Valve pre amp

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Re: Valve pre amp

Postby haken8 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Okto

Just got back from holiday to find your post. Very interesting to hear your views on the Avant with the ATCs. I have just started tube rolling and there is a definite improvement. Could the gain issue with you be due to the Mullard tubes? Its only a thought. One way to find out is to put the original EE tubes back in.
I have changed to GE 5751 x 2 and 5 x Phillips. I like this sound but was considering the Mullards but the valve advisor at Watford Valves stated that they would give a very good midrange but that the top end would suffer overall.

I have also changed the 6X4 rectifier for a Tung Sol 6X4 - big improvement. Well worth a try for only £16

Hope that helps

regards

Tom

Postby Bertie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:57 pm

I have an EAR 864 b which I am very happy with. The rest of the chain (incl benchmark DAC) is splendidly analytical which betrays much digital matter sounding raw. The EAR injects "lit from within" tube magic without taking anything away except poss a smidgen off bass definition (tho pro reviewers say not). 2 x XLR pre out are very handy for the sub. I am a fan of tubes and of ATCs and this is a fine way to combine them.

Postby Red MacKay » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:31 pm

The best 6X4 I have heard is a blue label GEC, used in my Line Magnetic DAC.

They are a little hard to find, but worth the effort.

Previous

Return to Hi-Fi