Richmond Project

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Richmond Project

Postby MattSPL » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 am

Looking good :D

Are they powered up yet?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:13 pm

MattSPL wrote:Looking good :D

Are they powered up yet?

Yes. And they sound just like....ATC! Which is good because that is the way they should sound.

A wee bit more clarity & effortless openness than the smaller models and obviously a bit more bass than my 100's. The sound is all ATC however with near perfect balance from top to bottom. I like the tweeter a lot. It is not a night and day difference compared to Vifa or excel (those are still good sounding tweeters) but with percussion there is most definitely an audible improvement in fidelity - it doesn't even sound like a tweeter it just sounds more like music - so integration is better overall with absolutely no hype or splash or "hi-fi" sound - it just sounds like the real thing, as it should.

Tweeter improvement is most apparent on percussion like a china crash. Check out "On Broadway Live" (with incomparable Harvey Mason on drums) from George Benson's "Weekend in LA" album (recorded by the incomparable Al Schmitt)! The music never sounded better. The percussion is so realistic!
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Dogill » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:47 pm

I also noticed the percussion first.
But also woodwind is so much more lifelike !
Also the double bass section of the orchestra...i could go on !
Weiss DAC 502, ATC100SE

Postby MevDinc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Shadorne,

Wait till you clock some real hours on them, the bass will really open up and put a big smile on your face :)

Enjoy!

Cheers.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Sounds good Shadorne and Dogill :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Shadorne » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:15 am

"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:19 am

Postby MevDinc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Shadorne,

We are sure you're busy listening to your wonderful system but it would be great to see more pics, and read more of your comments/reactions! :)
I'm particularly interested in the placement and positioning of your EL150s.

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Shadorne » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:40 pm

MevDinc wrote:Shadorne,

We are sure you're busy listening to your wonderful system but it would be great to see more pics, and read more of your comments/reactions! :)
I'm particularly interested in the placement and positioning of your EL150s.

Best.
Mev

more pics...

Postby Shadorne » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Sound is excellent. They allow for placement close to the back wall which works well as it eliminates quarter wave rear wall cancellation (which causes nulls in the bass). In fact they sound best to me just straight with no room correction from Audyssey.

Coupled with Benchmark DAC2 L - this is the best sound I have ever heard. It is not hyped at all. It is super well balanced and natural sounding. It definitely sounds like other ATC - so those with SCM20ASL or SCM50ASL and an ATC subwoofer can be assured they are getting close to this sound for far less. The difference is in their effortless clarity & subtlety. Huge speakers that do not sound like huge speakers. To pick an analogy they sound like an elegant ballerina and nothing like a the usual giant audiophile speaker would be expected to sound. The fireworks however are there when the music calls for it and the ballerina that dances on a pin head can instantaneously throw a thunderous punch without missing a single step in her bourree.

Postby Shadorne » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Postby MevDinc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks Shadorne, both the speakers and the P6 look stunning!
Your description of the ATC sound and performance is spot on too :)

BTW, I have mine placed along the long wall; 2.4M from the side walls and 1.3M from the back. (measured from the centre and front of the speakers).

Enjoy!

Postby AlmaataKZ » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Serious machines these are!
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby Dogill » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Shadorne wrote:Sound is excellent. They allow for placement close to the back wall which works well as it eliminates quarter wave rear wall cancellation (which causes nulls in the bass). In fact they sound best to me just straight with no room correction from Audyssey.

Coupled with Benchmark DAC2 L - this is the best sound I have ever heard. It is not hyped at all. It is super well balanced and natural sounding. It definitely sounds like other ATC - so those with SCM20ASL or SCM50ASL and an ATC subwoofer can be assured they are getting close to this sound for far less. The difference is in their effortless clarity & subtlety. Huge speakers that do not sound like huge speakers. To pick an analogy they sound like an elegant ballerina and nothing like a the usual giant audiophile speaker would be expected to sound. The fireworks however are there when the music calls for it and the ballerina that dances on a pin head can instantaneously throw a thunderous punch without missing a single step in her bourree.

I wonder if George Martin's astonishing 1967 mix in "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" has ever sounded so good ! Amazing what extra transparency ATC have wrung out with this new tweeter !
Weiss DAC 502, ATC100SE

Postby emgee » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Best reveal pics ever! (I think I just wet myself a bit! :)
cheers
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures