Dreams come true...

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Dreams come true...

Postby AlmaataKZ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Hello! My first day on the forum...

I am in the middle of my system upgrade that goes slowly through this year. What I am updating is abt 10 years old so I thought maybe it is time to upgrade. All the technology andvances, the internet - and quite a bit of saving - make a meaningful upgrade possible. As I started to read what is available today in terms of music and gear, I settled on a computer-based setup and active speakers. I was after maximium quality with minimum boxes and good music/AV integration and control.

Computer choices led me to MacMini (a lot of people from several forums helped me, some of them like Craig, Spacey and maybe others are also on this forum) and active speakers led me, unsurprisignly, to ATC (the only 'competition' was Adam and PMC, but Adam is a bit obscure and PMC is not truly active afaik EDIT: PMC can be active but an equivalent setup is more expensive), so ATC it is). I also went through a choice process for DACs and settled on Benchmark HDR.

The evolution up to now is fully described (and illustrated) here: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/392544.aspx

Check it out before reading on - it has reports from active ATC auditions 50/100s and a report from ATC factory visit!.

The continuation is to follow...
Last edited by AlmaataKZ on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Re: Dreams come true...

Postby AlmaataKZ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 pm

So, here goes the arrival of the ATCs...

These are the 50s and the C1C centre channel rolling off...

And these are the 100s...

... so the delivery man places them neatly near the building entrance...

... like that...

... says: please sign here and ... leaves!

At which point I go head scratching about how the hell do I get those into the flat... (I did agree with the dealer that the speakers will be installed but no, that did not happen).

The total weight is about 320 kilos. Well, the C1C is obviously not a problem (although it is much heavier than I expected). The 50s and 100s are also much(!) heavier than I imagined. The 50s are an 'at least a two-man job' and the 100s are ‘definitely a four-man thing’ to carry...

But since when a couple of heavy boxes are an obstacle in the quest for sound? The 50s’ boxes even have handles on them...

I was lucky there were some construction guys working next door so they helped me to get the boxes upstairs (thank you, guys! What an international team that was!). At which point they also leave and I go head sctratching on how to unpack the beasts. Lifting anything apart from the C1C is out of the question...
Last edited by AlmaataKZ on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub

Postby Craig » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:28 pm

:lol: lucky those construction workers were there! nightmare though, there the speakers are but they are too heavy to get out the boxes!! :shock:
source: Macbook Pro > Airplay > ATV3 > Benchmark Dac1 HDR
active speakers: Event Opal
Cheap XLR microphone cables

Postby MattSPL » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Thats some system you have there now :)
How did you eventually manage to get the speakers out the boxes and setup? :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby ben0635 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 pm

AlmaataKZ wrote:Hello! My first day on the forum...

I am in the middle of my system upgrade that goes slowly through this year. What I am updating is abt 10 years old so I thought maybe it is time to upgrade. All the technology andvances, internet and a bit of savings. As I started to read what is available today in terms of music and gear, I settled on a computer-based setup and active speakers. I was after maximium quality with minimum boxes and good music/AV integration and control.

Computer choices led me to MacMini (a lot of people from several forums helped me, some of tehm like Craig, Spacey and maybe others are also on this forum) and active speakers led me, unsurprisignly, to ATC (the only 'competition' was Adam and PMC, but Adam is a bit obscure and PMC is not truly active afaik, so ATC it is). I also went though a choice process for DACs and settled on Benchmark HDR.

The evolution up to now is fully described (and illustrated) here: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/392544.aspx

Check it out before reading on.

The continuation is to follow...

i know spacey loves his Benchmark DAC alot....
Lounge:Pioneer 5090/BDP-51FD/Yamaha Z7/Monitor Audio PL300 Package/Qed Signature cables,Chord cables.
Hifi:ATC SCA2/Bryston BCD1/Chord QBD76,ATC SCM 40/SCM50SL AT/WireWorld Cables,Hifi racks Podium3,Vertex Taga,Silver Plus Jaya,Picos.
am allergic to sex but i get turned on by hifi

Postby AlmaataKZ » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 am

Well, here it is:

The C1C just comes out. Easy.

