Power Cord ideas for ATC SCM19A

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Re: Power Cord ideas for ATC SCM19A

Postby Nopiano » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm

MattSPL wrote:
Nopiano wrote:
MattSPL wrote:A lot of aftermarket mains cables use the standard cable geometry, but may use higher quality materials and/or shielding.
Some manufacturers cables use unique arrangements of conductors and shielding.
I've read that simply twisting or braiding conductors together can reduce electrical noise/interference.

The effect some of these after market power cords can have on a system is that they reduce noise. I don't think a power cord effecting a systems sound is that crazy when you look at it this way, especially on digital components which seem to be very sensitive to mains quality, which is why we see linear power supply or battery supply upgrades to components with SMPS's.

Cheers
Matt

But Matt, the subject was ATC speakers, not digital components!

I think you'll find my post was about aftermarket power cords and cable geometry, only mentioning digital components at the end.

Indeed, but I don't think geometry explains any perceived tonal changes, even if electrical noise is reduced.
How does reduced electrical noise - accepting that might be the case - change the sound from a pair of ATC active speakers? I trust ATC to design their amplifiers to minimise any such effects.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:56 pm

We're not talking tonal changes, just things like greater perceived detail, which, from what I can gather is brought by the reduced noise in the system.
For example, listening to some music where you might hear a bass tone, getting a quieter background in the system and listening again actually makes 2 tones or notes audible where they were merged into 1 previously.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Nopiano » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:27 am

Matt, the OP wanted something 'on the warm side'. That is a tonal change.

I guess what I'm saying is that a different mains cable cannot deliver that!

Postby MattSPL » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes, the mains cable won't change the tone to the warmer side, but it may reduce high frequency noise which can give the effect of being less bright.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Previous

Return to Hi-Fi