High Resolution Music Website Links

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Re: High Resolution Music Website Links

Postby MattSPL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 am

Nice upgrade Alex :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby linger63 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Alexk wrote:I have been through the 'used SCM20' bargain before, and it's true, for not very much money you can get a really fantastic pair of speakers, but I've just upgraded to the latest SCM 20 ASL pro (mk2) from my old passive SCM 20s and the difference is large.

If you can afford the new active models, I say go for it. If you're unsure, then older ATCs are still excellent of course...

That's the whole point AlexK........he, like a lot of us, CANNOT afford the bigger new models.

Did you actually click on the SCM20 ASL link......the things are only 9 months old!!

I reckon that is a LOT of speaker for just GBP 3K!!!!!

Cheers

Postby Alexk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:19 pm

I believe you'd be better off with a more affordable new model (like the SCM40 for example) than a bigger old model. The new 40 is absolutely spectacular to be honest. I'm a huge fan!

But yes the same money will buy you a lot of older ATC as well...

Postby John Leddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm

MattSPL wrote:Hi John

The only real comparison i did between Flac and cd was Dire straits Sultans of swing. I did notice a better sound but gave up due to the hassle of using the laptop. At the time I only had usb dongle Internet and my dogs had damaged 2 USB ports by knocking the dongle, so I only had one working port.
I've since got a new laptop so will have another go

We've probably between 400 and 600CD's, so would require some time and hardware to rip them all.

I took a bit of a backseat from hifi over the last year as I have a 15month old Daughter and because my activity on the forums and Google always brings on upgradeitis.
I've been getting back into the hifi/music/forums lately though. Upgradeitis has set in so I now need to find a way of making more money to feed it :D

Oh, another thing, I hate computers, anything beyond Internet surfing drives me mad, so that's probably slowed my interest in streaming.

I bet your Bryston was fun, can't beat a good big amp :)

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,

Looks like you've edited, rather than replied to, my post. I wondered how my Code quote in a previous post disappeared.

My experience may be well out of date, but I'd be more than a little canny when it comes to ripping hundreds of CDs with a laptop's CD drive. We no longer have a laptop, so I'm not in a position to judge modernday drives, but for sure in the past they used to be akin to toys when compared to the drives fitted in a desktop or tower PC.

(When I dismantled the wife's laptop's hard drive, in order to destroy the platter, I was expecting aluminium like in a 3.5-inch HDD, where I use a pair of mole grips to bend the platters back and forth until they are quartered. However, the platter turned out to be made of some sort of glass and I managed to shatter it into thousands of shards, becoming a right pain in the neck to vacuum off the floor. I won't forget that lesson in a hurry!)

A pal of mine burnt-out his CD drive fitted in an old laptop whilst ripping CDs and had to buy an external drive, which he still prefers to use with his new laptop. Of course, there will always be the exception to the rule due to sod's law and all that, but I don't feel I've given you a bum steer as I'd use the best drive I could get my hands on myself. I've stuck with Exact Audio Copy for ripping CDs simply because it's what I started with years ago, and I've never felt the need to change or pay for a different application. EAC is perfectly fine for me, and it's free.

Toys for boys do not compare with family. Hi-fi can be bought anytime, but you can never get back those growing-up years. Pretty soon you'll blink and wonder where the time went, as if it was just yesterday she was born, only to find yourself being compelled to acknowledge an adult. Ha! Wouldn't it be funny if your daughter taught her father all those accessories were superflous. It would be a bit Zen and the Art of High Fidelity if her birth freed you from yearning all those extras!

As technology races ahead it should become easier to purchase something relatively cheaply which today commands a cost more than you wish to spend. To me, network audio is all about DLNA which utilises UPnP, so really our input goes no further than plugging in components, as DLNA compatible devices will automatically discover, and communicate with, each other. I use a WD NAS located in our boxroom home office well away from my stereo, and my Stream Magic 6 pulls music from there.

With a DAC like the Matrix Audio Quattro you really only require a renderer, which by requirement can be cheap as chips. It wouldn't be compared to a CD transport for instance. I have heard of more than a few people using a $300 Squeezebox Touch with a $3,000 professional DAC, and unashamedly flaunting their inverted snobbery to boot! I love it! Sounds like you're virtually there already if you have a suitable storage device. In fact, a NAS could turn out to be your biggest expense.

The 4B-ST was indeed a lot of fun, but it was a bit like a rally car for this household and way beyond my requirements. Due to being a complete saddo (not sado, please) I preferred the tinkly bits when using the VK-55. Anything resembling a xylophone just sounds great! Sad, I know, but there you go.

All the best,

John.

Postby MattSPL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Your right John, sorry about that, must get my eyes tested :lol: I blame my phone :P

I will post a proper reply on the computer later on.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby ledcam » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Ahead of our Auralic Aries & Vega we'd like to buy some DSD downloads. Not having a lot of luck finding sites which offer more than classical music. Found a couple of good US sites but barred from downloading outside US. Looking for popular vocalists, jazz and rock downloads.
dCS Rossini dac and clock : Audiocom Signature Oppo 103 : ATC SCA2 : ATC 100SE: Paradigm 2000 Sub: Some Vertex boxes and platforms.

Previous

Return to Computer Audio