Speaker help - new SCM11's or used SCM19's

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Speaker help - new SCM11's or used SCM19's

Postby Crandell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi,

I need some guidance on speaker choice. I have the opportunity to buy a brand new pair of SCM11's or used (6 months) 19s. Because they are used, it puts the 19s within my budget. The challenge is that I will only have the opportunity to listen to the 11's when they arrive at the store. With me not having the opportunity to audition the 19s, I am looking for some help deciding since there is always a risk with shipping, no warranty...Are the 19s that big of a step to warrant the used purchase and shipping? I am trying to buy the speaker that won't leave me wanting to upgrade any time soon. Hoping others have experience with both speakers and can provide some thoughts. Thanks for the guidance.

Re: Speaker help - new SCM11's or used SCM19's

Postby linger63 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:55 am

If the used SCM 19's come with the new ATC tweeter then they would DEFINITELY be my choice.

Much better mid/bass driver with SL tech.

Of course as I haven't heard either model this is just my 2c opinion............ ;)

As BOTH models you mention have 8 ohm impedance.........but are only 85db sensitive.......you would want to be sure your amp is up to driving them properly.

And you would need to allow some extra funds for good stands.

As the 19's are only 6 months old maybe you could ask ATC about potential Warranty transfer.

Postby Crandell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for response! I checked the ATC FAQ's section after reading your post and it appears the warranty is on the product not on the customer so that is helpful info.

I will be driving them with a Moon 340i integrated (100 wpc for 8 ohms). I am confident it will do a good job.

I am definitely leaning toward the 19s due to the upgraded mid driver and larger cabinet. Most of my listening will come from tidal's CD quality streaming or MQA material through a Moon 280D DAC. I thought I read the 19s are less forgiving on recording quality. Can anyone confirm and provide direction on whether the 11s or 19s would be a better choice, knowing most listening will be CD quality?

Thanks.

Postby MevDinc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 pm

In my experience all ATCs sound very similar and so they should, consistency and accuracy across the range is something ATC is very good at maintaining, and I believe that's the reason why a lot of mixing and mastering engineers rely on ATCs.

However, as you go up the ladder the sound becomes more effortless, the bigger the speakers the bigger the sound, more bass, more dynamics etc., you get more of everything.

In short, I'd go for the 19s. :)

Good luck.
Last edited by MevDinc on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Crandell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks for the help. The 19s are on the way! Can't wait to get them setup.

Postby linger63 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 am

Crandell wrote:Thanks for the help. The 19s are on the way! Can't wait to get them setup.

Congrats... 8-)

You should be very happy..... :D

Postby saureign » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Congrats!
I had both. While 11 is somewhat easy to drive, the 19 is much more demanding on amplifier. If you have a larger room (area > 12 square meters) and want some SPL, you'll need a bigger amplifier.
For instance, some years ago I had Moon i-7 integrated amplifier driving Spendor SP100R in 18 sqm, and the amp was barely up to task. And there were wealthier 150w.
Now, I have scm10se (after having scm20sl) driven by ATC P2, in 14 sq meters room. Almost happy. Maybe, in the future, I will add 2 subwoofers, but not for the missing down notes (because scm10se is a marvel, and you actually hear 50hz notes, a full cello rendering), but for a more solid sense of the sound. I've heard a friend' scm20SL with a subwoofer, and it counted - the sound was fuller, with greater composure.
ATC CDA2 / Van den Hul Mainsstream & The Mountain / ATC SCM40A (soon to be here...)

Return to Hi-Fi