Login redirection error

Comments & Suggestions about ATC Forums

Login redirection error

Postby John Leddy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:42 pm

After login the user is redirected to the forum's index page rather than returning to the page the user was originally viewing.

While I wouldn't bet my life on it, I seem to remember this being a BB setup choice?

Thanks,

John.

Re: Login redirection error

Postby MattSPL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm not sure John, I usually log in and stay logged in, so don't really notice.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby John Leddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 am

MattSPL wrote:I usually log in and stay logged in, so don't really notice.

Yes Matt, but you're keeping this forum alive. If you take a step back from what you do, and think of it as a setup error, you'll probably get where I'm coming from.

A visitor is viewing a page but, for whatever reason, is not logged-in. He decides to login and post a reply. He looks at the top right-hand corner of his screen and thinks hunky-dory, and logs in. Under no circumstances should he be directed away from the thread which encouraged his login in the first place. That just doesn't make sense. Imagine if something similar happened everytime you created a post, you'd go nuts; and yes, it is the same thing.

You would've thought there'd be a BB setup page offering choices similar to: (i) Return to original page, (ii) Go to homepage, or (iii) Go to custom page; that sort of thing. It's been a while since I've suffered at the hands of a php web application, but it would be a pretty poor application which didn't offer such simple customisation.

All the best,

John.

Postby MattSPL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:44 am

I know what you mean John, the exact thing happens to me on forums all the time and I get redirected and have trouble finding the thread I was in.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby John Leddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi Matt,

I've started copying the webpage address to my clipboard before logging-in. How clunky is that?

Anyway, enough moaning for today. Must go back to the Systems thread. I like to get ideas from other people's system photos and setups.

All the best,

John.

Postby MattSPL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi John

That's one way around around it :)

Cheers
Matt

Return to Comments & Suggestions