ATC SCA2 AV selector advice required please

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

ATC SCA2 AV selector advice required please

Postby studioman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:19 pm

The SCA2 has an AV position.
Is this just like all the other line level inputs?
Or does it, like some other stereo preamps (eg AUdio Research, Naim), allow an AV preamp's front channel outputs to be connected through it, so that the volume is decided by the AV preamp? ie on the AV setting the signal bypasses the ATC line stage?
This does not appear to be covered in the manual.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Re: ATC SCA2 AV selector advice required please

Postby linger63 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm

studioman wrote:The SCA2 has an AV position.
Or does it, like some other stereo preamps (eg AUdio Research, Naim), allow an AV preamp's front channel outputs to be connected through it, so that the volume is decided by the AV preamp? ie on the AV setting the signal bypasses the ATC line stage?

AV (AV/TV) is the same as the other line level inputs.

An AV preamp CAN be connected through it...............provided volume setting on SCA2 is set to "0dB" for unity gain.

See below excerpt from page 8 of User Manual (which should also relate to SCA2).........

"Unity gain through the CA2 from any of the line level inputs is indicated by the ‘0dB’ print on the front panel,
beside the volume control.
This is the volume position the preamp should be set to for ‘Home Cinema Bypass’ so the CA2 has no influence on signal level when used within a cinema surround system."

Postby studioman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:33 pm

linger63 wrote:

An AV preamp CAN be connected through it...............provided volume setting on SCA2 is set to "0dB" for unity gain.

See below excerpt from page 8 of User Manual (which should also relate to SCA2).........

"Unity gain through the CA2 from any of the line level inputs is indicated by the ‘0dB’ print on the front panel,
This is the volume position the preamp should be set to for ‘Home Cinema Bypass’ so the CA2 has no influence on signal level when used within a cinema surround system."

Thanks for that. Is that the NEW CA2 you're talking about or the old one? Neither the old CA2 nor my SCA2 have any '0dB' mark on them as far as I know...
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby linger63 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:53 am

studioman wrote:
linger63 wrote:

Thanks for that. Is that the NEW CA2 you're talking about or the old one? Neither the old CA2 nor my SCA2 have any '0dB' mark on them as far as I know...

You are right..............a bit weird and confusing!!!
I guess you will need to contact ATC to explain it.

Return to Hi-Fi