ATC SCM150ASLT Conversions WARNING: Full Frontal Nudity.!

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Re: ATC SCM150ASLT Conversions WARNING: Full Frontal Nudity.!

Postby studioman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Thanks, Brad...I will try that! I might even see if I have a stock of the wallpaper in the garage.

Maybe I can package a piece of the sound absorbent panel in wallpaper and nobody will notice when it's in position.....

Cheers, David
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi David,

How are you getting on with your SCM150's?
Have your neighbors complained yet :)

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi Matt

I have been steadily adjusting the front spikes to get the 5 degree above ear level position that ATC recommend. That 'sweet spot'.

I have had to put attenuators in the chain to reduce the overall volume, so that I can adjust the volume control more reasonably.

I think Brad is correct about the benefit of having sound absorbers against the side walls to absorb reflections, but OMG, voices in particular sound IN THE ROOM. They are SO realistic. On the other hand, the 150s take no prisoners. I have a CD of James Taylor and Carole King reunited for a live concert, and JT's voice is clearly VERY nasal.....he's always had that tone, but it really sounds as though on that day he has a sore throat..... But EVERY other voice I've heard through them is so unbelievably tangible, that I think this really is JT having a change in his older voice, or a throat infection! The midrange is VERY revealing.

All else is fine. My wife even said she's getting used to them...I think she said she actually rather likes them. (Anything suggesting more than a ZERO score has to be a positive!)

I'm sorta in the middle of a few other DIY jobs at the moment too, but am still making steady progress on integrating the 150s into my AV system too.

Should be ready for The Great Escape at Christmas. :-)
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby GAT474 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:32 am

What attenuators are you using Studioman? I borrowed some 10dB Rothwells and found that they too away a little from the dynamics of my SCM50's. I have a bit of a hair trigger on my volume control but prefer that than with the Rothwells in place.

Postby studioman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:31 pm

The Attenuators are cheap ones off eBay....XLR types in -10, -15 and -20dB versions. I ended up using the -15dB ones.....to be honest I didn't notice any difference in dynamics, perhaps because I was focusing on the volume issue. I will check it out....Thanks for the heads-up.

Postby MattSPL » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:19 am

studioman wrote:Hi Matt

I have been steadily adjusting the front spikes to get the 5 degree above ear level position that ATC recommend. That 'sweet spot'.

I have had to put attenuators in the chain to reduce the overall volume, so that I can adjust the volume control more reasonably.

I think Brad is correct about the benefit of having sound absorbers against the side walls to absorb reflections, but OMG, voices in particular sound IN THE ROOM. They are SO realistic. On the other hand, the 150s take no prisoners. I have a CD of James Taylor and Carole King reunited for a live concert, and JT's voice is clearly VERY nasal.....he's always had that tone, but it really sounds as though on that day he has a sore throat..... But EVERY other voice I've heard through them is so unbelievably tangible, that I think this really is JT having a change in his older voice, or a throat infection! The midrange is VERY revealing.

All else is fine. My wife even said she's getting used to them...I think she said she actually rather likes them. (Anything suggesting more than a ZERO score has to be a positive!)

I'm sorta in the middle of a few other DIY jobs at the moment too, but am still making steady progress on integrating the 150s into my AV system too.

Should be ready for The Great Escape at Christmas. :-)

Good to hear they are performing well for you and a bonus that your wife accepts them :)

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Just finished the first grille frame today...with diffraction reduction slots, radiuses external surface, and corner supports made of resin. This one is covered with grille cloth.

Postby MattSPL » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Great job David, they look shop bought :)

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:10 am

Very clever grille frame!
Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby studioman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks, Brad....Although black, the grille frame is actually made from some well seasoned Honduras mahogany that I had in my garage from my guitar making days.... I finger jointed it at the corners, made the profile an L shape, cut the diffraction reducing slots, added pieces of quadrant on the exterior, and finally used an epoxy resin to build up the corners to to the correct angled profile, streamlining these corners towards the nearby slots...
Then I painted them, stapled on the grille cloth, cut some felt to cover any visible wood on the inside near the diffraction reducing slots, and fitted them!

I also took a hint from the old BBC LS3/5a speakers and added a 100% wool felt collar around the HF drivers....

Postby MattSPL » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Lovely craftsmanship there :)

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Wow Studioman!

What a fantastic project. Stunning work.

Did you or do you still work in a recording studio?
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby studioman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi Shadorne.
Thanks for the compliment about my little project.
I am retired, having had a lifelong interest in guitars, amps, studio technology, remastering, and finally, high fidelity reproduction.
My career was forty years teaching Design & Technology.

Previous

Return to Hi-Fi