Dreams come true...

ATC & other manufacturers system pictures

Re: Dreams come true...

Postby MattSPL » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

AlmaataKZ wrote:following on earlier posts re bass in the system/room -

yesterday I have adjusted the bass level on the sub another click down and considered a further click or two! that is now more than a third of the total adjustment range between the setting I initially liked and the one I like now...

The process of abandoning boomy bass and starting to get and appreciate the clean one is well under way!

Hi Almaatakz

It does take time to adjust a sub, but when its right, its a great addition.

I've just bought one of these on ebay. Its a Yamaha YDP2006 Parametric equalizer.
Its for the subwoofer i'm going to build.
You could put one of these or similar between your pre and sub, measure your room acoustics with software like REW and boost/cut frequencies where needed.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby AlmaataKZ » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks, Matt. I am considering a bass mgt solution either like in your post or antimode (they have a new model out soon) but I am still not sure if I should do it - I do not like the idea of more boxes and I am unsure of the benefits for sound. Ideally I want to try to play with one thoroughly to fully understand the capabilities and benefits of such kit before I buy anything.

However, I did buy something today which is although very remotely but is kind of part of the system. It is a paniting with a music theme -

It is already in place in the same room as the music system and is supposed to add to the experience (and maybe even dampen some reflections...). It's about 1,5m wide by 1m tall so not small.

WDYT of this kind of system tweaking?
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby BenL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Very nice AlmaataKZ :D

I definitely approve of this kind of tweak (like the poster I got framed in my room) - having a relaxed listening environment definitely helps musical enjoyment :D
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby MattSPL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi Almaatakz

Let me know how you get on with the bass mgt. I think it could help a lot. It might be worth getting a mic and having a go at REW measuring your room to see where/if there is problems in the bass area due to the room.

Mini dsp seems to be getting a lot of good press for a full eq you control via usb on a laptop.
http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/brow ... box?sef=hc

Here's a serious plate amp(i remember you asked me about them before). It has built in mini dsp. I intend to incorporate this amp into a diy sub eventually http://www.funkaudio.ca/Amplifiers.html

The painting is very nice. We actually have a similar painting on canvas we bought a year or 2 ago. Its still rolled up waiting to be framed :roll:

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby AlmaataKZ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/benchmark/ ... .htm#intro

this is a reveiw of Benchmark DAC1 HDR which I find written in a very relevant, informative, practical and competent way. There are some other similar reviews on the site.
If only magazines did such useful reviews...
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub

Postby MattSPL » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 am

AlmaataKZ wrote:http://kenrockwell.com/audio/benchmark/dac1-hdr.htm#intro

this is a reveiw of Benchmark DAC1 HDR which I find written in a very relevant, informative, practical and competent way. There are some other similar reviews on the site.
If only magazines did such useful reviews...

Nice thorough review :)

Postby AlmaataKZ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Finally got to reducing the output level on the Benchmark.

The factory setting on the xlr outs is -20dB which with ATC SCM 50s results in vol setting of abt 8.30 o'clockfor normal listening:

IMAGE_2AE4607D-A920-4F81-8555-3F2FF74D5B50.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

A bit too low.

According to the Benchmark's manual and Ken Rockwell's measurements the volume pot has better channel matching at higher levels. Benchmark recommend around 11 o'clock position so I need to get the dac out and change the output jumpers.

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/benchmark/ ... r.htm#meas

So, DAC out

IMAGE_7FE7CA9E-B409-43A4-934E-0FB2276114F2.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

IMAGE_67E4D757-05EC-4FFA-A807-507691D2E484.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

8 screws out, case off

IMAGE_789C3BDA-8620-469F-B9A7-E161DA6A79BE.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

Default setting of the 4 jumpers

IMAGE_B291BAD3-BE63-48D1-BF21-54E81BBC7153.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

The only lower setting is -30dB which should be enough to get into the right range

IMAGE_B1DAB993-C936-4736-B425-6AEFB96DD5A8.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

Screws in

IMAGE_3792AB3A-B6BF-481C-8502-0777D644E5E8.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

Back on the rack. This results in normal levels at vol setting of abt 11 o'clock. Perfect.

IMAGE_8396000C-D787-45DE-8CFE-92F9A37683E5.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

Recalibrate the HT bypass

IMAGE_6C58C681-9144-4AC5-BBF8-E3C3F46B6355.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

IMAGE_DE1B8F63-582A-4826-9641-C49FED73778B.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

IMAGE_E0030D62-B317-4237-8B96-44E624579E0A.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

IMAGE_D7237037-0AF9-46F2-BCE7-4E970DC65D16.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr

The auto set up is quite accurate.

Put some music on! :D

IMAGE_778DBBDC-4E43-486E-8F4B-FE4F68CAA854.JPG by AlmaAtaKZ, on Flickr
Last edited by AlmaataKZ on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Almaatakz

Have you noticed any difference in sound after adjusting the jumpers?
I did some adjustments with the jumpers in my Dac when i got it, and also tried again a couple of weeks ago. I prefer the Dac running at 0db, and the ATC's input sensitivity at minimum. I felt the sound lacked bass power with the jumpers set at the lower settings.

Cheers
Matt

Postby AlmaataKZ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:23 pm

No, did not notice any difference.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Ok, sounds about right. The difference i noticed was small, and could have been placebo, but it felt a bit dynamically restrained on the lower jumper settings.

