Power Inspired Ac Regenerator

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Power Inspired Ac Regenerator

Postby MattSPL » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 pm

I ordered a power inspired AG500 on Friday and it arrived today.
http://www.powerinspired.com/brochures/BR-UPS-AG.pdf

Has anybody else any experience with Power Inspired or other mains regeneration?

Initial impressions are very positive. I'm running my Dac, Eq, Sky box, Tv and Bluray off this and I'm only using 44% of its capacity.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Re: Power Inspired Ac Regenerator

Postby MevDinc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Matt,

Sounds good :)

What's the power capacity, 500W?
Presumably, they have bigger capacity ones so they can be used active speakers as well.

What's the real difference between conditioner and regenerator? Some people claim conditioners adversely effect the dynamics. Maybe regenerators don't have this shortcoming?

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 pm

MevDinc wrote:Hi Matt,

Sounds good :)

What's the power capacity, 500W?
Presumably, they have bigger capacity ones so they can be used active speakers as well.

What's the real difference between conditioner and regenerator? Some people claim conditioners adversely effect the dynamics. Maybe regenerators don't have this shortcoming?

Best.
Mev

Hi Mev,

Yes it's 500W. They also do a 1500W version, but that requires an external unit for UPS batteries, whereas the 500W has a UPS and batteries built in. You can also add external batteries to the 500 for greater capacity.
I came across these originally while researching about UPS units. When we get a power cut, my Dac goes into standby when the power returns and my speakers and sub amp turn back on and it causes a massive thud through the speakers and sub. I wanted a UPS to eliminate this problem and then found the Power Inspired units.

As far as I know, a mains filter tries to clean the mains which sometimes can rob the sound of dynamics.
A power regenerator converts the Ac to Dc and then back to a pure sinewave of Ac power. I guess this is the closest to battery power possible.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

I have a conditioner, Matt & Mev. It is a 4 amp unit, i.e. 1kW. Inside is just a massive transformer and a large cap, with one small resistor. It isolates the mains from whatever is plugged into it. And it buzzes like buggery, although I am gradually tightening up bolts and damping the chassis and managing to reduce this somewhat. Until I have it physically silent, I'm not going to plug anything into it. I imagine that some of the comments about dynamics being reduced may well be with smaller units which can't respond quickly enough to equipment calling for more current. That's why I'm hoping mine will not suffer from this problem. I am also going to look at increasing the capacitance of the unit.
Your regenerator, Matt, sounds a bit like a switched mode power supply. It probably has the same amount and a similar type of circuitry in it in it, doing the same kind of thing as a switched mode power supply, albeit at 230/240v. It'll be interesting to see how we get on with these....
Cheers, David
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am

Hi David

Is yours a balanced mains transformer?
You could try and remove the metal bolt holding the transformer in place and sitting the transformer on something inside the chassi.

I think your right about the smps inside my power regenerator.

Cheers
Matt

Postby studioman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Matt
No mine's not balanced (as far as I know....)
Just a bloody big tranny. 230v > 230v

I am considering changing the cap for some bigger value ones and remounting the transformer. Maybe a few big nylon nuts & bolts and rubber pads...Must keep earthing continuity though...
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am

Hi David,

Would it be possible to mount the transformer in an adjacent room?
Otherwise, the nylon nut and bolt and rubber mat should definitely help.

Cheers
Matt

Postby studioman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 pm

No Matt, can't put it in a nearby room....so quietening it is my main goal at present. It may not be achievable,but I'll try!

Postby MattSPL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 pm

studioman wrote:No Matt, can't put it in a nearby room....so quietening it is my main goal at present. It may not be achievable,but I'll try!

Ok, hopefully it works out :)

Cheers
Matt

Return to Hi-Fi