Power Cord ideas for ATC SCM19A

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Power Cord ideas for ATC SCM19A

Postby highstream » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:12 am

What power cords have folks found works well sonically with the SCM19AT? Not just directly but elsewhere in the system. Something a little on the warm side. Associated components are PS Audio Directstream dac and Oppo 203, with a HiDiamond 2 power distributor ("conditioner") at the beginning of the chain. I'm in the States, so brands available here to audition are first choice, but open to suggestions from anywhere. Thanks,

Re: Power Cord ideas for ATC SCM19A

Postby MevDinc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:51 am

I have been using DH Labs power cables with my system with very good results.
Great value for money!

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/power.html

I'm using Red Wave with my ATC P6 Amp and Silver Plus with my DAC.

Good luck.

Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:05 pm

The stock cable should be fine IMO but here some other thoughts on power: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... tcount=126.

Postby Nopiano » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 pm

I can imagine that a well shielded cable might prevent unwanted signals entering the amplifier, but I struggle to think any mains cable could change the tonal balance to make it warmer.

Have you tried different speaker placements and less reflective furnishings? In particular moving the speakers closer to the wall behind them. These will more likely yield the sound you seek.

Postby highstream » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am

Nopiano, If you were sitting here (or in my living room) and I switched three power cords, one audiophile brand I have here to another, or even just one cord in the mains to conditioner position, you would likely immediately notice the difference in warmth (and fullness, presence, clarity).

Postby Alexk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 am

With the more expensive one presumably being the superior? :roll:

The auditory system is incredibly easy to manipulate if other senses or input are involved - as an engineer who makes a living out of relying on my ears I have no shame in admitting that...

Postby highstream » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 am

Alexk wrote:With the more expensive one presumably being the superior? :roll:

The auditory system is incredibly easy to manipulate if other senses or input are involved - as an engineer who makes a living out of relying on my ears I have no shame in admitting that...

Please, this thread is not for you.

Postby MevDinc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:30 pm

A lot of things are very subjective and probably make very little difference to the sound but the sum of carefully selected components could make a substantial difference.
I definitely don't have the ears to hear minute changes in the sound but I can 100% confirm that any improvements on the electrical chain does make a big difference.
I believe good power cords/conditioners get rid of a lot of noise which helps the lower registers the most; cleaner and bigger bass.

I used to connect my previous Zodiac Gold DAC to battery power supply and it made a massive difference, I always ended up turning the volume up more to enjoy the extra clean and full bass! :)

I agree some of the cables and other components are ridiculously expensive but if you shop around carefully there are some really decent cables which are very good value for money.

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby linger63 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:20 pm

MevDinc wrote:A lot of things are very subjective and probably make very little difference to the sound but the sum of carefully selected components could make a substantial difference.
I definitely don't have the ears to hear minute changes in the sound but I can 100% confirm that any improvements on the electrical chain does make a big difference.
I believe good power cords/conditioners get rid of a lot of noise which helps the lower registers the most; cleaner and bigger bass.

I used to connect my previous Zodiac Gold DAC to battery power supply and it made a massive difference, I always ended up turning the volume up more to enjoy the extra clean and full bass! :)

I agree some of the cables and other components are ridiculously expensive but if you shop around carefully there are some really decent cables which are very good value for money.

Best.
Mev

+1 Agreed 100%...........Great Post

Love what my PS Audio conditioners, DIY Belden 83803 AC cables and CARDAS Clear I/C's do for my systems performance.

Postby Brad Lunde » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:55 pm

I think when it comes to cable and power in a hi fi vs pro perspective, pros do not deny that there is difference, but it is extremely difficult to tell what is "better"- only what is different. It is a completely subjective judgement. In addition, there are many other quite significant issues that affect the sonics of a system, such as room acoustics, that appear to missing as a priority to many high end cable sellers and users. So pros often look upon this fixation on cables as a shadow argument; first work on room placement of speakers, bass trapping, first reflection absorption, and when you have that right, THEN move on to the smaller details. While hi fi fans look upon pros ignoring cables as an obvious lack of sonic "understanding". Its an interesting conflict in perspective.

I have encountered some pros in the business not wanting to even try cables, which is a shame. There are locations, such as mic to preamp and converter to active speaker, where it can make a huge difference. I have gone into some major studios and demo'd cable for top level mix engineers and really surprised them. But many know that the processes a record goes though that are beyond their control far outweigh the benefits of a better mic cable. There are simply too many steps in the process to see a big improvement of one cable. Rewiring all the miles of cable in a commercial studio is impractical, it would cost hundreds of thousand of dollars! Artists book rooms for a lot of reasons, sonics not always being the top reason (the landmark sonics of Beach Boys Pet Sounds was recorded at East West is one odd sounding room with miles of basic cable). A better engineer could be WAY more important to the recording quality than a mic cable. At the same time, some of the best of the high resolution engineers, who control the entire process, fuss over these details endlessly. Michael Bishop is a good example of that.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby xtraktz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:01 am

Harmonix Studio Master X-DC 350 Original (black) or X-DC 350M2R Improved (yellow-black) version will be good! ;)

Return to Hi-Fi