ATC SCM150ASLT Conversions WARNING: Full Frontal Nudity.!

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

ATC SCM150ASLT Conversions WARNING: Full Frontal Nudity.!

Postby studioman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:41 pm

This follows on from my contributions to the PA-65 thread on ATC Forums....

My 2 cross-dressing girls, (recently transformed from ATC PA65s to SCM150ASLT-Anniversary style cabinets) named Pride and Joy, have been my DIY project for the past year.

This morning, for the first time, they joined me in the living room....

They are now finished, other than the front grilles, so they're not QUITE dressed for the party yet. But they're going to rock''roll for the first time today....

Joy has her right leg raised for me to remove her roller-skates and see if her pointy shoe fits.... And it DOES! She CAN go to the Ball :-)

So, with her high heels on, Joy is ready to go to the Ball....

Now Pride is ready...

Ready to rock!

They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Re: ATC SCM150ASLT Conversions WARNING: Full Frontal Nudity.!

Postby Lemen » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 pm

studioman wrote:This morning, for the first time, they joined me in the living room....
Ready to rock!

SU-flippin-PERB!

Enjoy your blast! Looking forward to hear your thoughts.
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby MattSPL » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Congratulations David, amazing work :D
Have they stretched their legs yet?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks Lemen and Matt.

Yes, they have 'stretched their legs' :-)

I moved them into the lounge yesterday morning. The XLR cables were already in position under the carpet, but I had to spend a few hours rigging up my system at the far end of the room on a temporary basis.... Over the next couple of weeks I need to tidy out my 'hifi rack/cupboard' and reposition a couple of shelves. I have a few options for setting my stereo up, including choice of DAC, etc cabling choices etc., BUT....

Today it was CD only.

And YES, everything sounded great. :-)

I tried it all at low levels and decided to use some XLR attenuators so that my preamp volume control was going to work at about '12 o'clock' when listening at realistic sound levels.

So by 2pm yesterday I had invited my wife in for a short listening session, playing Daniella Colton, Ana Popovic, Miranda Lambert, David Gilmour, Lee-Ann Womack, all discs she was unfamiliar with.
We both thought that a very slight tweak was necessary re: the bass which was not overpowering at all, but it she said she could feel it in her chest, so I'm going to do a room-sweep with a sound generator later and see if I can move a couple of sound absorbers around (at the moment they're behind the sofas and the hifi cabinet).
Vocals were AMAZING. Bass had superb clarity. Especially when I put on some Brian Bromberg later.
She asked if the centre speaker (a Linn Centrik) was being used, to which I said 'no' and she commented on the spaciousness and 'out of the box' airy sound quality which she could sense as she moved around the room and EVEN (which really surprised me...) BEHIND the speakers.
It amazed me also that nothing felt 'too much' or 'too big'. Not overpowering for the size of the room at all. So SCM150s DO work in moderately sized rooms. Thank goodness!

VERY pleased.

VERY, VERY pleased. :-)

And they were still there this morning when I got up!

The story of my DIY project is still here if anyone else is interested:

https://uk.pinterest.com/TheTrike/pride-joy-my-diy-atc-loudspeaker-project-pa65-atc-/

Here's a screenshot of just one part of my Pinterest board just to whet your appetite!

They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:36 pm

Great news David, I bet your delighted :D
That bass in your chest feeling is the holy grail, you have reached bass perfection :D

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby AlmaataKZ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Superb!
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby studioman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks, AlmaataKZ

Postby Brad Lunde » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:15 am

Studioman,

You really need to put some treatment on those walls (the first reflection points) next to those super cool 150s you built. I KNOW that those walls are messing with the image and changing things big time.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby MevDinc » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Excellent job with equally excellent finish and ATC sound!
Well done, enjoy! :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby studioman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Brad Lunde wrote:Studioman,

You really need to put some treatment on those walls (the first reflection points) next to those super cool 150s you built. I KNOW that those walls are messing with the image and changing things big time.

Brad

Hi Brad
You're totally correct! However, I think if I put anything on the inside walls, I myself might be relegated to viewing the walls from the outside!
The imaging is PRETTY darned good anyway.....
Last edited by studioman on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby studioman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:40 pm

MevDinc wrote:Excellent job with equally excellent finish and ATC sound!
Well done, enjoy! :)

Thanks MevDinc.

