ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Sunny weekend

Postby Dogill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Was the mid coating always brown ?
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Re: Sunny weekend

Postby MattSPL » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Not sure on the mid dome colour.

How are you enjoying the new speakers now you've had some time with them?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Dogill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:39 pm

They are absolutely stunning. I have never heard speakers with such immediacy and therefore realism. Not since I first heard ESL63s have I been so impressed by a speaker.
With the new tweeter instrumental timbre is so much better, a very slight " mechanical " quality of previous ATCs has completely disappeared.
Rhythm and timing ( if you believe in it ) are impeccable, the bass quality is outstanding with a complete lack of "ponderous" nature that I occasionally had on my previous 150s.
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby MattSPL » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:18 pm

They sound perfect. The rhythm and timing you describe are the main thing I miss now I don't have ATC's. Certain types of music don't suffer too badly without ATC's, but other types really need that surgical precision in the timing to sound right.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Shadorne » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:06 am

I have seen the midrange done doping look dark black and shiny on 20's. And even greenish with age on 100's. Brown is possible too. I suspect some kind of petroleum doping. The colors can vary depending on the light. I think the damping of the drivers is one of the secrets to the clarity. There is very little in the way of resonances. This is why they sound like quad electrostatics but without the all the other severe limitations of those panel designs.

As for the tweeter - it is for sure a success. It sounds less like a tweeter than the previous excel tweeter. In fact it is strikingly natural sounding - Sheffield labs drum track never sounded so good,
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Return to System setup pictures