Headphones that sound like ATC?

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Headphones that sound like ATC?

Postby Allan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 am

Currently using a Chord Mojo into Grado SR80e headphones and I'm thinking of upgrading the headphones. having lived with ATC SCM19A's in my main system for a while now, and being hugely pleased with them, to say the least, headphone listening feels distinctly second best.

Just out of interest, which headphone brand does the forum consider to have an equivalence to ATC loudspeakers?

Re: Headphones that sound like ATC?

Postby darrenyeats » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:51 pm

I use electrostatic headphones (Muamp Spyder) with Stax energiser (SRM-353X).

I made some comments here in comparison to my active 50s: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads ... st-3293629.

The Muamps are in for repair at the moment though. I very much like Stax 009 headphones with the Stax valve energisers, and I liked the 007 headphones with Stax 353X solid-state energiser (the energiser I own) in a brief demo.

I believe electrostatics are the best headphone technology (and electrostatics are much better suited to headphone application than speaker application for a couple of reasons).

Postby studioman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm

I use Beyer Dynamic T1, Grado R1, and AKG 701 or 702 headphones. Love them all.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby Allan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

Well, I had intended to give this some thought, do a bit of research, go listen to a few brands and generally try to make a considered decision, and then after all that probably do the obvious thing and buy another pair of Grado's. However, I've crumbled at the first hurdle and impulse bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's (the model down from your T1's I believe Studioman) that popped up at a steal of a price.

I did do a brief trawl of the net before committing in order to get a flavour of what they're like. Clean, clear, precise, detailed and analytical even, yet smooth and refined and less "in your head" than most headphones seems to be the consensus. Will have to see when they arrive if they can pull off that trick of engaging and absorbing the listener in the music without drawing attention to themselves.

Postby studioman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Allan wrote:Well, I had intended to give this some thought, do a bit of research, go listen to a few brands and generally try to make a considered decision, and then after all that probably do the obvious thing and buy another pair of Grado's. However, I've crumbled at the first hurdle and impulse bought a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's (the model down from your T1's I believe Studioman) that popped up at a steal of a price.

I did do a brief trawl of the net before committing in order to get a flavour of what they're like. Clean, clear, precise, detailed and analytical even, yet smooth and refined and less "in your head" than most headphones seems to be the consensus. Will have to see when they arrive if they can pull off that trick of engaging and absorbing the listener in the music without drawing attention to themselves.

I'm sure they will be a great choice!
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby Allan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Just to update this thread, I've been on a bit of a journey!

The Beyerdynamics came and went. They were a bit too bright and insubstantial sounding and therefore not natural or realistic enough to simply get out of the way. I've now got a pair of 2018 manufactured Senneheiser HD 600's. Classic headphones that have been in production for 20-odd years with the occasional running change here and there. These are much closer to what I perceive my ATC's to be. They're not designed to sound pleasant, or fast, or rhythmic or tuneful, they're just transparent to the music. For me, it's rather like hearing ATC's for the first time, you know it when you hear it.

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 pm

+1
When I moved to Barcelona over 3 years ago I ended up buying a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 as I also found them to be very transparent.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby darrenyeats » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am

I heard the Momentums (v1) which I thought were well balanced, and an excellent choice at the price.

Return to Hi-Fi