Are Krell and ATC good bedfellows..???

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Are Krell and ATC good bedfellows..???

Postby maxlegroom » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:20 pm

I can imagine this one sparking quite some debate. I've got the stunning SCM19's ( 1st series ) and are happily driving them with the acclaimed ( if slightly dated now ) AVI Lab Series S21 M1 integrated....it is indeed a 'muscle peach' as the reviews state. I need to move with the times and the Amp upgrade is next. I love the spec of the Krell s-550i however i've not heard rave reviews anywhere about it's partnering ability with ATC's..? Thoughts?
ALSO : the AVI Amp has power, transparency and delicacy ; would the Krell disappoint me or is it a perfect upgrade?! Help !
Regards,
Chris.

Cyrus8VS /Krell S-300i /REL StadiumIII /REL StrataIII /Nordost /Isotek SigmasGII /Auralex sound conditioning/Auralex GRAMMA supports/ATC SCM19's...PHEW!

Re: Are Krell and ATC good bedfellows..???

Postby Alexk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Depends what you are trying to achieve I suppose. The best option for increasing the performance of your system might be to upgrade to the newer SCM19s, which are a rather large upgrade over the previous model.

Changing the amplifier would bring a much smaller improvement IMO.

RE the Krell, can't really help unfortunately!

Postby MattSPL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:15 pm

I used to own a pair of scm19's and a Krell Kav300i.
This was a nice combination, if a little bright in the upper mids. I found the Krell had plenty of power to drive the 19's.

I then upgraded the amp to a Chapter Audio preface+ and Couplet pre power combo. This was an improvement, but as Alex said, changing the amplifier won't bring a huge upgrade unless you are going from something like an underpowered budget amp to a powerful high end amp.
A speaker change almost always brings the largest change/upgrade to sound.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby maxlegroom » Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm

My question chaps was more around the perceived partnering abilities of Krell with ATC and NOT the best upgrade path route thanks... Comments..?
Regards,
Chris.

Cyrus8VS /Krell S-300i /REL StadiumIII /REL StrataIII /Nordost /Isotek SigmasGII /Auralex sound conditioning/Auralex GRAMMA supports/ATC SCM19's...PHEW!

Postby stever750 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Are your options limited to retaining current amp, or changing it for the Krell?

Postby larsen » Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 pm

i used to have 100 sl p driven by a fpb 300, then got a pair of 50 asl - much better.....

Postby maxlegroom » Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 am

so i took the plunge and now own a Krell S-300i... Absolutely thrilled to bits with the improvement over the AVI Lab Series ! I now have the AVI Lab Series on Ebay !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVI-Laborator ... 4195f6d825
Regards,
Chris.

Postby MattSPL » Mon May 11, 2015 8:04 pm

Glad the upgrade went well :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby maxlegroom » Tue May 12, 2015 1:52 pm

cheers mattSPL ; all i now need is a CD upgrade to capitalise on the balanced XLR connections to the Krell.... Where's that lotto win (!)
Regards,
Chris.

Postby MattSPL » Tue May 12, 2015 7:26 pm

maxlegroom wrote:cheers mattSPL ; all i now need is a CD upgrade to capitalise on the balanced XLR connections to the Krell.... Where's that lotto win (!)

Yes it's an endless path to sonic perfection :D
Have you thought about adding a balanced Dac like a Benchmark Dac2 or Hegel's new HD12?

Cheers
Matt

Postby maxlegroom » Wed May 13, 2015 3:20 pm

i wasn't considering it ... I may save up and go the balanced DAC route though...only IF i can't get a decent single CD with balanced outs really... ( like Krell s-350i / Mark Levinson etc or similar )...
Regards,
Chris.

Postby MattSPL » Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm

The Dac route gives great flexibility(I have sky box, bluray, and laptop connected),but a good quality dedicated CD player is perfect if most of your listening is CD's.

Postby maxlegroom » Thu May 21, 2015 8:24 am

dedicated decent CD all the way
Regards,
Chris.

Postby studioman » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am

I had in use (and still own) a Krell FPB200 (so did MattSPL) but I used this with some Celef speakers which have ATC bass drivers. I also have a Krell CD with balanced outputs....an older model....and it sounds fantastic through my little SPL headphone amp / preamp into my huge ATC SCM150 type active speakers.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:52 am

I bet that Krell CD player sounds good :D

Return to Hi-Fi