Maybe the ALPS volume pots are different than those on other pre amps for example, otherwise Benchmarks suggestion of the pot sounding best at 11 o'clock would mean that no pre amp will sound its best unless you have it cranked up.

I'd be interested to hear if you experiment with the input gain on your ATC's.

Cheers
Matt

Postby AlmaataKZ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:48 pm

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/sites/default/files/documents/DAC1%20HDR%20Manual%20RevI.pdf

On page 18 of the manual Benchmark say full dynamic range is preserved. The only thing affected they mention is output impedance - which affects max length of cables that can be driven. I am well within the limits (max is 949ft for -30dB trim setting and my cables are abt 10ft).

I do not know if output impedance affects anything else.

Do not want to tinker with sensitivity adjustment on the ATCs as they are not graduated and so there is no way to set them exactly matched within the pair or even return back to factory setting. I do not have any good SPL meausring equipment.

Postby MevDinc » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:49 pm

MattSPL wrote:Hi Almaatakz

Have you noticed any difference in sound after adjusting the jumpers?
I did some adjustments with the jumpers in my Dac when i got it, and also tried again a couple of weeks ago. I prefer the Dac running at 0db, and the ATC's input sensitivity at minimum. I felt the sound lacked bass power with the jumpers set at the lower settings.

Cheers
Matt

Hi,

I have also used the Benchmark DAC for sometime in my system, my findings were very similar to yours Matt.
In the end I settled with the 0db setting, which gave me more dynamic sound and bass slam.

Cheers.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Mev

Yes, you pointed me in the right direction when i got my Dac ;)
Definitely worth a bit of experimenting with the jumpers and amp input sensitivity, even for peace of mind :)

Cheers
Matt

Postby MattSPL » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:20 pm

AlmaataKZ wrote:http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/sites/default/files/documents/DAC1%20HDR%20Manual%20RevI.pdf

On page 18 of the manual Benchmark say full dynamic range is preserved. The only thing affected they mention is output impedance - which affects max length of cables that can be driven. I am well within the limits (max is 949ft for -30dB trim setting and my cables are abt 10ft).

I do not know if output impedance affects anything else.

Do not want to tinker with sensitivity adjustment on the ATCs as they are not graduated and so there is no way to set them exactly matched within the pair or even return back to factory setting. I do not have any good SPL meausring equipment.

I know what you mean about tinkering with the input sensitivity, i only dared adjust mine as they aren't new speakers and i'd had them apart anyway. The sensitivity pots are probably at maximum, which you will be able to see through the hole in the amp plate. I checked this, then just turned them both to minimum, so channel matching wasn't a problem.

Cheers
Matt

Postby Shadorne » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 am

AlmaataKZ wrote:
BenL wrote:
:lol: Was it perhaps also after a bottle of St Peter's ale? ;) Best time to get good stuff on ebay ;)

No alcohol involved on this occcasion but yes, a bit of an impusle buy... :)

BenL wrote:
Any particular reason why you've decided in-ear rather than closed back? Do you have a budget / shortlist? I have found even relatively cheap Sennheiser headphones with compressed music can sound fantastic through an iPhone, so your lossless files should sound great. Although I imagine even with 128Gb you'll have to be fairly selective with what you can put on - I have only maybe 25% of my music on 32Gb iPhone in compressed format :(

Several years ago I was using normal earbuds and thought I would not like in-ear ones. But then I bought the apple in-ear ones (the ones with dual drivers and control buttons) and when I started to use them I was pleasantly surprised by the sound, the fit was more comfortable than I expected and the contorls were really handy. This is when I started to use lossless on the ipod. I also realsied that the in-ears have the added bonus of sound isolation wich is very good on airplanes. I also noticed that with in-ears I use lower volume setting.

So what I am looking for now is:
- an excellent sounding earphone (dual or triple driver)
- in-ear (for soudn isolation. most in-ear phones also have an option of ordering a custom fit sleeve, which I may try. I hear these are really comfortable and provide extra noise isolation)
- with detachable cord (as thsi is the first thing that fails and needs to be replaceable)
- with full ipod control
- budget 100-400

the problem is is that there is only one or two models that fit the bill at the moment but the guys at hifiheadphones near Brighton tell me that they expect several top models from leading brands to get updates end this / early next year with ipod controls.

Some current models that fit the bill are these ones:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shure-se535-inear-sound-isolating-earphones-in-clear-se-535-prodid-2237.html

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shure-se425-inear-sound-isolating-headphones-in-clear-se-425-prodid-2379.html

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shure-se315-inear-sound-isolating-headphones-in-clear-se-315-prodid-2378.html

Shure has recently released a cable add-on with ipod controls for the above models.

http://www.shure.co.uk/products/accessories/cbl-mp-k

So this is one option, but I want to look at more options.

There is also a problem which I do not know how to resolve - it is difficult if not impossible to audition in-ear phones. that is a difficult one. How one is supposed to choose a 400-quid piece of audio eqt without listening to it?

I have Shure SE425 for drumming. I like them. I have heard the SE535 are way too bass heavy. Sometimes less is more and I think in this case the SE425 is the better in-ear (for my tastes at least - obviously bassheads will prefer the 535).
Last edited by Shadorne on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

PreviousNext

Return to System setup pictures