dCS Bartok into 100SE actives

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

dCS Bartok into 100SE actives

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I had the pleasure of hearing this combo today at a dealer open day.

It sounded great! It managed to provide a bit "more" in almost every way (detail, pummelling, sound stage, low noise floor, air) than my active 50 system at home, and crucially not overstepping in any way or losing any musicality.

Bravo ATC and dCS, two great companies.

Re: dCS Bartok into 100SE actives

Postby darrenyeats » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:46 am

This inspired me, I've overnight resolved to do three things.
1. Move my listening position further from the back wall. For me it's going to be a real pain because I'll need to move first reflection treatments. I already thought I should do it but I was being lazy, and yesterday has given me the kick! It was my first impression when I listened back home and I'll act now.
2. Investigate newer/better DACs (thanks Brad).
3. My slight lingering doubts about the ATC tweeter are obliterated. Upgrade will happen sooner.

Cheers!
Darren

Postby MevDinc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

darrenyeats wrote:This inspired me, I've overnight resolved to do three things.
1. Move my listening position further from the back wall. For me it's going to be a real pain because I'll need to move first reflection treatments. I already thought I should do it but I was being lazy, and yesterday has given me the kick! It was my first impression when I listened back home and I'll act now.
2. Investigate newer/better DACs (thanks Brad).
3. My slight lingering doubts about the ATC tweeter are obliterated. Upgrade will happen sooner.

Cheers!
Darren

Thanks for the report Darren, I'm also considering the new dCS Bartok as my possible new upgrade. I'm very happy with my current DAC but whenever the source improves so does the SQ I get out of my system. That's the beauty of ATC, they get better with every little improvement.

I posted about speaker positioning several times and I think it is one of the most crucial measures you can take towards improving sound quality. It's tiring to move around the big ATCs but it's well worth the effort.
One of the qualities of the ATC speakers are that they are more room friendly than most other speakers. My listening position is very close to my big ATCs and I listen to music for ours. So, don't be afraid to move the speakers out of the front and side walls as much as possible to free the speakers from room interaction.

And yes, tweeter upgrade does make a big difference. All ATC drivers in perfect harmony. :)

There are lots of articles on speaker positioning, enjoy, it's a lot of fun!

Good luck.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Alastair » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:13 pm

darrenyeats wrote:I had the pleasure of hearing this combo today at a dealer open day.

It sounded great! It managed to provide a bit "more" in almost every way (detail, pummelling, sound stage, low noise floor, air) than my active 50 system at home, and crucially not overstepping in any way or losing any musicality.

Bravo ATC and dCS, two great companies.

I really wanted to go to this! Just timing with my daughters birthday...don’t think it would have been a 2 yr olds treat to go to a hi Fi demo!

I ran the Network Bridge and legacy Purcell / Elgar for a bit. It’s really good stuff, just was not practical (child running around and the legacy units run very warm which made me paranoid about impacting on their longetivity) for me and serious 2 channel listening is very limited anyway.

I think it’s fair to say there is a lot of good source components out there now, so a good situation.
Sys 1: ATC Classic SCM100ASL, C1C, SCM11, C6, CDA2 MK2 / Krell Showcase 5 / Oppo 203 / Emotiva XMC-1
Sys 2: Quad Pro-63, Elite QSP, Pre & CDX
Gym: Meridian DSP5000 96/24, DSP5000C 96/24, D6000, 568.2MM, 518
Roon, Tidal, Dirac

Postby darrenyeats » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Today moved my listening position 20cm forward and the speakers 2cm nearer to the wall behind them. I now have 1m distance from my ears to the (sloped) wall reflection point behind. Piano is much improved. Sound field is better. Also the main room mode is much less noticeable. All in all, a very worthwhile re-balance.

Q. Does it sound like the Bartok and 100SEs did on Saturday?
A. It can't even if I had a Bartok and 100SEs, because I'm in a small room, but it sounds more like it!

What's funny is that I advised someone on pinkfish about a month ago to have at least 1m of space behind the listening position ... I was just putting it off because of the work! As it happens, it looks like I'll only have to move a minority of my first reflection treatments - the ones for seats to the extreme left and right that I don't use normally - because most angles haven't changed significantly.

In summary I'm feeling less urgency about points (2) and (3) again (sorry Brad I'm back-sliding!) Finally, I was listening to test tracks and "accidentally" listened to a whole album - I don't think I've sacrificed anything musically.

Postby ledcam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 pm

The combination of dCS and ATC makes for a very persuasive argument! :D
dCS Rossini dac and clock : Audiocom Signature Oppo 103 : ATC SCA2 : ATC 100SE: Paradigm 2000 Sub: Some Vertex boxes and platforms.

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Ha-ha!

Go on hit us ... how do you find the Rossini?

Postby ledcam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:57 pm

The Rossini is a great sounding dac. We’ve had ours just over two years now. Initially we played it on its own and then having heard the clock decided to add that too. The clock brings about quite an improvement and it’s not a subtle one.

As you’ll know dCS released a major software update for the Rossini in January of this year and that took the playing level into another league.

I know there’s a lot of feeling both pro and anti towards MQA. On balance I think on many recordings it sounds better. It’s a nice addition to have and all the more remarkable that the dCS engineers did it through software alone rather than a hardware modification.

I do sometimes wonder how the Rossini stacks up against the Vivaldi. I have never heard it’s big brother but remain curious. That said the price differential is substantial for the Vivaldi dac, upsampler and clock.

The reviews I’ve read on the Bartók suggest it is no slouch though again not having heard it I’m in the dark. I believe though it shares a lot of the Rossini DNA so it should make for a highly capable and formidable front end.
dCS Rossini dac and clock : Audiocom Signature Oppo 103 : ATC SCA2 : ATC 100SE: Paradigm 2000 Sub: Some Vertex boxes and platforms.

Return to Hi-Fi