The Pre/DAC for SCM40A

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Re: The Pre/DAC for SCM40A

Postby Greenjoy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 am

Matt70 wrote:Hi,

I've had opportunity to compare 4 DACs with Pre function:Mytek Brooklyn, PrismSound Callia, Benchmark 3 and Calysto Femto with ATC SCA2 and in my opinion there is a really big difference, I mean the sound via SCA 2 is better in any considaration than directly via DAC. In terms of pure DACs, Calysto Femto was the best for me.

Cheers
Matt

Matt - I'm looking for a dac/pre-amp to pair with a future pair of ATC Actives (most likely SCM20 Pro Mk2). I had my sights set on the Benchmark Dac 3, but was recommended the Callia recently. From your experience of the Brooklyn, Benchmark 3, & Callia, would you be able to rate how they compared to your ears? Did you have a preference between these three or was there not much difference? They are similarly priced, and in my price range, so would really appreciate the feedback as it's unlikely I'll be able to audition these together. Thanks!

Postby xtraktz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Flatovercrest wrote:Wait and save up for the SCA2.

I have never heard such a transparent preamp. Once heard you will never want to part with it. :)

+1
> MAC MINI (MD387|SSD|16GB|10.9.5) > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

Postby Shadorne » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Greenjoy wrote:
Matt70 wrote:Hi,

I've had opportunity to compare 4 DACs with Pre function:Mytek Brooklyn, PrismSound Callia, Benchmark 3 and Calysto Femto with ATC SCA2 and in my opinion there is a really big difference, I mean the sound via SCA 2 is better in any considaration than directly via DAC. In terms of pure DACs, Calysto Femto was the best for me.

Cheers
Matt

Matt - I'm looking for a dac/pre-amp to pair with a future pair of ATC Actives (most likely SCM20 Pro Mk2). I had my sights set on the Benchmark Dac 3, but was recommended the Callia recently. From your experience of the Brooklyn, Benchmark 3, & Callia, would you be able to rate how they compared to your ears? Did you have a preference between these three or was there not much difference? They are similarly priced, and in my price range, so would really appreciate the feedback as it's unlikely I'll be able to audition these together. Thanks!

I have not made direct comparisons of the DAC3 in my system against the others mentioned here. However you won't be disappointed with a DAC3 from Benchmark - I can guarantee that - best I have ever heard from digital (to my ears)!
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Greenjoy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 am

For the record, I ended up going with the Benchmark DAC 3 HGC. It's my first external DAC, and I can't really compare to anything else, but I'm really pleased with the sound. It certainly lives up to all the positive reviews of being very detailed and neutral. Listening with my Sennheiser HD600s directly into the DAC sounds amazing. Now the wait begins until I can pair it with a future set of Active ATCs.

Previous

Return to Hi-Fi