ATC SCM 19 v2 biwire or singlewire

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

ATC SCM 19 v2 biwire or singlewire

Postby Simna » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:58 am

Hej

Do you biwire or singlewire your SCM19 v2?

I have them singlewired today but I'm gonna upgrade my speakercables (to Supra XL Annorum, i think) and can choose between single- and biwire.

Re: ATC SCM 19 v2 biwire or singlewire

Postby AlbigAl » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi there

imho biwiring doesnt make much sence except for your wallet ;)

Bi amping the 19 (or any passive atc) will !! The woofers are very powerhungry and you should hear the difference when a heavy amp is connected to the bass.
A stable amp from 100watts and up can make them sing.

cheers!

Postby linger63 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 am

AlbigAl wrote:Hi there

Bi amping the 19 (or any passive atc) will !! The woofers are very powerhungry and you should hear the difference when a heavy amp is connected to the bass.

cheers!

If you are going to do all that then you may as well have bought actives which would achieve higher SQ for a similar price!!!!
Never too late BTW...............speaker cables???? :roll: ;)

Postby Dogill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:53 am

cheers!

Not true, ATC recommend biwiring as an alternative to active, as it also reduces intermodulation distortion
Ripnas SSD, Weiss MAN301 + DAC-B, ATC100SE

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:20 pm

I think AlbigAl is right - I can't imagine ATC recommending bi-wiring to reduce IMD, I can imagine them recommending bi-amping (as an alternative to active, if you have bought passive amp/speakers already).

Postby AlbigAl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 pm

linger63 wrote:

cheers!

If you are going to do all that then you may as well have bought actives which would achieve higher SQ for a similar price!!!!

sure, you are right about the actives being the ultimate form of speakerbuilding, but i have to disagree about the price...the atc actives are pretty expensive :cry:
nowadays there are many very good poweramps with a small pricetag (look into the professional market ) What remains with biamping is the passive crossover, but there again you could buy some very affordable active crossovers (digital or analogue). speaker cables???? :roll: ;) :D i think we agree

Postby linger63 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:35 am

AlbigAl wrote:
linger63 wrote:

cheers!

sure, you are right about the actives being the ultimate form of speakerbuilding, but i have to disagree about the price...the atc actives are pretty expensive :cry:
nowadays there are many very good poweramps with a small pricetag (look into the professional market ) What remains with biamping is the passive crossover, but there again you could buy some very affordable active crossovers (digital or analogue). speaker cables???? :roll: ;) :D i think we agree

Well I still personally think that passives........ plus 2 quality power amps........plus decent speaker cable (s)........plus good active crossovers will have a TOTAL cost similar to the equivalent actives and STILL be without ALL the benefits including individually driver matched Class A amplifiers for example.

But...........that's just my opinion!!! :) ............and ATC's

BTW........who says you have to buy new anyway!!!

Nothing too hard about selling existing gear to help finance the move to new or used actives..........that's exactly what I did..........and have NEVER looked back.

IMHO............Passive ATC speakers are for gearophiles...................and Active ATC speakers are for audiophiles.

The gearophile is never truly happy and needs to have the option of chopping and changing everything as they enjoy the tinkering at least as much as the SQ.

The audiophile hears the magic of actives and is simply contented by listening to them sing.............they are such a beautifully complete package that offer a more naturally real experience.............. the 50 ASL's and above are true "endgame" solutions in my book.

But obviously your own ears will make the best judge for you.

Postby Zoom1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I called ATC when i first got my SCM19's and they said to run them singlewired

Postby Simna » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you Zoom1 that answers my question.

If you choose active ATC speakers you'll never have the chance to experience the magic combination of EL84 tubes together with ATC. Yes, I know that 2x35w, as in my case, isn't much, but in my 4x4,5m room it's enough for me (and my neighbors).

Postby linger63 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 am

Simna wrote:Thank you Zoom1 that answers my question.

If you choose active ATC speakers you'll never have the chance to experience the magic combination of EL84 tubes together with ATC. Yes, I know that 2x35w, as in my case, isn't much, but in my 4x4,5m room it's enough for me (and my neighbors).

Of course you can.

Just run a tube pre with actives and you can have even MORE magic.

On a pure SQ basis........and all things being equal.......I simply cannot imagine a single scenario where passives would be a better way to go.
IME and IMHO.

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:53 am

I heard Linkwitz Orion actives using valve power amps - great!

Return to Hi-Fi