Postby Brad Lunde » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:42 am

studioman wrote:Hi Brad
You're totally correct! However, I think if I put anything on the inside walls, I myself might be relegated to viewing the walls from the outside!
The imaging is PRETTY darned good anyway.....

Ahh, the WAF, the most important spec in all of high end audio!

Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby studioman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:32 am

Hi Brad...
Yes, it IS partly the WAF....I guy has to APPEAR reasonable even when he is installing a ridiculously huge pair of speakers.....but also, ATC's positioning recommendation is to try them 1 metre (3ft 3") away from sidewalls and 2 metres (6ft 6") from the rear wall, which in most British houses would make it impossible to accommodate them.
My room is 3,5metres wide and 6,5metres long. So I have a bit of a problem...if I want to make it a problem.... :D
If I started out by using the recommended positions away from side and rear walls, I'd find that my speakers were almost next to each other in front of my plasma screen! Also I wouldn't be able to get behind them to close my curtains. :D
Maybe I should have gone for Wharfedale Diamonds! NOOOOOO!!!!!!
So I guess I just have to count my blessings....and they start with....
My lovely wife who has allowed the beasts (including me...) into the room, and they sound great, even in their current positions. (the speakers, that is...) :-)

I have managed to hide some 25mm sound studio-sourced absorbent panels of acoustic felt in a few discrete positions in the room....there's a huge 5ft x 3ft piece behind my electronics cabinet, a 3ft x 5ft piece behind each sofa, and a 3ft x 2ft piece behind my DVD/Bluray collection cabinet. But these are all hidden behind furniture....so I know their effect will be reduced, but I hope that, in particular, the one behind the electronics cabinet, which houses CD Player, turntable etc, will help absorb standing waves and some of the reflected sound, reducing the effect on my turntable, electronics etc...

Next thing is to set up all the electronics a bit better...and finalise my plans to try to integrate the speakers into the surround sound system as well.
Last edited by studioman on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby MattSPL » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Anymore thoughts on their sound? Compared to the PA65's?

Cheers
Matt

Postby Brad Lunde » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes, I understand. Most of us have similar problems. I do know from working with ATC staff side by side (Ben just spent over a week with me in the states visiting studios with me) that if you have position problems, moving speakers back to the rear wall is usually better than a compromised position out away from the wall. Second, if you have to be near a side boundary, as you do, that is a top problem; you have to try and reduce those boundary effects (absorption). So maybe experiment and take a panel you have hidden and when you re seriously listening, bring it out and put it on the side walls right next to the speakers where the tweeter/mids would splash the walls, see what happens. I think it will be a big effect.

Brad

studioman wrote:Hi Brad...
Yes, it IS partly the WAF....I guy has to APPEAR reasonable even when he is installing a ridiculously huge pair of speakers.....but also, ATC's positioning recommendation is to try them 1 metre (3ft 3") away from sidewalls and 2 metres (6ft 6") from the rear wall, which in most British houses would make it impossible to accommodate them.
My room is 3,5metres wide and 6,5metres long. So I have a bit of a problem...if I want to make it a problem.... :D
If I started out by using the recommended positions away from side and rear walls, I'd find that my speakers were almost next to each other in front of my plasma screen! Also I wouldn't be able to get behind them to close my curtains. :D
Maybe I should have gone for Wharfedale Diamonds! NOOOOOO!!!!!!
So I guess I just have to count my blessings.
My lovely wife who has allowed the beasts (including me...) into the room, and they sound great, even in their current positions.

I have managed to hide some 25mm sound studio-sourced absorbent panels of acoustic felt in a few discrete positions in the room....there's a huge 5ft x 3ft piece behind my electronics cabinet, a 3ft x 5ft piece behind each sofa, and a 3ft x 2ft piece behind my DVD/Bluray collection cabinet. But these are all hidden behind furniture....so I know their effect will be reduced, but I hope that, in particular, the one behind the electronics cabinet, which houses CD Player, turntable etc, will help absorb standing waves and some of the reflected sound, reducing the effect on my turntable, electronics etc...

Next thing is to set up all the electronics a bit better...and finalise my plans to try to integrate the speakers into the surround sound system as well.
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Next

Return to Hi-Fi