s :)

I have been listening to some Ben Harper recently and I must say his music is great to listen to through the ATCs! The music is well recorded with great dynamics and good detail!
I have the 24-96 hi-res versions of Welcome To The Cruel World, The Will To Live and Fight For Your Mind.

Generally all three albums are great but my favourites are:
Forever
Like A King
Jah Work
I Want To Be Ready
Oppression
Please Me Like You Want to
Excuse Me Mr.

Best.
Mev

Postby Shadorne » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:39 am

Hi MevDinc,

I have been enjoying the speakers.

Learning to play The Ocean with my band and other Zep classics. So been busy in the evenings.

These ATC's allow you to hear the phone ring, the squeaky kick drum pedal and every detail on that recording.

http://youtu.be/MrV6exi1WlM

Postby Dogill » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:26 pm

For something different from that era try Soft Machine Vol 1&2 with its incredible mixes, eg "Orange Skin Food" really taxes a midrange driver !
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby MevDinc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Good to hear you're enjoying your ATCs Sahdorne, and Dogill, you must be too! :)

I can't wait to upgrade my tweeters!

Postby Shadorne » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Dogill wrote:For something different from that era try Soft Machine Vol 1&2 with its incredible mixes, eg "Orange Skin Food" really taxes a midrange driver !

Wow Kool. Somehow I missed these guys yet I am a big fan of Jean Michel Jarre

http://youtu.be/nz1cEO01LLc

Postby Shadorne » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:32 pm

MevDinc wrote:Good to hear you're enjoying your ATCs Sahdorne, and Dogill, you must be too! :)

I can't wait to upgrade my tweeters!

Cosmetic surgery sure is a global trend. The natural ATC tweeters are already awesome though... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Merry Christmas to all. Life is good with a pair of ATC's!

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures