Speaker help - SCM19A or SCM40A

ATC & other makes of Hi-Fi equipment

Speaker help - SCM19A or SCM40A

Postby a.diabelli » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi everybody,

First of all, I would thank you all for the useful informations I found on this forum, been reading it for years but finally decided to ask for help.
Also apologies for my poor english, it's not my native language (this is the main reason I never posted...).

At last, the ATC HiFi line is been distribuited in a better way in my country (Italy), so I can listen to the passive version of SCM19 and SCM40 models without all the problems of the past.

My intention is to purchase the corrisponding active version, so we can consider it a sort of "half-the-way" blind purchase.
I'm sure that if I enjoy the passive model the active one can only be better.

I need some guidance on loudspeakers choice.
My listening room is quite small, almost square (4 mt. x 4,5 mt.) and the listening position is the classic equilateral triangle of 1,80 mt.

The loudspeakers should be placed to 60 cm. from the back wall.
No dedicated acoustic treatment, only forniture.

In this scenario is safier to stay with 19A or I can "risk" the bigger 40A?
I would have chosen the SCM19A (to avoid potential bass problems) but the cabinets have the same dimensions (according to ATC website) and I'm intrigued by the idea of having a three way system.
Most of the listening will be in evening hours so at low volume, and I've read that the last 40A works well also in this way.

I'd like to know your opinions...

Thanks!
Marco

Re: Speaker help - SCM19A or SCM40A

Postby AndyU » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm

I’d go for the 40As no question. The ATC midrange unit is one the wonders of hi-fi. I heard some at funkyjunk in Milano.

Postby a.diabelli » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

AndyU wrote:I’d go for the 40As no question. The ATC midrange unit is one the wonders of hi-fi. I heard some at funkyjunk in Milano.

Hi Andy,
I live in Milano, real close to funkyjunk.

It seems that they have no HiFi line models for demo (only the Pro lineup...)
I'll try to ask them again.

Can someone confirm me that the dimensions of the two models are the same?

Postby saureign » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm

here
http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loud ... es/scm19a/
http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loud ... es/scm40a/

it says that the boxes have the same dimensions, 19A beeing lighter with 5 kilos.
Taking into considerations the measurements of your listening room, I would say that even 50ASL fits.
But, if it's about the only two models, personally I would go for 19A, due to the SL mid-bass driver.
Exposure 3010s / QED Signature 40 / ATC CA2 mk2 / Van den Hul [The Dwarf, Mainsstream, Mainsserver & The Mountain] / ATC SCM50ASL
past: CDA2 mk2 / CDA2 / P1 / P2 / scm11 / scm19 / scm20 / scm10se / scm40A

Postby darrenyeats » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Personally, I'd bet on the 40A. But the 19A look to be a great speaker too.

With 50 actives you get SL bass, mid and tweeter, but obviously it costs mucho more than the 40A.

Postby studio-hifi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm

a.diabelli wrote:

Hi Marco,

The outer dimensions are the same, but the box of the SCM19A is barred to form 19 liters of the mid/bass driver.
This is the same as in the Classic and Tower series.

Regards
Tim
Studio HI-FI | Audio Video Studio Ltd.
10 Paskal Todorov Str. | Sofia 1618 | Bulgaria | Mob. +359 887 702 703
http://www.studio-hifi.com | info@studio-hifi.com
http://www.facebook.com/studioHIFIshowroom

Postby AndyU » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 pm

a.diabelli wrote:
AndyU wrote:I’d go for the 40As no question. The ATC midrange unit is one the wonders of hi-fi. I heard some at funkyjunk in Milano.

Hi Andy,
I live in Milano, real close to funkyjunk.

It seems that they have no HiFi line models for demo (only the Pro lineup...)
I'll try to ask them again.

Pretty sure they had some 40s or 40As when I went there.. I got my SCM 50ASLTs through them. Bad demonstration facilities though. If they only have pro models, the SCM25As have a similar driver set, but a smaller cabinet.

Postby kifbe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 am

Marco, my listening room is not much larger than yours and I am using the 40As, which are amazing speakers. They are half the price of the 50As, yet deliver a sound which is very close. Trust me, you will not be disappointed if you opt to buy the 40As.

Postby a.diabelli » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi,

Thank you all for the feedback.

darrenyeats wrote:Personally, I'd bet on the 40A. But the 19A look to be a great speaker too.

With 50 actives you get SL bass, mid and tweeter, but obviously it costs mucho more than the 40A.

I'm sure the 50A are wonderful speakers but are out of my possibilities...

Next Saturday I will arrange a shootout between the two passive versions at the shop.

In the end I will place an order for one of the two active models.
The price difference not so high and the identical dimensions put them on the same level IMHO.

I will try to compare them as close as possible to my scenario (1.80 m apart and moderate to low volume level)

I'll let you know the winner...

Ciao!

Postby kifbe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 pm

I will try to compare them as close as possible to my scenario (1.80 m apart and moderate to low volume level)

My experience of ATC active speakers (both 50s and 40s) is that they need to be played at moderate to high volume levels to get the best out of them. Others may disagree with me, but please bear this in mind during your audition. Obviously, a dealer audition cannot tell you how the speakers will interact with your own listening environment.

Postby AndyU » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Hope all goes well Marco, though if it is funky junk you are going to don’t expect a good demonstration. I was in Milan a few times recently at the Blue Note, for Stacey Kent, Al diMeola, Ambrose Akinmusire and John McLaughlin. Good place!

Postby a.diabelli » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 am

AndyU wrote:Hope all goes well Marco, though if it is funky junk you are going to don’t expect a good demonstration. I was in Milan a few times recently at the Blue Note, for Stacey Kent, Al diMeola, Ambrose Akinmusire and John McLaughlin. Good place!

No, it's not funkyjunk, it's a hifi shop near Milano, whom sells the entry series.
I let you know for sure which model I'll choose.

OT: The Blue Note is a great place, today, the only one in Milano where you can listen to top jazz artists. The only drawback, IMHO, is the two shows routine which force the artist to make standard exibitions. I got the chance to see some gigs at "Capolinea" and "Le Scimmie" (two historical jazz club, both closed years ago) and the atmosphere was magical!
Even if I was too young to completely appreciate it... :)

Postby simonthepieman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 pm

You may have seen my other posts

I think the 40A's are amazing.
Likely the very best value ATC as its the first speaker in the range with the mid dome
plus I think the curved cabinets do something super for soundstaging compared to the slab
faced larger systems

If you demo the passives (& like them) then order the Actives you will I am sure be amazed
at how much better they are, quite a step up , again

Enjoy the process
simon

Postby a.diabelli » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm

simonthepieman wrote:...
If you demo the passives (& like them) then order the Actives
simon

Job done.
:D
Placed an order for a pair of SCM40A, the only problem is the waiting time for the finish I choosed (cherry), ready to ship are only the black ash.

I've waited so long to buy them I think some weeks don't kill me...

Thanks you all for the help!

Postby a.diabelli » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi all,

I've paired the SCM40A with a Naim NAC-N 272 with excellent results IMHO.
The interconnect cables are entry level Van Den Hul terminated RCA - XLR.

I'm thinking about soldering a new one terminated DIN - XLR to see if I can improve the quality and I was thinking about Mogami.
Which model do you suggest?
Any other brand to look for?

Thanks!
Marco

Next

Return to Hi-Fi