FS: Active 20-2s

Hi-Fi & AV related products only

FS: Active 20-2s

Postby dunkyboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:23 pm

These are ATC's now-discontinued domestic 2nd-generation Active 20 standmounts, the SCM-20A-2. They were by far the best-value high-end domestic active ATC model at around £3300 new, with the 6.5" mid-woofer (with full-size 3" mid-dome) and the same SEAS tweeter in the high-end 3-way models - there's no longer an equivalent model. These days the cheapest active ATC equivalent is the SCM20AT tower, at well above £5k.

I've owned this pair from new for just over 10 years, bought from Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh. They're in near-immaculate condition, with one visible blemish on the side of one of them (pictures below), and the usual wear and tear on the undersides. Perfect working order (not surprising, given ATC's build quality).

They suit small to mid-size rooms (I think they'd get a bit lost in a large room) and near- to mid-field monitoring. They're wonderful if you have problems with bass modes, as the sealed-box design tails the bass off very smoothly (going very deep with a bit of room gain). Perfect for British living rooms.

In sound, these are essentially identical to the bigger 3-ways, minus some of the scale and perhaps a smidge of detail in the mids (the benefits of an entirely separate mid-dome driver in the bigger brothers). They're immensely dynamic, extremely low-distortion at all frequencies, with gorgeous sweet, soaring highs (the SEAS tweeter is really wonderful), and of course the magical midrange presence and detail ATC is renowned for. When I bought them, upgrading from the Active 10-2s, the improvement that stood out the most was in fact the treble, being noticeably sweeter, more refined, more extended, and more detailed. It's head and shoulders above the tweeter in the domestic passives (although I haven't heard the ATC tweeter in the new line).

One word of warning: they're very sensitive to upstream electronics, especially the preamp. They've a very low input impedance, so crave a low-output impedance pre. I highly recommend using either one of the excellent ATC models, or for a bit more colour and "magic", a high-quality valve pre. ATCs luuuurve valves (and vinyl, for that matter). I settled on an Audio Note M2.

I have the original boxes - giant, industrial-strength cardboard things, with extremely good foam padding and sturdy handles, and the original felt protective bags. Manuals as well.

£1700 + p&p or collect from southeast London. Cash, bank transfer, or PayPal preferred.

I also have a pair of heavy-duty resin-filled Target R4 (I believe? one of the R line...) stands that work brilliantly with the ATCs. I'll throw them in for another £100, or sell independently for £200.

And I have a selection of XLR-to-RCA interconnects that I no longer need (indispensable unless you have balanced pre-outs), as well as some XLR-to-RCA adapters. I'll throw in some high-quality studio-grade leads, and would happily do some sort of deal on the others if interested (can't remember what all I've got just now!)

PM me if interested. I'd be happy to demo them.

Cheers,
Dunc

Re: FS: Active 20-2s

Postby dunkyboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Pics:

(Note: only noticed after the fact that my phone camera has three blemishes on the lens, which show up in these pics - sorry!)

Postby Zulef » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:56 am

Hi,

I currently own an active pair of 10s and would be interested in an upgrade. I had quite some problems with the used pair of 10s I bought, had to send them back to Atc... so I need to ask a few questions. Would you reccommend sending these speakers for a fine tune to the factory? How frequently did you use them? I guess they weren't turned on all the time? Is the price a bit flexible or not?

Thanks

Postby dunkyboy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 am

Hi, I've used them a few times a week most weeks. They draw 50 watts apiece when idling so no, I didn't keep them on all the time. ;) I've never had the slightest trouble with them. They've always worked perfectly, and the sound hasn't changed at all since I got them so I doubt they're in any need of a tune-up. They are about 10 years old now, so it might be prudent to send them to ATC for a once-over, but I've never felt a great need.

Price is firm for now.

Cheers,
Dunc

Postby kurt77 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:12 pm

PM sent ;)
Mytek 192DSD>ATC SCA2>ATC SPA2-150>ATC SCM40

Return to Private Classifieds