Richmond Project

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Richmond Project

Postby MevDinc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Gorgeous looking beasts! :)

Just realised that my upgraded tweeter plates are not white as yours or as the originals were.
But I quite like the new ones as they are, the black seems to look quite nice on gloss black! :)

Merry Xmas to you too Shadorne and a happy new year! :)
Last edited by MevDinc on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:37 am

Shadorne wrote:Merry Christmas to all. Life is good with a pair of ATC's!

Merry Christmas :D
Great photo too :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Shadorne » Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Needed to make ATC EL150ASL toddler proof and here it is:

"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Wed May 17, 2017 9:58 pm

"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Postby AlmaataKZ » Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Ah, Shadorne is back!

What kind of spider grille is that? Never seen one like that on ATCVs.
Is it a bespoke custom job or is it a commercially available product? Is it specific for the ATC model? Is it from ATC?
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby MevDinc » Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Looks like 15 inch ATC drivers turned into massive turbine engines!
Custom made I'm assuming.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Sun May 21, 2017 3:59 pm

The kids must be playing football in the house, they look like they'd survive it anyway :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Shadorne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:14 am

I found a car audio grill that fits exactly! I have added mosquito net fibre fabric over the top to make the speakers totally toddler proof!

Speaker cones are irresistible to little fingers...now if only I could find a way to stop him grabbing and turning up the volume control - the little monster!

I don't care for the aesthetics so these will come off when he is 6 or 7.

Postby Shadorne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:22 am

I will update my setup. I had a Benchmark DAC 2 for a couple of years and now in the process of upgrading to a DAC 3. I will post my comments in a few weeks. DAC 2 was solid no complaints but I don't like the mute function when playing live concert albums on Tidal. I suspect the Tidal application is setting my Mac mini output to match the sample rate of the file at the start of each track and this yields a half second of mute in particular on live albums. Obviously I want to preserve the sample rate of the original file (this varies in Tidal from CD to Master 24/88 or 24/96 quality) and I prefer to use my DAC to do all the Up sampling so I set Tidal to control the sample rate to ensure this is always the case.

For iTunes I do the same and always match sample rate out to be that of the original file - I use Bitperfect app for that purpose.

Postby linger63 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:25 am

Shadorne wrote:I will update my setup. I had a Benchmark DAC 2 for a couple of years and now in the process of upgrading to a DAC 3. I will post my comments in a few weeks. DAC 2 was solid no complaints but I don't like the mute function when playing live concert albums on Tidal. I suspect the Tidal application is setting my Mac mini output to match the sample rate of the file at the start of each track and this yields a half second of mute in particular on live albums. Obviously I want to preserve the sample rate of the original file (this varies in Tidal from CD to Master 24/88 or 24/96 quality) and I prefer to use my DAC to do all the Up sampling so I set Tidal to control the sample rate to ensure this is always the case.

For iTunes I do the same and always match sample rate out to be that of the original file - I use Bitperfect app for that purpose.

I have a Benchmark DAC2 which I quite enjoy.
Looking forward to your thoughts on how it compares to the new DAC3 with great interest.

Postby Shadorne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

linger63 wrote:
Shadorne wrote:I will update my setup. I had a Benchmark DAC 2 for a couple of years and now in the process of upgrading to a DAC 3. I will post my comments in a few weeks. DAC 2 was solid no complaints but I don't like the mute function when playing live concert albums on Tidal. I suspect the Tidal application is setting my Mac mini output to match the sample rate of the file at the start of each track and this yields a half second of mute in particular on live albums. Obviously I want to preserve the sample rate of the original file (this varies in Tidal from CD to Master 24/88 or 24/96 quality) and I prefer to use my DAC to do all the Up sampling so I set Tidal to control the sample rate to ensure this is always the case.

Looking forward to your thoughts on how it compares to the new DAC3 with great interest.

I was prepared for the DAC3 to be inaudible vs the DAC2. That was my expectation bias going in. I am frankly astonished. The DAC3 is very much audibly BETTER than the DAC2. It is frankly the biggest improvement I have heard since the DAC1 first came out over 15 years ago. I don't know if my DAC2 was simply a dud but the measured improvements in performance of the DAC3 do NOT justify what I have been hearing! There is much more going on. It may be the new ES 9028 chip but I hear clarity and detail at an unprecedented level while still sounding more analog than I have ever heard except from analog. I hope to compare to the Gustard X20 Pro but anecdotally I have heard that the Gustard x20 pro is indistinguishable from the DAC2. Frankly, from what I have read regarding reliability and all of the mods required to get it working properly, I would not touch the Gustard in a million years but for those on a budget I can see the attraction - especially as the DAC3 is so expensive in Europe!

Postby Shadorne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Shadorne wrote:
linger63 wrote:

I was prepared for the DAC3 to be inaudible vs the DAC2. That was my expectation bias going in. I am frankly astonished. The DAC3 is very much audibly BETTER than the DAC2. It is frankly the biggest improvement I have heard since the DAC1 first came out over 15 years ago. I don't know if my DAC2 was simply a dud but the measured improvements in performance of the DAC3 do NOT justify what I have been hearing! There is much more going on. It may be the new ES 9028 chip but I hear clarity and detail at an unprecedented level while still sounding more analog than I have ever heard except from analog. I hope to compare to the Gustard X20 Pro but anecdotally I have heard that the Gustard x20 pro (when setup correctly with i2s) is indistinguishable from the DAC2. Frankly, from what I have read regarding reliability and all of the mods required to get it working properly, I would not touch the Gustard in a million years but for those on a budget I can see the attraction - especially as the DAC3 is so expensive in Europe!

Previous

Return to System setup pictures