DAC upgrade for CDA2

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Re: DAC upgrade for CDA2

Postby saureign » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:44 pm

bad post
ATC CDA2 mk2 / Van den Hul [The Dwarf, Mainsstream, Mainsserver & The Mountain] / ATC SCM40A
past: CA2 mk2 / CDA2 / P1 / P2 / scm11 / scm19 / scm20 / scm10se

Postby Lemen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:26 pm

saureign wrote:CDA2 MKII

May I ask, from where you have obtained this information about a CDA2 MKII please?
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby MattSPL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Allan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 pm

If this had an inbuilt streamer rather than a CD drive, for me it would be a much more interesting product, although I guess it would no longer be called a CDA2.

I can appreciate though that building a product for streaming locally stored music and from on-line music services is quite a step change in necessary skills, knowledge, certifications, 3rd party agreements, licence agreements, etc. and as ATC's primary focus is loudspeakers and amplification, a new product development along such lines might be straying a bit too far outside the core business.

Postby saureign » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 am

ATC CDA2 mk2 / Van den Hul [The Dwarf, Mainsstream, Mainsserver & The Mountain] / ATC SCM40A

Postby Lemen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

saureign wrote:http://k2audio.pl/atc-cda2-mk2-p-298.html

Thanks saureign and MattSPL for the links.
I think I will be considering a purchase.

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 pm

It looks promising anyway :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Lemen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:57 am

I translated the K2audio preview of the CDA2 Mk2 for myself, so I thought I would post it here:

ATC CDA2 Mk2
CD player, preamplifier and DAC converter with DSD support

CDA2 Mk2 is an improved version of the predecessor Mk1, which, despite the same housing, has undergone
a major modification. In principle, every area of this device has been redesigned and improved in
terms of sound precision. The CDA2 Mk2 CD player has been modified with a completely new TEAC
transport, which resulted in faster response and search times as well as significantly lower mechanical
noise during operation. The new transport is also less susceptible to damaged CDs and has better
correction of read errors.

The CDA2 Mk2 also uses a new AKM driver and chipset that reduces distortion and has been optimized for
performance with a printed motherboard.

On the back of the device as part of the DAC access, a new high-resolution USB input was inserted,
supporting dense PCM formats up to 384 kHz, as well as DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 (2.8MHz, 5.6MHz "dual"
and 11.2MHz "quad ").

The power section has also been modified. A new power supply was used, additional high-performance
high voltage regulators - a total of 9 - were added and their distribution was optimized on the
circuit board. The local disconnection of the mains supply has been further optimized in relation to
the Mk1 model, thanks to which additional efficiency improvement was achieved, especially in relation
to the new chipset, digital-to-analog converter.

We also have a new additional analog input via a 3.5mm mini jack with high input sensitivity for better
compatibility with low-performance mobile devices such as telephones and tablets.

All input and output gain levels are discreet. There are 6 common gain blocks, two for the left and
right input channels and four for the "true" balanced output for the left and right channel.

There are many aspects in favor of CDA2 Mk2 quality and their multitude makes the CDA2 Mk2 an unrivaled
device of its type on the market, which includes both a preamplifier, a CD player and a high-quality
digital-to-analogue converter in a single device.

Thanks to the ATC philosophy of signal purity and the quality of the message, the details of the
piano's resonance and vocals deserve a lot of recognition here. Headphone users are also not missed.
The rear panel has a 6.3mm jack output and the whole is the perfect connection in the system with the
P1 and P2 power amplifier.

CDA2 Mk2 specification:

CD PLAYER
Distortion: 1kHz <0.0015% (-96dB), 10kHz <0.003% (-90dB)
Frequency response: (20Hz-20 kHz): +/- 0.2dB

PRE
Frequency response: (-3dB): 280 kHz
Distortion (1kHz): <0.0008% / 102dB
Input sensitivity: Aux 600mV, 3.5mm 400mV
Maximum output level: Phono 9.2V, r.m.s XLR 18.4V r.m.s.
Ability to overload: 13dB
Input impedance: 14k Ohms
Input impedance: 10 Ohms
Signal / noise ratio: Wide Band> 96dB, DIN> 108dB, IEC "A"> 112dB
The absolute phase: Phono Zero Degrees, XLR Zero Degrees, Pin 2 Hot
Damping ratio XLR output (100Hz - 10kHz):> 60dB

