Ripping & storing bluray

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Ripping & storing bluray

Postby benny39 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I have been thinking recently about doing what im doing with bluray dvd's what im doing with cd's ripping & storing losslessly...but i have no clue what would be needed to accomplish this effectively, would i need an apple tv device or some sort of streamer also i suppose HD movies would need massive amounts of storage space...a lot more than 2tb anyway i would think...anyone done this or have good knowledge about it for or against ;)

Thanks
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Re: Ripping & storing bluray

Postby Bolle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm streaming Blu-Ray's as well. Regarding ripping the discs, due to reasons you can guess I'm lacking experience in this department, but a good starting point could be this: http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamer ... amers.html

For storage I use a home-build server, which in the current configuration can house up to 13 hard disks. Alternative configurations of 15 or 20 disks are also popular. The server runs on the unRaid OS, which provides protection for loss of any single data disk through use of a parity disk.
The reasons for going for a DIY server over a pre-build one are:
*Lower cost
*Greater expandability (try getting a NAS with more than 6 disks for an acceptable price... and you'll need a lot of space with Blu-Ray rips!)
*Higher specced hardware; faster CPU and RAM
*unRaid has two features great for media servers; it aggregates folders from multiple disks so for example you see one big 6Tb 'video' folder which is actually 3 x 2 Tb disks combined, the unRaid file system is such that in case of hardware failure (ie the server itself or multiple disks) the disks can be read out with any ordinary PC/MAC, with most NAS you lose all data.
*A disadvantage of the chosen RAID solution is that writing to the server is slower than to most NAS devices, in a media server use (write once, read many) not a big issue.

For playback I would advice something like a Playon HD, Mede8er or Dune device. I would avoid AppleTV as these lock you in replay ability (only 720p content while Blu-Ray offers you nice 1080p), limited file formats etc.
My preferred payback software is actually the awesome XBMC software on a light nettop type PC, but unfortunately at this time there is somewhat of a vacuum for the best combination of XBMC hardware and software. The best hardware that can decode the HD surround formats only works with a lot of hacking of Windows running XBMC, the very popular easy and light Linux XBMC installs do not support the HD surround formats.
This situation should be resolved by the end of the year.

Regarding size, uncompressed Blu-Ray rips are usually 20 - 35 Gb in size, with a bit of compression and losing the HD surround formats it's around 10- 12 Gb.
Last edited by Bolle on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Bolle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Regarding server, if you want to go the DIY route without speccing and building a full server, there's currently (end of June) a great offer in the UK for a little pre-build HP server, I believe 140 GBP after cashback.

Add 5 x 2 Tb disks to this, use unRaid and you're in business!
http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1431514-hp-proliant-microserver-n36l-owners-thread.html

If after time you need more disks, buy a bigger server, migrate the unRaid OS (it runs of a USB stick so just plug it in the new server), put the disks in the new server (just mind the sequence, same disk on same port), and a relatively painfree expansion.
Or just start using 3 Tb disks in the HP server, it can handle it and so can unRaid in the near future!

Postby benny39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 am

Bolle thank's for the detailed info & taking the time to write it all up :) should be looking into it soon.

Cheers
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby kifbe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:49 am

Very interesting post, Benny, as I'm just embarking on the same journey, and was already using the same AV Forum's sticky for guidance. I've just ordered a Popcorn Hour A210 as a first step and am going to give MKV a trial for the rips. This whole area seems like a complete minefield after the relative simplicity of FLAC/Squeezecentre, especially since I'm not particularly fluent in computer-speak !!

Thanks to Bolle for the storage info, I use a Netgear Readynas Duo for my FLAC files, and haven't even thought about long term movie file storage yet.

Chris

Postby Bolle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am

Benny,

I just see you have a Mac Mini. I don't know what spec, but if it is a recent one that is probably good enough for HD playback. I however do not know wether the Mac Mini has a HDMI output for the HD audio formats. I know the latest ('flatter') models do. If it's an older one you can use the video out with a HDMI adaptor to get video and the 3,5 mm audio out for either digital out to a surround receiver/processor or DAC, or just plain analog stereo out to a TV or stereo amp.

But you could easily install XBMC of Plex on the Mac Mini to get a great media player, to stream from your Blu-Ray rips on another storage device/NAS.

Postby benny39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

kifbe wrote:Very interesting post, Benny, as I'm just embarking on the same journey, and was already using the same AV Forum's sticky for guidance. I've just ordered a Popcorn Hour A210 as a first step and am going to give MKV a trial for the rips. This whole area seems like a complete minefield after the relative simplicity of FLAC/Squeezecentre, especially since I'm not particularly fluent in computer-speak !!

Thanks to Bolle for the storage info, I use a Netgear Readynas Duo for my FLAC files, and haven't even thought about long term movie file storage yet.

Chris

Chris I have been thinking about this for a while now...but totally in the dark as to how it's done, a little more prepared now...thank's Bolle, heard good things about the popcorn hour, I'm no wizard with computer's either Chris so hopefully when you have some success you could enlighten me further ;)
Cheers
Benny.

Postby benny39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Bolle wrote:Benny,

I just see you have a Mac Mini. I don't know what spec, but if it is a recent one that is probably good enough for HD playback. I however do not know wether the Mac Mini has a HDMI output for the HD audio formats. I know the latest ('flatter') models do. If it's an older one you can use the video out with a HDMI adaptor to get video and the 3,5 mm audio out for either digital out to a surround receiver/processor or DAC, or just plain analog stereo out to a TV or stereo amp.

But you could easily install XBMC of Plex on the Mac Mini to get a great media player, to stream from your Blu-Ray rips on another storage device/NAS.

Bolle my mac mini is a 2010 & it doesnt have an HDMI out & I use the 3.5mm audio out with my Wireworld optical cable...but I suppose when my Zodiac Gold arrives I could buy a Wireworld USB that would free that up, so could I still use the mac mini along with something like the popcorn hour & try to build a large capacity storage device? also would the mac mini be able to support 1080p with the lack of HDMI

Thanks
Benny.

Postby Bolle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Benny,

From your post I understand you're looking at 4 alternatives?
1) use the Mac Mini as video playback device using external network storage (NAS, server)
2) use the Mac Mini as video playback device using storage on internal and attached disks (ie USB hard disks) attached to the Mac Mini
3) use a Popcorn Hour or similar as video playback device using storage on internal and attached disks (ie USB hard disks) attached to the Mac Mini
4) use a Popcorn Hour or similar as video playback device using external network storage (NAS, server)

I don't see a need to use both the Mac Mini and Popcorn Hour as (video) playback devices, these will essentially provide the same functionality?
I understand you'll continue using the Mac Mini as audio playback device, that should be no problem and should not affect the alternatives for video playback.

Regarding the Mac Mini as playback device:
the lack of HDMI out shouldn't be a problem I assume with the video stream. It should be able to handle 1080p using the (mini) DVI or displayports I believe are fitted to this year of Mac Mini. Just use an adaptor cable to HDMI.

The lack of HDMI out will limit you to 'plain' DTS or Dolby surround, not the newer HD surround formats such as DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. But not forget that the legacy surround formats you get from Blu-Ray are already much higher bitrate than on DVD (around double for DTS) so the sound quality should already be better.
The CPU (minimal 2,26 Ghz Dual Core?) on that year Mac Mini might be sufficient for 1080p playback, you should look into that a bit further.

Regarding the Mac Mini as storage device:
This should be no problem I believe for a Popcorn Hour or similar to access, probably just a question of setting the proper access rights on the Mac.
It however might be a limiting factor in storage capacity, you might ending up adding a lot of external disks to the Mac if your collection grows.
Personally I also like to have the heat and noise producing (that happens with adding a lot of disks!) server/NAS somewhere tucked away in a hallway storage.

Postby benny39 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks again Bolle :) quite jealous of your vast knowledge :mrgreen:
Cheers
Benny.

Postby kifbe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Benny

Still waiting for the Popcorn Hour A210, but thought I'd check out the manual online. Now I'm sure I clicked on the English language version, but it doesn't look like any sort of language I recognise !! This is going to be fun.

Regards

Chris

Postby kifbe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi Benny

Finally got my PCH A-210, spent about 3 hours last night trying to map the network drive in Windows 7. No luck so far - busy searching the net for advice, most of which I don't really understand !!

Chris

Postby benny39 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:01 pm

kifbe wrote:Hi Benny

Finally got my PCH A-210, spent about 3 hours last night trying to map the network drive in Windows 7. No luck so far - busy searching the net for advice, most of which I don't really understand !!

Chris

Chris do you think this could end up more hassle than it's worth :( I hope you have some luck ;) keep us posted, thanks
Benny

Postby BenL » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Chris

Sorry to hear that Chris :( That sounds exactly like I would be with something like that, which is one of the reasons I went for sonos for music streaming - if only they would bring out a media streamer. Let us know if you manage to get it sorted :)
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby kifbe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:03 am

BenL wrote:

Chris

Sorry to hear that Chris :( That sounds exactly like I would be with something like that, which is one of the reasons I went for sonos for music streaming - if only they would bring out a media streamer. Let us know if you manage to get it sorted :)

Hi Ben

Thanks for your message

I'm not really in a rush to get this working as I don't watch movies in summer. I'll just keep at it until I sort it out, and I actually quite enjoy the challenge. I think it's more a Windows 7 issue than anything else at the moments. Anyway, while the sun is shining I'll be outdoors !!

Chris

Next

Return to Computer Audio