Richmond Project

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Richmond Project

Postby AlmaataKZ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Wait a minute... Do I see a sub in some of the pics? :o
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby Shadorne » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:56 am

AlmaataKZ wrote:Wait a minute... Do I see a sub in some of the pics? :o

Good catch - eagle eyes - :shock: . There is indeed a C6 sub in matching magnolia burr (also in high gloss).
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby dimis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Stunning speakers Shadorne! Keep the photos coming, please!
MacBook Pro with Dirac Live > Metric Halo Lio-8 > ATC SCM100ASL Pro + twin SVS SB13 ultra

Postby MevDinc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Shadorne,

Is the new C6 also SE or does it just come with the matching finish?

Thanks.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby tw99 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:15 pm

I'd be interested to hear why you chose these over active 150/200/300s or whatever is a similar price in the traditional range ? The EL150s look a lot nicer, for sure !
NACD3.5 | SBT / DSpeaker anti-mode 2.0 / SIA2-150 / SCM40 + C1

Postby Shadorne » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 pm

MevDinc wrote:Shadorne,

Is the new C6 also SE or does it just come with the matching finish?

Thanks.
Mev

Just a standard C6 but made to match - silver plinth and same veneer.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Shadorne » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 pm

tw99 wrote:I'd be interested to hear why you chose these over active 150/200/300s or whatever is a similar price in the traditional range ? The EL150s look a lot nicer, for sure !

Purely a cosmetic choice - they are great eye candy to my eyes therefore they sound better too :lol: :lol:

Postby MevDinc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:20 am

I believe EL 150s look nicer and sound better too.
And great looking P6 also makes quite a difference to the extra sound quality! :)

I can't wait to upgrade my tweeter!
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:16 am

MevDinc wrote:I believe EL 150s look nicer and sound better too.
And great looking P6 also makes quite a difference to the extra sound quality! :)

I can't wait to upgrade my tweeter!

They may indeed be better sounding than standard freestanding 150's because the curved design greatly reduces/eliminates baffle edge diffraction & permits a better placement. However with the same drivers and box volume I believe they are pretty similar to active studio 150's.

The tweeter as I have mentioned is an incremental improvement worth having but this in the context that ATC's are already very good with the old tweeter & a tweeter is not quite as important as the bass and midrange drivers. Still the tweeter will be a very worthwhile upgrade when it becomes readily available & quite possibly a more significant improvement than SL versus standard for the bass drivers. So don't hesitate - go for it!

Postby Dogill » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:40 pm

There is absolutely no question that the new ATC100SEs are better in the bass than my previous ( anniversary amp ) 150s.

I suspect the interior damping is better with the curved shape just as reported for the new 40s.
Weiss DAC 502, ATC100SE

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Dogill wrote:There is absolutely no question that the new ATC100SEs are better in the bass than my previous ( anniversary amp ) 150s.

I suspect the interior damping is better with the curved shape just as reported for the new 40s.

The cabinet could well be improved. Pink Floyd rebuilt the cabinets on some 150's which was mentioned in Tape Op Magazine.

It is also possible the new tweeter affects bass perception - have you considered that? There is a strong relationship with percussion relating to the proper integration of highs and lows. Some call it PRAT. For sure a curved cabinet will be stronger to flexural vibration and sound leakage externally but a curved interior may tend to resonate at specific frequencies too.

The 100's are also tighter in the bass and more like a microscope on the midrange - I find the 150's are slightly warmer or darker due to the extended bass. Could it be the affect of smaller woofer size ?

Anyway, the EL150's are incredibly detailed but somehow remain super smooth sounding compared to my 100's (less harshness as you crank to insane levels). It could be the age difference (new vs 20 year olds that have seen heavy use day in day out). My impression is that the midrange on EL150's is smoother around 2 to 4KHz yet they share the exact same midrange?? Could be incremental design improvements in driver construction, electronics or both. (Could also be simply that my old 100's need a tune up!)

Postby MevDinc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Sorry for repeating it but IMO with EL 150 the sound is a bit more special because the P6 electronics are a bit more special too, and probably delivers cleaner and better defined bass.
I guess in Dogill's case SE version has improvements in other areas as well as the amp pack.

Shadorne, remember you will get a pleasant surprise, especially in the bass, once you've clocked 200+ hours! :)

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Shadorne wrote:
Dogill wrote:The 100's are also tighter in the bass and more like a microscope on the midrange - I find the 150's are slightly warmer or darker due to the extended bass. Could it be the affect of smaller woofer size ?

Anyway, the EL150's are incredibly detailed but somehow remain super smooth sounding compared to my 100's (less harshness as you crank to insane levels). It could be the age difference (new vs 20 year olds that have seen heavy use day in day out). My impression is that the midrange on EL150's is smoother around 2 to 4KHz yet they share the exact same midrange?? Could be incremental design improvements in driver construction, electronics or both. (Could also be simply that my old 100's need a tune up!)

Special editions as I see them:
The Anniversaries have all the advantages of Classics/Towers/Pros with the added advantage of better amps.
The SEs have all the advantages of Anniversaries with the added advantage of rear-curved cabinets (good for damping internal resonances).
The EL150 have all the advantages of SEs with the added advantages of: a curved baffle to minimise edge diffraction; and separated amp unit (less physical vibration if you believe in that sort of thing).

Congratulations Shadorne!

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:54 pm

MevDinc wrote:Sorry for repeating it but IMO with EL 150 the sound is a bit more special because the P6 electronics are a bit more special too, and probably delivers cleaner and better defined bass.
I guess in Dogill's case SE version has improvements in other areas as well as the amp pack.

Shadorne, remember you will get a pleasant surprise, especially in the bass, once you've clocked 200+ hours! :)

I don't have much info on the P6 - can you share what is special/different? The boiler plate specs seem the same as a regular 150ASL amp pack. I am looking forward to a further improvement in 200+ hours but since I enjoy every minute of listening already I am quite happy as it stands!!!

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:00 pm

darrenyeats wrote:
Shadorne wrote:
Dogill wrote:The 100's are also tighter in the bass and more like a microscope on the midrange - I find the 150's are slightly warmer or darker due to the extended bass. Could it be the affect of smaller woofer size ?

Special editions as I see them:
The Anniversaries have all the advantages of Classics/Towers/Pros with the added advantage of better amps.
The SEs have all the advantages of Anniversaries with the added advantage of rear-curved cabinets (good for damping internal resonances).
The EL150 have all the advantages of SEs with the added advantages of: a curved baffle to minimise edge diffraction; and separated amp unit (less physical vibration if you believe in that sort of thing).

Congratulations Shadorne!

I don't believe in vibration as it would make active ATC less performing rather then the obvious (they sound better) . Reduced vibration may help in a longer electronics life span but heat, age of electrolytic caps and on/off cycling are the main issues. What are the various degrees of amp improvement?

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures