Been looking to purchase atc 40's passive

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Been looking to purchase atc 40's passive

Postby biscorbit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 am

Hello,

My dilemma is what amp should I go with? I won't be able to audition everything at home with multiple amps. So I'm trying to narrow it down a little. I've been several amps an don't know what to go with. My preamp for now will be my b & K ref 30. Sorry if my list is long, but I figured someone has heard some of these combinations. The one dealer was telling me a tube amp isn't great with the atc's 40. He was steering me towards a solid state amp and eventually a tube preamp. He also said the mcintosh sound is too mushy for the atc's. Is class d ncore good with these speakers? Theses products I listed I can purchase locally.

P2 atc probably uses this amp to test their speakers plus the atc pre ca2 is great from what I read
p2 pro what's the difference? The pro weighs a lot less even with handles. You would think it's the other way around
mc275 or any other tube amp.
mc302 might be out of my range
mc152
nad m22
psaudio m700 monoblocks
nord one Nc500 definitely affordable I'm not 100% sure about class d though
primare a32 or a60 then I could do their preamp too.
audiolab 8300
music fidelity 500s
bat vk-55se
mytek Brooklyn amp

Any other brands that I should look into?

Thanks again,

Nic

Re: Been looking to purchase atc 40's passive

Postby GAT474 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 am

I have an easy answer for you. If you can afford to go the ATC SCM40 actives go with them and you won't have to worry about an amp. I have both the passives and the actives. The passives have been run with a Priamre A32 and a series of Australian built ME amps all the way up to a 54 kg 200 wpc monster. The passives were great and responded well to increases in amp quality but now that I have the 40 actives I can highly recommend them over passives with any amp.

The only cavaet is that the actives are a little more truthful than the passives. The shop I bought my actives from has the on front spikes only and the rear of the speaker sits on the floor giving a lean rearwards. This was the set up they used when Billy Woodman did a presentation on both the passive and active 40's so he obviously didn't mind. The passives were spiked on all four corners. The leaning back orientation seems to ease back on the directness of the actives and fattens the bass up just a little. On this particular night the pre was a bit dollar Mc Intosh and the amps for the passives was the TOTL Mac valve amp. To be honest I didn't rate the Mac valve amp at all with the passives, my Primare A32 did a much better job.
Last edited by GAT474 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby biscorbit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I don't believe I can afford the actives. I do have an amp which can get me started for now. My amp is b & K 7250 200watts per channel.

Thanks again!

Postby Brad Lunde » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:42 pm

biscorbit wrote:Hello,

My dilemma is what amp should I go with? I won't be able to audition everything at home with multiple amps. So I'm trying to narrow it down a little. I've been several amps an don't know what to go with. My preamp for now will be my b & K ref 30. Sorry if my list is long, but I figured someone has heard some of these combinations. The one dealer was telling me a tube amp isn't great with the atc's 40. He was steering me towards a solid state amp and eventually a tube preamp. He also said the mcintosh sound is too mushy for the atc's. Is class d ncore good with these speakers? Theses products I listed I can purchase locally.

P2 atc probably uses this amp to test their speakers plus the atc pre ca2 is great from what I read
p2 pro what's the difference? The pro weighs a lot less even with handles. You would think it's the other way around
mc275 or any other tube amp.
mc302 might be out of my range
mc152
nad m22
psaudio m700 monoblocks
nord one Nc500 definitely affordable I'm not 100% sure about class d though
primare a32 or a60 then I could do their preamp too.
audiolab 8300
music fidelity 500s
bat vk-55se
mytek Brooklyn amp

Any other brands that I should look into?

Thanks again,

Nic

I don't think there is any reason for the weight difference other than a error on the website? There was an upgrade to the power transformer between prototype and final production P2, hi fi and pro. The units are the same except for features and cosmetics.

I know the P and P2 both work on 40s, and the BAT works well, my dealer in CHicago tells me so.

I wouldn't say ATC's are particularly fussy, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Buy the best sounding amp you can get with at least 150W/ch and you'll be fine. Low power amps (generally tube amps) don't do as well on ATC more for dynamic limitations than sonics (although there a whole technical conversation about load vs amp).

ATCs are a mid efficient speaker (85- 86dB 1 w/1m) because the LF driver is optimized for wider response (more low end) rather than higher efficiency and less low end. That being said, they are low distortion and wide dynamics (can handle lots of input power) so a bigger better amp reveals itself as bigger and better. So some people might say this is a great feature of ATC. It could be described as a weakness if you spin the conversation.

Here are the facts: 1) you can hear any upgrade to the chain immediately with ATC's, 2) the speaker does sound better with a better power amp 3) an ATC with a cheap power amp may still be better than a high end amp on a lower end speaker, 4) It is technically true that for users who have a chance to experience ATC passives on a spectacular amp could say that the speaker "sounds its best" only on a spectacular amp. But that does not mean unless you have a spectacular amp the speaker does not perform well. It means that there are scales of performance combinations. I would say that one must be careful to compare two speakers on the same amp to focus on just speaker differences. An ATC sounds better than most on any amp you give it unless its a very low power one (that would be inappropriate for any mid efficiency speaker).

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Nopiano » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 am

biscorbit wrote:Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I don't believe I can afford the actives. I do have an amp which can get me started for now. My amp is b & K 7250 200watts per channel.

Thanks again!

What does the B&K lack to your ears?

My 40s are working well on my Primare I32, but had I the funds I would have chosen ATCs integrated amp - as I listened to it when at the shop demo. In the UK, the price was about double, so it depends on your local market too.

Postby biscorbit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:17 pm

I find the sound to be very bright even bordering harshness with the highs. My system now is Boston Acoustics vr975 > b&k 7250 > b&k ref 30. Plus I've had this system so long that it's time for an upgrade. I still haven't purchased anything yet. I've also been looking at 19s now. Gonna go the store next week an do a comparison. Plus I wanna play the music I listen too for a better feel. Nothing worse when a store doesn't have it set up for you to play your music.

Postby Nopiano » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm

biscorbit wrote:I find the sound to be very bright even bordering harshness with the highs. My system now is Boston Acoustics vr975 > b&k 7250 > b&k ref 30. Plus I've had this system so long that it's time for an upgrade. I still haven't purchased anything yet. I've also been looking at 19s now. Gonna go the store next week an do a comparison. Plus I wanna play the music I listen too for a better feel. Nothing worse when a store doesn't have it set up for you to play your music.

Hope you get the demo you deserve! I was pleased to get a home loan before deciding on my 40s.

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 am

biscorbit wrote:I find the sound to be very bright even bordering harshness with the highs. My system now is Boston Acoustics vr975 > b&k 7250 > b&k ref 30. Plus I've had this system so long that it's time for an upgrade. I still haven't purchased anything yet. I've also been looking at 19s now. Gonna go the store next week an do a comparison. Plus I wanna play the music I listen too for a better feel. Nothing worse when a store doesn't have it set up for you to play your music.

SO you know, the tweeter in the 19 and the 40 are the same device, the difference is the crossover point which is higher on the 40 (3800Hz vs 2500Hz on the 19). That would not alone lead to one being "brighter", but the slopes and the way the crossover is handled would yield a difference in the midrange.
Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby biscorbit » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Got it thanks!

Return to Hi-Fi