WTB: ATC active centre C3 or C4 (will consider passive)

Hi-Fi & AV related products only

WTB: ATC active centre C3 or C4 (will consider passive)

Postby Alastair » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi all

It’s a long shot but I’d like to get hold of an active centre like the C3 or C4 in black.

I’ve got a passive C1, so have suitable amplification but active would be preference. Will still consider passive.

An alternative (I guess) would be a single pro SCM 25A but I guess that will be even more rare than the above! Plus I’d need a grill of sorts to avoid my daughter playing with the domes!

Willing to travel or come to some sort of agreement about logistics. I’d ideally like to hear the speaker pre purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Alastair
Sys 1: ATC Classic SCM100ASL, C1C, SCM11, C6, CDA2 MK2 / Krell Showcase 5 / Oppo 203 / Emotiva XMC-1
Sys 2: Quad Pro-63, Elite QSP, Pre & CDX
Gym: Meridian DSP5000 96/24, DSP5000C 96/24, D6000, 568.2MM, 518
Roon, Tidal, Dirac

Re: WTB: ATC active centre C3 or C4 (will consider passive)

Postby Alastair » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:45 am

Hi Mev!

I can’t seem to respond to your message- in short I am having a think. Could you let me know colour and what you have in mind value wise? Logistically I don’t see any blockers there. If you can pm me again with your email address we could try that way, if you would like.

Thanks
Alastair
Sys 1: ATC Classic SCM100ASL, C1C, SCM11, C6, CDA2 MK2 / Krell Showcase 5 / Oppo 203 / Emotiva XMC-1
Roon, Tidal, Dirac

Postby linger63 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Alastair wrote:Hi all

It’s a long shot but I’d like to get hold of an active centre like the C3 or C4 in black.

I’ve got a passive C1, so have suitable amplification but active would be preference. Will still consider passive.

An alternative (I guess) would be a single pro SCM 25A but I guess that will be even more rare than the above! Plus I’d need a grill of sorts to avoid my daughter playing with the domes!

Willing to travel or come to some sort of agreement about logistics. I’d ideally like to hear the speaker pre purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Alastair

Considering the rest of your system, and assuming your SCM100 ASL's have the SEAS tweeters, I would be looking at a C3CA as an absolute minimum.

The C4CA is too small for SCM100's IMHO and IME .............plus the VIFA tweeter won't match.

A used C5A would do the job nicely too as it uses the identical drivers and amps as the newer C3CA............... differing only in cabinet design.

I currently use one to partner my Anniversary SCM70 ASL's with great results.

I don't think a SCM25A PRO would be practical due to size/shape and, once again, no tweeter match!!!

I suppose you could kiss the SCM 11's and Krell Showcase 5 goodbye though and go with 3 SCM 25A's!!!!.......LOL

Obviously the C6A is the best centre speaker match for BOTH of us.......... but you need major $$$$ ( and space ) for one of those!!!!

Anyway, no matter what.......... I would stick with active regardless..........they're just BETTER.

If/when you get the right centre in your top notch system I can guarantee it will make a HUGE difference!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

Postby Alastair » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi there

Thank you for all the information; I am bit sketchy on what is out there to be fair. I think based on a price list from 2018 only the c3 and C6 active are available if buying new.

I’ve had a C4 centre before (circustmances forced a sale) and I think I have to agree it was perhaps not ideal. Actually in fairness I think it needed some tlc, I bought it used. Given centres are rare I think however I need to consider several options within reason. And older tired centres can likely be brought back to life care of a service.

Is the C5 like the C4 in design ie industrial with the fixed mesh grill?

I am running new ATC tweeters (100 speakers were overhauled last September) so understand the mismatch from a tweeter perspective alone.

Yes and agree that active is the way! But 3x SCM25A is not going to happen!

Thanks
Alastair
Roon, Tidal, Dirac

Postby linger63 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:03 am

Alastair wrote:Hi there

Thank you for all the information; I am bit sketchy on what is out there to be fair. I think based on a price list from 2018 only the c3 and C6 active are available if buying new.

CORRECT

And older tired centres can likely be brought back to life care of a service.

EXACTLY WHAT ATC DID FOR MY C5CA

Is the C5 like the C4 in design ie industrial with the fixed mesh grill?

YES BUT GRILLE IS REMOVABLE.
MY C5CA ACTUALLY HAS A BLACK CABINET.

I am running new ATC tweeters (100 speakers were overhauled last September) so understand the mismatch from a tweeter perspective alone.

YOU ARE VERY LUCKY.
UNFORTUNATELY NO PROPERLY MATCHING CENTRE WITH THE NEW ATC TWEETER YET.

Yes and agree that active is the way! But 3x SCM25A is not going to happen!

LOL......WAS ONLY (HALF) JOKING ANYWAY!!!

Thanks
Alastair

MY PLEASURE
JOHN

Postby MevDinc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Alastair wrote:Hi Mev!

I can’t seem to respond to your message- in short I am having a think. Could you let me know colour and what you have in mind value wise? Logistically I don’t see any blockers there. If you can pm me again with your email address we could try that way, if you would like.

Thanks
Alastair

Hi Alastair,

I see no problems sharing my email here. :)
mevlutdinc@gmail.com

Flickr messed up all my previous photos! Here's a few pics on this page of my system topic.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1736&p=43105#p43105

There are a couple of pics of my C6CA too.

Thanks.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Return to Private Classifieds