Note these are black, not rosewood as the main ones (rosewood finish option is more expensive than the C1C speaker itself!)

The 50s and 100s will take a bit longer to get out and install…

The 50s are in the flat, the 100s are just outside. I was alone so getting them out and even moving within the flat was tricky.

To move the boxes around I put either a thick towel or a an upside-down door mat under them. The floor is quite smooth so they slide relatively easily. Tilting the box onto a corner and pivoting is also a feasible way of moving the heavy stuff without lifting.

So, open the box…. Another one inside. These are thick hard carton double-boxes…

Flip the open box upside down and lift it off (easier said than done). The speaker slides resting on the packaging (although it is quite snug so takes some pulling!)

No-frills power cables and spikes are inside the boxes.

OK, 50s done.

Now, the 100s… these are a bit tougher…

Just taking the screws out takes quite a bit of time. These are self-cutters, so they are quite tight.

Pop the box on its side, then open side down (putting some of the packaging on the floor first under the speaker), pull the box up. These ones are tighter fit that the 50s so really take some effort. Now, speaker back to vertical. Pivot on corners onto a door mat. Slide over the door step and into the room. Repeat for the second one.

Take the bags off…

Take a break.

Pssst (sound of StPeter’s Golden Ale bottle opening) ;-)
Last edited by AlmaataKZ on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Fair play for managing those out of the boxes :) and thanks for taking the time for all the pics.
You only get a real idea of just how big the boxes are when you see the scm50 sitting inside. It looked tiny in comparison.
And those scm100's are simply huge! I love it :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby paul_riordan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:35 pm

MattSPL wrote:Fair play for managing those out of the boxes :) and thanks for taking the time for all the pics.
You only get a real idea of just how big the boxes are when you see the scm50 sitting inside. It looked tiny in comparison.
And those scm100's are simply huge! I love it :D

....and once you have unpacked them you have the fun of finding somewhere to store the boxes. The roofspace in my garage is now very full !
Source: Auralic Aries Mini + Mytek DAC 192
Video source: Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A
Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s
Cinema Processor: Anthem D2v
Speakers: ATC SCM50ASL (Front and Centre), ATC C4 (Sub), ATC SCM20A-2 (Rear)
Screen: Pioneer KRP-600A

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Looking at the size of those boxes, id have to dismantle them and get them into my attic :?

Postby AlmaataKZ » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:44 pm

"Huge" is the word in the house since the delivery! But the sound is huge as well! :)

Postby benny39 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:48 pm

You are a very lucky man, thats a lifetime of dreaming :mrgreen: fantastic :D have the time of your life my friend.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Have you had the chance to listen to the 50's and the 100's yet?
And what are your initial thought's?
Cheers
Matt

Postby AlmaataKZ » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Well, listening is what I have been doing for the last 4 days!

My objective is to decide between the following:
- 50s
- 100s
- 50s + sub
- 100s + sub
The sub is an existing Rel q100e but potentially can be replaced with a better one if I found it necessary for the ATCs.

I thought this was a very valid comparison because:
1) the price difference between 50s and 100s is not so big (%-age wise) and if there was a good gain in sound with the 100s then it coudl be fully justified. going for 100s may allow geting rid of any sub completely.
2) from previous reading and demos (see the posts in the link to whf forum above) I had to explore the bass response of ATCs and how a sub would impact it
3) if I found a sub was a must, then again the price difference between 50s and 100s could give me a budget for a sub - and there are quite a few decent subs for that money avaiable
4) I also wanted to be sure the size of the speakers (+sub package) is adequate for the realities of life

So, this is the scene for the trial.

Results to follow.
Last edited by AlmaataKZ on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Beta4Me » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm

I really want to know too. I wonder what the 50 vs 100 vs 150 vs 300 would be like ;)

Postby AlmaataKZ » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Ooooohhhh, I think that kind of trial is something to aspire to in another 10 years! At least! :D
That would be a trial fit for a dealer or an audio show?

Next

Return to System setup pictures