Open stand or closed in stand for SCM150ASL?

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Open stand or closed in stand for SCM150ASL?

Postby Fourlegs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 am

I have just bought some nice second hand active SCM150ASL and they came with ATC open metal stands and ATC made box stands (similar to the Anniversary ones) which make them look like towers. Is there a view on which is best for sound quality?

Re: Open stand or closed in stand for SCM150ASL?

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am

Personally I prefer open from a visual point of view (I like the look of the Classic more than the Tower).

If there's anything in it at all for SQ - and I'm not sure there is - I'd think the stand mount would have less resonance. Probably speaker height is a more important factor, and that depends on how high your ears are, how far away you're sitting etc.! Aim for 5 degrees or less vertically off axis from mid driver.

Postby robski » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am

Discard them both. I tell you why.I have had on dem a pair of 100 Active towers for 6 weeks or more. The sound is great but the level of sheer attack and hf detail was not as good as my 50 asl classics they were to replace. The original stands with my 50s were discarded very shortly after i had them and i had a pair of stands made spiked top and bottom.And these have remained under the speakers since. The columns i half filled with sand and as said out preform the 100asl towers in all except bass. Knowing that the 100asl were the way to go i ordered a pair,not towers for reasons given but Classics. They were ordered without stands. Meanwhile i had a pair of stands made 200mm tall, 4 columns. the speakers were installed yesterday by Acoustica and Dave Spiers from ATC. I now have a pair of 100s that are as fast as my 50s and the bass goes even lower than the 100 towers. I have seen the speaker you have bought advertised. in Rosewood. They were £7000 from original seller about 2 months ago which was a good price. You may want to get the treble units swapped out to ATC own. The rest is current spec. with Mk4 amps. You will then have 150s that are current. But invest in some decent stands.
AS a foot note in 1997 i was at ATC when John WAtson turned up (Mana Acoustics) to dem his take on stands to fit 50,100 and 150s. It was remarkable Billy Woodman and Ashley James were there too. ATC know about how stands change sound. But they are pro manufacturers firstly where stuff like this don't matter. But they do know about the benefits. With Dave Spiers on board they are coming round to the idea again of the relationship between stands and speakers.

Postby Fourlegs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:24 pm

@robski Yes, those are the ones which I have bought and for a very similar price to the one you mention. The cabinets are basically unmarked and look very nice.

I have already been in touch with the factory (Pete) about getting the current tweeters fitted and the amps recalibrated. The only issue seems to be getting a slot in the factory time.

What you say about the stands is very interesting. Can you explain what is different to the open stands that ATC do (and which came with the speakers as well as the rosewood ones) or give me a contact for who did your stands?

Postby robski » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

yep the only problem at the moment at factory is being so busy. However. get em booked in and enjoy what is currently a speaker that still out performs everything else. Peter Guppy is your man at factory and will sort you out. but may take a while. as for the stands. The open ones ATC supply are effectively a fabricated affair which other than offering the speaker at the right height. they dont fix speaker. They need to be held in position so small spikes into bottom of speaker is needed and then at the other end spike into floor. They need to move energy away from cabs. and be damped enough to avoid resonating. Your enclosed stands are effectively sound boxes and will more than likely muddy the bass. ive done a few stands over the years based on some knowledge and trial and error. but without going into snake oil territory what you need is a 5mm steel top plate slightly smaller than the footprint of speaker then 4 upright pillars cut to the required height and a base same as top plate say 10mm. weld together. drill and tap for 4 spikes on top and same at bottom. Part fill uprights with play sand. Paint job done. there has to be a local jobbing shop to you to carry out this work. no more than £300 but so worth it.

Postby Fourlegs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks for all that. Yes, it is Peter that I am talking to about getting them booked in.

I am handy with my MIG welder and will probably make up the stands myself. The top and bottom plates with legs in between is fairly straightforward for me to fabricate.

Thanks again for the advice. I really like the speakers anyway and with the thought that they can only get better it is good news.

Postby paul_riordan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:08 am

Fourlegs wrote:@robski Yes, those are the ones which I have bought and for a very similar price to the one you mention. The cabinets are basically unmarked and look very nice.

I have already been in touch with the factory (Pete) about getting the current tweeters fitted and the amps recalibrated. The only issue seems to be getting a slot in the factory time.

What you say about the stands is very interesting. Can you explain what is different to the open stands that ATC do (and which came with the speakers as well as the rosewood ones) or give me a contact for who did your stands?

My speakers are currently at the factory for a service and fitting of the new tweeters... its taken a long time to get them there and they won;t be back with me for a while yet.... hopefully worth the wait....
Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
Video source: PC
Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s
Cinema Processor: Anthem D2v
Speakers: ATC SCM50ASL (Front and Centre), ATC C4 (Sub), ATC SCM20A-2 (Rear)
Screen: Pioneer KRP-600A

Postby Fourlegs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:25 am

paul_riordan wrote:My speakers are currently at the factory for a service and fitting of the new tweeters... its taken a long time to get them there and they won;t be back with me for a while yet.... hopefully worth the wait....

What was the approx lead in time before they took yours back and did you have to pester or did it just happen (eventually) once you had booked them in?

Postby robski » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 am

Earlier this year when I embarked on an upgrade path. I spoke with Peter about swapping all the 50s Classic speakers out of current Rosewood boxes and into a different Veneered 50 Tower system. Plus while they were there a recap etc. The price was very favourable considering the work and materials involved. But there was no promise as to when the work would begin. Plus with the mk2 amps i would be better off not to bother as they were not current spec. As said I decided on the 100 asl without ATC stands. I don't know how the repair/ servicing side works at the factory. I would not think Peter is on his own but normally they do turn stuff around quite quickly. in the past iv'e booked in stuff driven down and waited. The the ATC tweeters are a self fit if you need. Just buy some from them as i did it takes 30 minutes to swap em out. They are so closely matched to the seas you have you wont tell the difference for output. unless the seas have dried up. What you get in return is open extended treble with no distortion they are so far ahead of seas, they integrate so well with the mid dome. i'm not saying don't get them calibrated as even a 1/4 db will make a difference. but at least you will know your drive units are all current, albeit a bit of amp tweaking is necessary in the future. Speak with Nicky at ATC she is the go to person. Plus it spreads the cost.

Postby Fourlegs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 pm

I asked Pete about that this morning and he said company policy is not to sell the drivers to individuals. Do you think it is worth me seeing if I can get Nicky to sell me a couple?

Postby robski » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:26 pm

i think what that is, is ATC sold direct to up until about 2 years ago and when they moved away from direct sales. Maybe this is the reason. Nicki in this instance wouldn't help as its a corporate issue.

Postby paul_riordan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Fourlegs wrote:
paul_riordan wrote:My speakers are currently at the factory for a service and fitting of the new tweeters... its taken a long time to get them there and they won;t be back with me for a while yet.... hopefully worth the wait....

What was the approx lead in time before they took yours back and did you have to pester or did it just happen (eventually) once you had booked them in?

The first conversation about getting the upgrade booked in was probably at the beginning of this year.... The delays have partly been down to ATC but also some of it down to me - too many things going on... they are there now and hopefully will be back with me before the end of the year.... there are 5 speakers I have sent through in total !!!
Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
Video source: PC
Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s
Cinema Processor: Anthem D2v
Speakers: ATC SCM50ASL (Front and Centre), ATC C4 (Sub), ATC SCM20A-2 (Rear)
Screen: Pioneer KRP-600A

Return to Hi-Fi