For sale SCM100 SE

Hi-Fi & AV related products only

For sale SCM100 SE

Postby Dogill » Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 pm

For sale is my pair of active SCM100 SE, current retail £ 31,250 with the black plinth ( normally only seen in Hong Kong ) which was £ 3,000.
Oak veneer, black/red brow, black baffle, brown grille cloth . Built in October 2014, they are in immaculate condition and I'm asking £ 16,000.
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Re: For sale SCM100 SE

Postby MevDinc » Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 am

Good luck with the sale Dogill!

I'm intrigued to know what you maybe replacing your wonderful ATCs with?

Good luck again.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Dogill » Sat May 27, 2017 9:53 am

Hi MevDinc, thank you !

I haven't decided yet but want to first try out the amazing Kii Three speakers which I heard in Munich and have received very good reviews in professional circles.

Postby Fredlocks » Sat May 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Why are you getting rid of the ATCs?

What don't you like abut them exactly?

What are their flaws in your opinion?

Postby Fredlocks » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am

Hello Dogill,

I just looked at my last message and I come across a bit abrupt. This was not intended.

I was merely keen to know why you would sell these speakers as I want a complete picture of their failings before I make a purchase.

Best regards

Fred

Postby Dogill » Wed May 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello Fred,
Sorry about the delay, don't worry.
They don't have any failings , in fact they are the only speakers I've had that I've been perfectly happy with ( and I've had ATC 150 anniversaries before albeit with the old tweeter )
I just feel I want to try the Kiis. If the Kiis turn out to be no good I might move back to ATCs ( perhaps with a piano black finish instead )

Hans

Postby MevDinc » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Hans,

Sent you a PM last week and just checking if you received it OK :)

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Dogill » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:42 am

Hi Mev,

I did send a reply but it doesn't seem to show up - I'll check later !

Hans

Postby MevDinc » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi Hans,

I managed to listen to the Kii's yesterday, not sure if the setup was in the best possible config but they are definitely super monitors, quite remarkable for their size! :)

Cheers.
Mev

Postby AndyU » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 am

I heard the Kii Threes a while ago. I thought they were pretty terrible, atrocious midrange, ghastly treble and weird bass. Really disappointing. Not a patch on the SCM25As I had at the time, and not remotely anywhere near the 100ASLTs I now have. Maybe if you like thump thump tish electronica they make a noise, but for music .. oh dear. So, be careful not to get sucked in by the hype .. it would be so nice if they worked, but the ones I heard definitely didn't.

Postby MevDinc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing your findings but must say I'm really surprised by your complete dismissal of them.

As I said in my comment, I wasn't sure if the setup was optimal as I asked for freestanding setting for bass and the sound changed completely for better and bigger bass. It also has low and high latency settings, the latter sounding so much better apparently.

I have to agree with you that they certainly were no match with my EL150s. I thought the midrange was a little on the thin side. I found the bass to be quite good but again the sound stage is not as big or wide as my ATCs.

Interesting thing is that over at Gearslutz a lot of mixing and mastering engineers are going mad over these speakers, and quite a few actually bought them. Some of them are long time and happy ATC users!

So, not sure if it's all hype, they are very different speakers so it may take a little bit of time to get used to their sound. A lot of people find the ATC sound unimpressive, fatiguing and bass shy when they first hear them. But spending some quality time with the ATCs most people discover the wonderful midrange and accurate and controlled bass!

Best.
Mev

Postby Dogill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:42 am

I heard the Kii Three in a room at the HiFi Deluxe, a small show run in parallel with the main Munich event.
At first they played a lot of rubbish but the classical piece I heard was good and a track of pure drums had a very realistic sound of snaredrums.

I think the reason they are liked by professionals is their portrayal of every recording detail - they don't care as much for accurate timbre in the mid and treble.

For me the jury is out until I've heard them under better conditions.

Postby linger63 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:44 am

MevDinc wrote:Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing your findings but must say I'm really surprised by your complete dismissal of them.

As I said in my comment, I wasn't sure if the setup was optimal as I asked for freestanding setting for bass and the sound changed completely for better and bigger bass. It also has low and high latency settings, the latter sounding so much better apparently.

I have to agree with you that they certainly were no match with my EL150s. I thought the midrange was a little on the thin side. I found the bass to be quite good but again the sound stage is not as big or wide as my ATCs.

Interesting thing is that over at Gearslutz a lot of mixing and mastering engineers are going mad over these speakers, and quite a few actually bought them. Some of them are long time and happy ATC users!

So, not sure if it's all hype, they are very different speakers so it may take a little bit of time to get used to their sound. A lot of people find the ATC sound unimpressive, fatiguing and bass shy when they first hear them. But spending some quality time with the ATCs most people discover the wonderful midrange and accurate and controlled bass!

Best.
Mev

MevDinc,

Not having a go at you at all........just wanted to comment about those "other people".......LOL.......

I guess a lot of them must need to have their ears checked!!!!!

Fatiguing...........LOL........only when the recording is.
Bass shy............LOL.......only to listeners used to their bass being boosted, unnatural and woolly.

ATC "sound"......LOL........they don't have a "sound"............THAT's their magic appeal.......NO coloration.

I will die with mine.............it's just a question of which model I manage to reach higher up the ATC chain before then.

A true "endgame" speaker.........

Postby MevDinc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am

linger63 wrote:
MevDinc,

Not having a go at you at all........just wanted to comment about those "other people".......LOL.......

I guess a lot of them must need to have their ears checked!!!!!

Fatiguing...........LOL........only when the recording is.
Bass shy............LOL.......only to listeners used to their bass being boosted, unnatural and woolly.

ATC "sound"......LOL........they don't have a "sound"............THAT's their magic appeal.......NO coloration.

I will die with mine.............it's just a question of which model I manage to reach higher up the ATC chain before then.

A true "endgame" speaker.........

You're not having a go at me at all, just confirming what I said in effect! :)
I should know as I'm one of the very few lucky EL150A owners!

I think the professionals like them mainly because of Kii's have excellent timing which make their sound very detailed and accurate. A lot professionals use ATC because of their accuracy, quite a few ATC professionals also seem to like the Kii's so one could assume that they have good ears and taste. :)

Like Dogil said I will listen to them again in more controlled environment. Well done to the designers for trying something new and quite clever. And they are active design too, which is what Bill Woodman and his team have been successfully doing for the professional studios for years. I don't think I will ever use passive speakers.

Best.
Mev

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 pm

MevDinc wrote:<SNIP>

<SNIP>
Best.
Mev

I don't think that is true. I have yet to see a pair in any studio I or my field guys visit (not to say we visit them all but we do see the ATC rooms frequently). They now have a US dealer, Vintage King, so I think their effort is just beginning here. Its my perception they have had more success in Europe.

I think they are very interesting and a cool design. I think their target is more Barefoot than ATC. DSP based loudspeakers will indeed offer some advantages over analog, but I know how challenging it is to get these US mix and mastering guys to agree on a converter. I am not sure how you'll get them to agree on one converter in their speaker 100% of the time.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Return to Private Classifieds