SCM 19A - Min Room Size

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 pm
Location: Peak District, UK

SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby Pedro2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Currently own a pair of SCM11s and am considering going active. Question is, are the 19As too big for my room? Room is 4m x 3m. Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Posts: 6434
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby MattSPL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Pedro2 wrote:Currently own a pair of SCM11s and am considering going active. Question is, are the 19As too big for my room? Room is 4m x 3m. Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated.


I think you will be fine. I used scm19's and later scm50asl's in my 4x4.5m room. ATC's are more forgiving of room size and placement than most Hifi speakers that are often ported designs.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

User avatar
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby studioman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:19 pm

I had SCM12s with home made subwoofers containing SB75-234 bass units.
Now I have SCM150 size cabinets.
Same room.
Just louder. Oh, and better, more powerful, more dynamic, more detail, more real.

PS
6.5m x 3.6m, since you ask.
Size isn't everything. It just helps.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 pm
Location: Peak District, UK

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby Pedro2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks guys.

One more question. It's about the stated width of the 19a. This is given as 370mm in the specs and I need to know if this is the overall width of the plinth (which has stabilising feet that stick out on the pictures). I'm hoping it isn't the width of the body of the speaker; if it is, it's too big for me!

(Just remeasured my room and it 3.9m x 4.0m)

User avatar
Posts: 6434
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby MattSPL » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 am

Pedro2 wrote:Thanks guys.

One more question. It's about the stated width of the 19a. This is given as 370mm in the specs and I need to know if this is the overall width of the plinth (which has stabilising feet that stick out on the pictures). I'm hoping it isn't the width of the body of the speaker; if it is, it's too big for me!

(Just remeasured my room and it 3.9m x 4.0m)


That must be the total width including plinth. I think the 19's are maybe 200mm or slightly more in width.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

User avatar
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby studioman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:24 am

Matt is correct. The stated width includes the plinth & feet.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Online
User avatar
Posts: 5277
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby Musicraft » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Pedro2

I'll measure our SCM19A's later on today and let you guys know.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Musicraft is Derby's foremost dealer for the finest specialist Hi-Fi, Home Cinema & Multimedia components/systems. So, if you would like to know more about how our products can enrich your life, then please visit us or contact Rick.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 5277
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby Musicraft » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Pedro2

I've measured the SCM19A's at -

Front 230mm

Middle (widest part of the cabinet) 265mm

Rear 175mm

Depth 300mm

Plinth 370mm

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Musicraft is Derby's foremost dealer for the finest specialist Hi-Fi, Home Cinema & Multimedia components/systems. So, if you would like to know more about how our products can enrich your life, then please visit us or contact Rick.

Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 pm
Location: Peak District, UK

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby Pedro2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks guys,

20 cm is more like it! (width dimension). I had visions of a small wardrobe with the quoted 370mm! I will soon begin the audition journey. I'm going to listen to actives from AVI, Acoustic Energy and then the SCM19a. The others are smaller and much cheaper. However, I'm most looking forward to hearing the ATCs.

User avatar
Posts: 6434
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: SCM 19A - Min Room Size

Postby MattSPL » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Pedro2 wrote:Thanks guys,

20 cm is more like it! (width dimension). I had visions of a small wardrobe with the quoted 370mm! I will soon begin the audition journey. I'm going to listen to actives from AVI, Acoustic Energy and then the SCM19a. The others are smaller and much cheaper. However, I'm most looking forward to hearing the ATCs.


Keep us posted on your audition findings please :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Return to Hi-Fi

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest