Ripping & storing bluray

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Re: Ripping & storing bluray

Postby benny39 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Chris thanks very much for the updates & all the info that you've had to spend hours sorting through, in theory I would love to tackle this...but with over 200 bluray & many DVD box sets I can't imagine what sort of capacity in terabytes I would need :o plus I think I might have to purchase one of the latest Mac mini's as mine being a 2010 model that doesnt support HDMI & audio output through headphone jack which I use at the moment although when the Zodiac Gold arrives I am thinking of using a Wireworld starlight USB cable, I am not 100% if my Mac outputs a high enough resolution :roll: but one things for sure that any information that Bolle & yourself post on here is a massive help :) thanks again.
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby kifbe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Benny

My laptop doesn't have a Blu-ray drive, so at the moment I'm unable to rip them. For the record, the DVDs I've ripped to MKV so far have consumed between 4 and 6 Gb of space. With your large collection you would need some pretty exotic external storage. These people could give you some advice on that. https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/128

Regards

Chris

Postby benny39 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I found this product & was wondering if this could maybe be the answer to ripping/storing bluray movies, the website is Technology choice & the product is an LG N2B1DB2....apologies for being unable to add the link...sorry
Cheers
Benny
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby BenL » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 pm

http://www.technologychoice.co.uk/brand ... lti-nas-4/

This? Looks handy, and at a good price. 2TB will be filled very quickly but it says you can add additional storage with an external drive. Does it rip as well? Seems very cheap if it does :)

Edit: I don't think it does do the rips itself, in which case the only difference from most NAS devices would be the blu ray drive, which is supposed to be used to archive data or films or whatever.
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby benny39 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 pm

That's it Ben, oh well I thought it was to good to be true...but I've missed many other bargains, it would be the ideal thing if it did though :) thanks for looking Ben & bringing the link up.
Cheers
Benny.

Postby paul_riordan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:50 am

Guys

I have finally got round to starting my blu-ray ripping process.....

I have been using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD software for ripping, with no issues so far. I have been generating .iso images and will do the same for the DVDs. In terms of play back I have just bought a Dune D1 player https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/684 and just navigate to the relavent location on my network (Windows Home Server) and open up the .iso image. I have been trying to use a PC with Media Centre but it is quite messy to setup and get working properly but I'll sort that at some point. Storage will indeed be a significant challange, I currently have around 100 blu ray discs which seem to average 30-40gb per disc at the moment. I also have around 800 or so DVDs which look like they take up about 5-6gb per disc. That means that I will need around 8tb just for film storage and obviously at least the same again for backing it all up. For my music I currently run with two backups (one at home and one somewhere else). So overall by the time I have everything online and two backups that will mean around 30tb of disc space. It is beginning to look like I will ned to setup a server room in the house at some point soon. :o :o I haven't even tried to calculate how long it will take to do the full backups but I suspect it will be taking days rather than hours!!!

Paul
Source: Auralic Aries Mini + Mytek DAC 192
Video source: Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A
Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s
Cinema Processor: Anthem D2v
Speakers: ATC SCM50ASL (Front and Centre), ATC C4 (Sub), ATC SCM20A-2 (Rear)
Screen: Pioneer KRP-600A

Postby kifbe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 am

paul_riordan wrote:Guys

I have been using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD software for ripping, with no issues so far. I have been generating .iso images and will do the same for the DVDs. In terms of play back I have just bought a Dune D1 player https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/684 and just navigate to the relavent location on my network (Windows Home Server) and open up the .iso image. I have been trying to use a PC with Media Centre but it is quite messy to setup and get working properly but I'll sort that at some point. Storage will indeed be a significant challange, I currently have around 100 blu ray discs which seem to average 30-40gb per disc at the moment. I also have around 800 or so DVDs which look like they take up about 5-6gb per disc. That means that I will need around 8tb just for film storage and obviously at least the same again for backing it all up. For my music I currently run with two backups (one at home and one somewhere else). So overall by the time I have everything online and two backups that will mean around 30tb of disc space. It is beginning to look like I will ned to setup a server room in the house at some point soon. :o :o I haven't even tried to calculate how long it will take to do the full backups but I suspect it will be taking days rather than hours!!!

Paul

Hi Paul

After the speed of ripping and storing FLAC files videos take an absolute age, and back-ups, well........................! It looks like you are going have to invest in some very serious kit (and time) here to rip and store your huge collection.

I find one of the great things with my PCH media tank is in storing DVD boxed sets. I just ripped all six series of The Sopranos to MKV (which took all day, incidently), but now I can dip into any part of any episode at the flick of the remote - brilliant.

Regards

Chris

Postby paul_riordan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm

kifbe wrote:

Paul

Hi Paul

After the speed of ripping and storing FLAC files videos take an absolute age, and back-ups, well........................! It looks like you are going have to invest in some very serious kit (and time) here to rip and store your huge collection.

I find one of the great things with my PCH media tank is in storing DVD boxed sets. I just ripped all six series of The Sopranos to MKV (which took all day, incidently), but now I can dip into any part of any episode at the flick of the remote - brilliant.

Regards

Chris

Chris

So far the Blu-Rays are taking about an hour to rip. I think on average my DVDs have been taking about 20 minutes or so.

Cheers

Paul

Postby Bolle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Paul

Hi Paul,

good to see you're making progress with ripping your movies. Once you have experienced the ease of having all your movies/series just a few clicks away (as Chris has pointed out), and a clutter-free room due to all the DVD/Bu-Ray boxes placed in storage, you can't go back.

Regarding your need for data storage capacity, that's indeed a tricky one. For me personally, I have a greater need for back-up of my music, than my videos. Albums I tend to listen regularly, a video very seldom watch more than once. So loss of music is an issue, movies less so.

Therefor my music collection is now has the following backup:
1) I have a separate little music server running Squeezeserver for my Squeezeboxes and a CD autoripper program.
2) The music collection on the music server has a backup on my bigger video server. I sync both servers everytime my music collection is updated. This video server also has redundancy for disk failure as it uses a variation of RAID (unRaid)
3) I also backup the collection on a regular basis to an external USB disk which is put in a safe in my home. For even better protection I actually should put this in a different location.

My video collection is present only on the video server. As mentioned this an unRaid system. This offers me:
*Full data protection for a single disk failure (as most RAID systems do)
*In case of multiple disk failure, due to the unRaid way of RAID implementation, the 'surviving' disks can be read out by any other PC/MAC. So my data loss is limited to one disk and say 50-60 movies. This is an advantage over regular (consumer) RAID solutions, where in multiple disk failures the whole array and data is lost.
*In case of server hardware failure, as these are regular PC components, I can simply replace the broken parts (for example power supply, motherboard). This is often difficult with typical NAS solutions as these are bespoke hardware.
*Even if the whole server breaks, I can put the disks in a new server, move the USB stick on which unRaid runs to the new server, and it should be up and running again. With the typical NAS solutions you have to place the disks and the same model NAS (or from same NAS manufacturer) to read the disks/array again.

I am not going to say that unRaid is the best storage solution in the world, as of course there are also drawbacks. However for the type use for media storage, I believe it offers many strong advantages.

I feel looking at costs vs security, this solutions offers a good balance for video storage. Yes, there is a very small chance that a part of my video collection can get lost. But this is offset by needing just a single server (cost, room, energy use savings) and no need for full back-up procedures (time, complexity savings).
Of course if my whole apartment goes up in flames or is flooded, all data is lost but I believe that wouldn't be my biggest worry at that time...

BTW, I have 4 x 2 TB storage in use now, and approx 200 movies and a few TV series.

Postby paul_riordan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi Bolle

I have not backed up my movies yet... I'll do that out soon. In terms of music backup I currently backup to 2 2tb external USB drives. I keep one disk at home and the other at a friend's therefore negating the flood/fire concern.

Cheers

Paul

Previous

Return to Computer Audio