DIGITAL INPUTS - coaxial and optical
Distortion: <0.001% at all supported sample rates, 44.1kHz, 48.0kHz, 88.2kHz, 96.0kHz, 192.0kHz *
* 192kHz supported only by the body input

DIGITAL USB INPUT
Distortion: <0.001% at all supported sample rates, 44.1kHz, 48.0kHz, 88.2kHz, 96.0kHz, 176.4kHz,
192.0kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz

SUPPORT FOR INDIVIDUAL
Optical and Coaxial: 16bit and 24bit
USB: 16bit, 24bit and 32bit

DSD
Frequency response -1dB: <10Hz - 50kHz
Support for DSD Rates: Windows DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256, MacOS DSD64 and DSD128

SIZE AND WEIGHT
Dimensions (HxWxD): 90 x 445 x 330mm
Weight: 7kg / 15.4Ilbs

The standard warranty covers two years. However, it is possible to extend the warranty to the
preamplifier and DAC section for up to 6 years.
To obtain a 6-year warranty, you must register the product on the website
http://atcaudio.pl/gwarancja-premium/

Postby Dogill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

The chip is an AKM4490, btw
Weiss DAC 502, ATC100SE

Postby saureign » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Postby MevDinc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Nice review.
ATC seem to excel in whatever they do, well done! :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Great review :)

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm

The CDA2-Mk2 is a significant improvement over the CDA2. Much better transport, much better DAC. Richard Newman spent almost 18 months on it and it shows. I will be using this as my source with an active set of 50s or 100s at AXPONA.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Lemen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 pm

I can't help but feel that ATC are a little behind the curve on this unit. The updates are superb but the lack of a bluetooth input seems quite an omission to me. Sure, I know there is a 3.5mm input for mobile type devices and I would expect that such devices will sound better connected
via the 3.5mm jack rather than bluetooth, but even so . . . .

Brad, may I ask; ATC's own images of the unit show that the front of the drawer has a bezel attached to match the finish of the brushed aluminium front plate. However, the HiFi News & Record Review magazine review (that saureign has linked to above) shows the unit without this bezel. Perhaps this particular unit is an early review sample, though it would seem strange for ATC to release a unit for review that may not be a final production unit. The unit looks SO much better with that matching bezel. Are you able to confirm which one is a finished unit please?

I hope to be able to have a listen to one in my home system in the coming weeks.

Lemen.

Postby Brad Lunde » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:29 am

Lemen wrote:I can't help but feel that ATC are a little behind the curve on this unit. The updates are superb but the lack of a bluetooth input seems quite an omission to me. Sure, I know there is a 3.5mm input for mobile type devices and I would expect that such devices will sound better connected
via the 3.5mm jack rather than bluetooth, but even so . . . .

Brad, may I ask; ATC's own images of the unit show that the front of the drawer has a bezel attached to match the finish of the brushed aluminium front plate. However, the HiFi News & Record Review magazine review (that saureign has linked to above) shows the unit without this bezel. Perhaps this particular unit is an early review sample, though it would seem strange for ATC to release a unit for review that may not be a final production unit. The unit looks SO much better with that matching bezel. Are you able to confirm which one is a finished unit please?

I hope to be able to have a listen to one in my home system in the coming weeks.

Lemen.

The ones I saw at the factory all have a matching front to the CD drawer? DO you mean that the aluminum doesn't match the front panel exactly or there was no aluminum at all? The photo I saw on the review above just looked like the aluminum doesn't match. But this could be light dependent? the one I have own my office looks fine, maybe the CD drawer aluminum is little off compared to the front panel. But this is very very difficult to match exact.

Maybe a bit behind in features, but way ahead in terms of amplifier and preamp. AS with most things, no perfect solution. For me, I like outboard blue tooth receivers I can plug in- because they all sound different.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

PreviousNext

Return to Hi-Fi