ATC PA-65

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Re: ATC PA-65

Postby Lemen » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:23 am

@ studioman

Thanks for the great read - most interesting.
The addition of the power LED is a good idea.

Regarding the midrange waveguide; my old pair of 35's had the moulding marks that you describe - a circular shape either side of
the 3 waveguide fixing bolts. The waveguides on the 50's I have now do not have the same moulding marks. They are currently
painted white (as finished at the ATC factory (or wherever the cabinets/waveguides are finished)), so I guess, like you did yourself,
the marks were removed in the preparation for painting. I'd like to return the waveguides to black, so it may be possible for me to
remove the white paint without damaging the black plastic surface underneath. I was thinking to use some hydraulic brake fluid for
the removal. Of course, if the moulding marks were removed with fine sand paper, the plastic will be marked and I would have to
paint anyway, so no problem either way! Thanks so much for the detailed description. I'll have no problems to do the job, other
than finding the time.
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby studioman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Just make sure if you're considering doing a stripping and paint job, NOT to do it in situ. Any solvents near the dome would probably spell disaster. Remove the waveguide...I found it so easy. The threaded brass inserts for the mounting bolts will stay put. Personally I wouldn't use anything like a solvent on any crucial plastic parts. And if they're painted already, it may be that all you have to do is rub down the surface of the paint with wet and dry paper, in a sink, under running water, just to provide a key for your paint, and use a grey primer followed by your chosen paint. Good luck.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby scm100 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:30 am

Top quality work there Studioman.....well done !
ATC SM100 ASL PRO , SCM20 ASL PRO MK2 , Two ATC C4 SCM 0.1/12 Subwoofers.
Bel Canto Pre6 Gen2 multi channel preamp , Oppo BDP95 , Wadia WT3200 cd transport , Benchmark dac1 HDR.
Technics SL1000MK3 turntable , Dynavector 17d3 , Whest PS30R.

Postby studioman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Thank you! That took me from 62 to 63 years old and I didn't even notice! Good practice for dementia!
Last edited by studioman on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby studioman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Lemen wrote:@ studioman

Thanks for the great read - most interesting.
The addition of the power LED is a good idea........

The Amp pack switch has ¼" spade connectors to the transformer and to the main circuit board. That is really convenient because you can buy some female piggyback connectors which will clip straight onto the switch, then you can crimp these onto the wires from a 240v LED...thereby taking the power to the neon indicator on the front of your cabinet.
Last edited by studioman on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby studioman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Stainless steel outriggers, spikes and adjusters all finished today. Very pleased. :-) My M10 threaded castors will fit into these as well, making movement / positioning a doddle, before one by one replacing the castors with the spikes.

Will fit these when the cabs are complete.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:31 pm

They look amazing :D Did you make those yourself too?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Matt.
Sorry, only just noticed your kind comment.
They are my design, done on CAD. ( That is my forté. :-) )
I sent the designs to a company to laser cut the stainless arms out, and the other parts were turned by a friend of mine who does a lot of turning for me.

Here's a close-up, although in this pic the outrigger arms are not yet finished to a brushed finish. Needless to say, that has been done now.

One set of outriggers is now fitted to PRIDE, my left hand speaker, which is now virtually complete. The spikes are not yet fitted, as I need temporary castors so that I can move these behemoths around.
All the drive units are now wired and in, and I'm going to fit the amp on Friday.

Then I will start the final stages on JOY, the right hand speaker. :-) (think 'Ant & Dec'.)

Postby Lemen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:12 pm

studioman wrote:I sent the designs to a company to laser cut the stainless arms out, and the other parts were turned by a friend of mine who does a lot of turning for me. Here's a close-up, although in this pic the outrigger arms are not yet finished to a brushed finish. Needless to say, that has been done now.

One set of outriggers is now fitted to PRIDE, my left hand speaker, which is now virtually complete.
All the drive units are now wired and in, and I'm going to fit the amp on Friday.

I think perhaps every ATC owner could do with a friend like yours! Those outriggers are superb. I have been looking for something similar. The problem for me, though, is that with the outriggers fixed to the underside of each speaker, the speaker will then become extremely difficult to accurately locate in its final position, especially on thick carpet. The ideal thing for me would be a spiked/coned base that can be accurately positioned and then the speaker slid on top of it. I'm unable to find anything that suits my needs though. So I may have to explore the same avenue as youself and have something made to my own design.

