New Ugg boots on my SCA2

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

New Ugg boots on my SCA2

Postby studioman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30 pm

New Ugg boots on my SCA2 ready for the colder weather.
A sandwich of stainless steel and Poron, which is a highly effective vibration absorbing material. (Linn use it wrapped around the Swiss motor in their Radikal DC motor kit.)
Does seem to make an identifiable improvement...

They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Re: New Ugg boots on my SCA2

Postby MattSPL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Very nice :D
Are they DIY?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 am

MattSPL wrote:Very nice :D
Are they DIY?

Yes Matt, I designed them.
As you know, I do a lot of designing in titanium, stainless steel and composite materials.
I use 3 manufacturers around the country to do CNC work (lathe turning etc), laser cutting and other types of fabrication.
Poron is incredible stuff for vibration absorption.

So in the design of these feet, the 2 stainless steel elements are separated by a Poron ring, and there is a second Poron ring on the base of each foot.
The only part that is physically bolted to the SCA2 is the upper stainless element. The rest is 'floating'.
No ball bearings, pointy cones or magic. Just solid mass and functional isolation.

The way ATC designs, whether it is their speakers or their electronics, is truly world class.

The SCA2 is so well thought-out, but there are sometimes little details which can potentially be improved upon.
I have extra EMI/RFI shielding in mine, plus vibration reducing pads in certain locations.

And of course, following your advice, which worked well with my SCM150s, the fuse itself is a HiFi Tuning fuse of the correct type and value.
All is easily reversible, but although it sounded amazing when I bought it, the SCA2 sounds 'amazing plus a few percent' now....

Here's a closer view of those feet...

Cheers, David

Last edited by studioman on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Great work David :)
You need to get these on the market!

The Sca2 is a gorgeous piece of equipment.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:30 pm

MattSPL wrote:Great work David :)
You need to get these on the market!

The Sca2 is a gorgeous piece of equipment.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks, Matt!

Return to Hi-Fi