Trying to decide on pre/power for ATC 19 passive

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Trying to decide on pre/power for ATC 19 passive

Postby HongKong99 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi all,
My first post. I introduced myself in the welcome section. I am looking to spend about US$4,000 on a decent power amp, and a modest valve pre amp, that would be upgraded later. My room size is 22 feet long and 10 feet across, but due to doors etc, the speakers fire across to the listening position, so about 6 and half feet from listening position in an equilateral triangle.

The ATC 19 do seem to lack bass at lower volumes, and, as I have to keep the volume under 80 decibels, due to flat neighbours, I am looking for some bass slam with the power amp. I am considering Plinius P10, for about US$3,000 new, which I heard gives slam but is a bit pronounced in the treble. Or Hegel P20 for about US$3,500.

Both would leave me just enough for a Schiit Freya pre amp, which is balanced active JFET buffer / passive, with tube gain modes, which should do the job for a year at least.

I would usually go secondhand route, but HK has limited offerings and shipping power amps via FedEx from other markets gets pricey.
I will of course try before I buy, so I'm just trying to get a demo list together.

Sorry for the length. Nice to meet you all!
Any advice?
Last edited by HongKong99 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audio: ATC 19 passive, Rega Brio-R (looking to upgrade), Schiit modi multibit, Schiit jotunheim, Sennheiser 650, Etymotic ER4XR

Re: Trying to decide on pre/power for ATC 19 passive

Postby Brad Lunde » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 pm

HI HongKong99
ATC P1 or P2 power amp would be ideal. I don't thin the 19s lack low end at any volume. Fletcher Munson curves would make it seem like the bass was rolled off, but that's your ear. Only way around that is a loudness button on preamp, or some EQ applied at lowest level.

Brad

HongKong99 wrote:Hi all,
My first post. I introduced myself in the welcome section. I am looking to spend about US$4,000 a decent power amp, and a modest valve pre amp, that would be upgraded later. My room size is 22 feet long and 10 feet across, but due to doors etc, the speakers fire across to the listening position, so about 6 and half feet from listening position in an equilateral triangle.

The ATC 19 do seem to lack bass at lower volumes, and, as I have to keep the volume under 80 decibels, due to flat neighbours, I am looking for some bass slam with the power amp. I am considering Plinius P10, for about US$3,000 new, which I heard gives slam but is a bit pronounced in the treble. Or Hegel P20 for about US$3,500.

Both would leave me just enough for a Schiit Freya pre amp, which is balanced active JFET buffer / passive, with tube gain modes, which should do the job for a year at least.
Sorry for the length. Nice to meet you all!
Any advice?
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby HongKong99 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Brad,
I heard the ATC P1, and was impressed. But had to turn the volume up to about 1 o'clock to get the bass sound that I wanted. I am wondering if other power amps might have more kick in the lower end, but allow me to play at lower volume. But I am new to ATC, so you might be right about my ears need settling, especially coming off my previous speakers, monitor audios.

Thanks
Audio: ATC 19 passive, Rega Brio-R (looking to upgrade), Schiit modi multibit, Schiit jotunheim, Sennheiser 650, Etymotic ER4XR

Postby Brad Lunde » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:27 am

HongKong99 wrote:Thanks for the reply Brad,
I heard the ATC P1, and was impressed. But had to turn the volume up to about 1 o'clock to get the bass sound that I wanted. I am wondering if other power amps might have more kick in the lower end, but allow me to play at lower volume. But I am new to ATC, so you might be right about my ears need settling, especially coming off my previous speakers, monitor audios.

Thanks

Yes, that is a curve adjustment thing- you are used to more low end. So you re actually asking for EQ (boost) not a different amp. If you found one that had more bass in it, it would be boosted bass, not more accurate.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby darrenyeats » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:03 pm

You could try moving the speakers back nearer to the wall behind them - this is not likely to be a problem acoustically (in contrast, treatment is needed if near side walls).

Postby Pedro2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 am

The Nord Hypex power amps assembled and sold from the UK are amazing value. Very powerful and truthfully honest/revealing. They will easily drive your 19s. They will not, however, boost bass; just reveal what's there already.

Not sure about shipping costs to HK but you could drop Colin an email at Nord (Nordacoustics.co.uk). I know that he's shipping many of his amps to the US where many are replacing their type A/AB behemoths for his type D offerings. I use one with a pair of SCM11s and they sound tremendous!

Return to Hi-Fi