The Pre/DAC for SCM40A

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

The Pre/DAC for SCM40A

Postby Mat1972 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi All,

I've ordered SCM 40A and I'm thinking now about appropriate pre or dac or dac including Preamp and CD. Currently I use Oppo 105D and I'm really satisfied, but I believe that these speakers should have better company. Could you please share with me your equipment ? Additionally what kind of XLR and power cable you use ?
Some times ago I've pleasure to hear Hovland HP200p, great Preamp. However, I don't know how would cooperate with activ speakers, becuse impedance output is 2.5kOhm.

Thanks in advance for share your experience,
M

Re: The Pre/DAC for SCM40A

Postby Oldboy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:40 pm

I have used budget pre-amps from Ayre all the way up to the Ayre KXR with my PA65's and they are brilliant with ATCs.
Macbook Pro, Bel Canto Ref Link, Wadia 27ix, Ayre KXR Twenty, ATC PA65A's

Postby studioman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 pm

I understand that a preamp for use with ATC active speakers should at least have as low an output impedance as possible. Certainly ATC's own preamps have low output impedance.
I have used a couple of SPL and Audio Research preamps with mine and they both sound very very good, but I'm also in the process of determining the best option for a preamp.
So I'll be watching this thread with interest....
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 am

studioman wrote:I understand that a preamp for use with ATC active speakers should at least have as low an output impedance as possible. Certainly ATC's own preamps have low output impedance.
I have used a couple of SPL and Audio Research preamps with mine and they both sound very very good, but I'm also in the process of determining the best option for a preamp.
So I'll be watching this thread with interest....

I think the difference in sonics of DACS is tremendous. Preamps less so, but still a noticeable difference between brands. My only hard advice? No unbalanced lines.

The good news is that with ATC you can hear differences like crazy. The bad news is with ATC you can hear the differences like crazy. So I think you by the best DAC and preamp you can and then get balanced cables that don't mess them up. Its a bit of a puzzle and a skilled dealer with great ears can be very helpful.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Flatovercrest » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Wait and save up for the SCA2.

I have never heard such a transparent preamp. Once heard you will never want to part with it. :)
Alex.

ATC SCM50ASL`s, ATC SCA2 Preamp, Aune CD Pro transport kit, DDDAC 16 stack Dac, Lots of room treatment.

Postby Lemen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:23 am

Brad Lunde wrote:The good news is that with ATC you can hear differences like crazy. The bad news is with ATC you can hear the differences like crazy.
Brad

Hello Brad,
Do you have any insider info about a possible MKII version of the ATC CDA2 please? Maybe more inputs and Bluetooth.
ATC seem to have been quite active with new products lately, so I thought perhaps they may have something in the pipeline?
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby linger63 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:10 am

Mat1972 wrote:Hi All,

Currently I use Oppo 105D and I'm really satisfied.M

That's great ........enjoy then. :D

Mat1972 wrote:but I believe that these speakers should have better company. M

Why?........if you are really satisfied just listen and save your money.

Why not at least wait a while and see how you feel a bit later on. ;)

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:20 am

Lemen wrote:
Brad Lunde wrote:The good news is that with ATC you can hear differences like crazy. The bad news is with ATC you can hear the differences like crazy.
Brad

Hello Brad,
Do you have any insider info about a possible MKII version of the ATC CDA2 please? Maybe more inputs and Bluetooth.
ATC seem to have been quite active with new products lately, so I thought perhaps they may have something in the pipeline?

I would say that yes there needs to be a new CDA2 and a new SIA CD. I have asked for this as have others. But I really do not know when this will come so I wait like you!
I am still dealing with the P2 introduction in pro and hi fi, the active 19As and 40As. Still trying to get reviews and get dealers to hear them.

With active speakers here in the US, people are very slow to adopt "new" ideas.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Lemen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:37 am

Brad Lunde wrote:I would say that yes there needs to be a new CDA2 and a new SIA CD. I have asked for this as have others. But I really do not know when this will come so I wait like you!

Well, I can only ask that you (and others) keep asking :-)
I, for one, would buy a CDA2 pretty swiftly if it was brought up to date with bluetooth, usb, more inputs etc.
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby Matt70 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi,

I'd like to join to this topic.

I've just bought the same speakers (40A) and consider Combo DAC/Pre (Prismsound Callia, Benchmark, Mytek, Oppo Sonica etc.) or separate Preamp and DAC. Could you please share your experience ?

Best regards,
Matt

Postby Philistine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Mat1972 wrote:Hi All,

I've ordered SCM 40A and I'm thinking now about appropriate pre or dac or dac including Preamp and CD. Currently I use Oppo 105D and I'm really satisfied, but I believe that these speakers should have better company. Could you please share with me your equipment ? Additionally what kind of XLR and power cable you use ?
Some times ago I've pleasure to hear Hovland HP200p, great Preamp. However, I don't know how would cooperate with activ speakers, becuse impedance output is 2.5kOhm.

Thanks in advance for share your experience,
M

Matt,

I have 100ASL Anniversaries with an SCA2 Preamp. I make my own interconnects using good quality cables and connectors from well know and reputable manufacturers.

I have recently purchased a Chord Dave which is a very good DAC and works well with the Anniversaries. I have used it with its balanced outputs directly into the Anniversaries and also via the SCA2 and I can hear no difference between the two cases. I use it normally via the SCA 2 for convenience.

Hope this is helpful.

Postby linger63 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:45 am

Recently added a used Benchmark DAC2 to my OPPO 105 for feeding my SCM 70ASL's directly.

Definitely a worthy upgrade but at full retail it would have been a tougher decision regarding "bang for buck"

Postby Matt70 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks Gents. I wonder if really good Preamp and separate DAC wil be better than good DAC/PRE which is obiously cheaper solution. However, in terms only in sonic aspect what approach wilk be better in your opinion ?

Postby MevDinc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 pm

Matt70 wrote:Thanks Gents. I wonder if really good Preamp and separate DAC wil be better than good DAC/PRE which is obiously cheaper solution. However, in terms only in sonic aspect what approach wilk be better in your opinion ?

TBH, this is a very subjective matter as most people swear by separates but my experience is that less is more!
Especially if you're lucky enough to get a decent DAC with a good volume control (one with a good analog controller is much better).

For a long time, I used a Zodiac Gold DAC with a special power supply and enjoyed it very much for a long time.

I recently bought Lindemann Musicbook DSD 20, which has an excellent analog volume with DSD 256 capability both native and hardware up-sampling. You also get a network player with streaming of TIDAL too. It's a tiny box of tricks with great sound!
It does sound really good and works very well with my ATC system.

I'd suggest you have a good look around for a decent DAC with a decent volume control and you should be OK.

My 2 cents of course :)

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Joe951 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:09 pm

I've got the Benchmark DAC1 and DAC2. One thing I've noticed with both of them in multiple systems is that they do not do well if you run them directly to an amplifier and a subwoofer. I've tried this with both of them. I ran the balanced out to a power amp and the RCA out to a sub and in every case this resulted in very poor bass. I also have a Bryston BP25 preamp and if I run the benchmark to it and run the amp and sub off of the preamp balanced and RCA outs the results are great. The benchmarks just don't have the power.

Next

Return to Hi-Fi