PRIDE and JOY are looking fab!
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby MattSPL » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:20 pm

The speakers look great :D
Any idea what they weigh?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Lemen wrote:
studioman wrote:I sent the designs to a company to laser cut the stainless arms out, and the other parts were turned by a friend of mine who does a lot of turning for me. Here's a close-up, although in this pic the outrigger arms are not yet finished to a brushed finish. Needless to say, that has been done now.

One set of outriggers is now fitted to PRIDE, my left hand speaker, which is now virtually complete.

I think perhaps every ATC owner could do with a friend like yours! Those outriggers are superb. I have been looking for something similar. The problem for me, though, is that with the outriggers fixed to the underside of each speaker, the speaker will then become extremely difficult to accurately locate in its final position, especially on thick carpet. The ideal thing for me would be a spiked/coned base that can be accurately positioned and then the speaker slid on top of it. I'm unable to find anything that suits my needs though. So I may have to explore the same avenue as youself and have something made to my own design.

PRIDE and JOY are looking fab!

Hi Lemen.

Might be able to help....

The guy who did my stainless lathe work is a guy on eBay who custom turns anything of a reasonable size. He has done a number of parts for me, and has become a 'distance' friend and work colleague.
As my strength in particular is Computer Aided Design, he can program his lathe to my specs. If you are serious about it, I don't mind doing a bit of Pro-Bono CADwork for you, then you can send him the file and deal with him direct. The outrigger bars were laser cut by a different company, and were very basic when they arrived (not drilled or given their brushed finish). Let me know, and also if you do want to think about going ahead with it, I could message you privately to tell you how much they cost.

My design on my speakers allows me to move the speakers with the outriggers fitted, using a set of four 10mm threaded castors screwed in place of the spikes, to get them finally into place, then the plan is to tip them, remove the castors and replace them with the spikes and adjusters.

Your other alternative would be to make (or have made for you) a thick base of plywood or pdf or even acrylic (much more expensive) either cut by hand or laser cut, maybe painted black, , and have the spikes and locknuts screwed into this. So you're actually making a platform which, as you say, you could slide your speakers onto. I would put some sticky back felt on top of it so the speakers don't get scratched. I could also help you design that.

Postby studioman » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:48 pm

MattSPL wrote:The speakers look great :D
Any idea what they weigh?

Hi Matt.

I have no way of weighing it.
However, they are modelled on the SCM150ASLT Anniversary models, which weigh 77kg each
PLUS all the extras I have put in....
Townshend supertweeters 0.5kg
Spikes and outriggers 2.1kg
Internal wall thickness panels (to make it up to 37mm) and all internal partitions (18mm MDF) approx 14kg
Bituminous panels approx 3kg
Extra internal damping (25mm acoustic felt) approx 2kg
6mm thick Aluminium vents 2kg extra

That takes it to just over 100kg each.

Ouch, my back.... :-)

Postby studioman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 am

Front power indicator is now ON!!!!!

Postby MattSPL » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:37 pm

They are seriously heavy beasts :D
Is there sound to go with that power light?

Postby studioman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi Matt.

Can't fool a guy like you! No, you guessed it! In my 'steady as she goes' nautical way, I just decided to test the neon indicator (240v) by putting a 13amp plug on the end of the cable.... I didn't want to find after I'd connected everything up and sealed the speakers, that the neon didn't work....so I'm testing everything separately before assembly....

Recent progress: I have now got the second baffle sealed onto the second cab (Joy) and have all the internal wiring connected, and both the tweeter and midrange fitted.

Later this week (apart from working outside digging out a garden path!), I should have the 100% pure wool teased and stuffed into Joy, have the bass driver fitted, and completed the super tweeter housing and connection.

At the weekend I am hoping to fit the outriggers and castors onto the base of Joy. I then have some final work to do on the veneer. Then hopefully fit the amp sometime next week after my daughter's birthday and my hospital procedure!

Then, as it says on my T-shirt, "When I listen to Led Zeppelin, my neighbours do too."

PreviousNext

Return to Hi-Fi