Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU

Postby spacey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Im interested in peoples thoughts regarding this DAC and PSU. There seems to be a few owners on this forum. was wondering if you'd like to share you knowledge and experiences and what you've compared it to to make the decision of owning one.

looking to partner it with a pair if SCM 25's which are on order already.
Last edited by spacey on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRMC19/Gizmo - Resonessence Labs INVICTA MIRUS - ATC SCM25A Pro's

Re: Antelope Zodiac Gold & Volikus PSU

Postby MattSPL » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm

spacey wrote:Im interested in peoples thoughts regarding this DAC and PSU. There seems to be a few owners on this forum. was wondering if you'd like to share you knowledge and experiences and what you've compared it to to make the decision of owning one.

Hi Spacey

Is this a second system, or are you selling the 20's?

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Re: Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU

Postby spacey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 am

Not totally sure yet Matt, but I'm not using my system in Northumerland. Haven't touched it since 7th Jan. Working in London ATM.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:49 am

spacey wrote:Not totally sure yet Matt, but I'm not using my system in Northumerland. Haven't touched it since 7th Jan. Working in London ATM.

Ah right.
The new system sounds impressive :D
I look forward to pics of the scm25a's 8-)

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MevDinc » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Spacey,

I have been using my Zodiac Gold + Voltikus combo for a long time now and I can tell you that I'm very pleased with it, prefect match witch my ATC system.
Just connect it to your ATC 25As and off you go, it's preamp, volume control, xlr outputs and analog and digital inputs make it a complete system.

The resolution, bass and detail are very impressive.
I'm sure Benny would be more than happy to share his experiences.
You must be very patient as you need to clock up over 500 hrs before it really opens up, believe me the wait is well worth it :)

And, of course, it can play up to 384 kHz files and now you can hook it up to an iPad through the Camera Connection kit and enjoy playback of hi-res files up to 384 kHz :D

Cheers.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby kifbe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:59 pm

spacey wrote:Im interested in peoples thoughts regarding this DAC and PSU. There seems to be a few owners on this forum. was wondering if you'd like to share you knowledge and experiences and what you've compared it to to make the decision of owning one.

Hi Raj

Audio Emotion have an ex-demo pair up for sale. I'm a bit tempted myself!!

Hope the London work is going well.

Regards

Chris

Postby benny39 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Raj,
I have a Gold/Voltikus with my SCM50's & think it's a great combination, i had it side by side with a few other DAC's & the Zodiac's ability with vocals & musical width & space is quite extraordinary, music is never squirted at you it has a an ability to remain on the organic/analogue side of the fence especially with the PSU & with plenty of hours, almost everyone has reported similarities in the difference between new & cooked as they really do metamorphis from just OK into a very special & well equipped little duo, it is quite expensive for little 6" boxes...but developed by a company very closely associated with the pro studio environment so it will be expected to work long days for many years, it's also ready for the future with its ability to reproduce upto 384kHz files, I could've waited & waited while testing it against this & that for six or eight months & who knows what that outcome would've been...but i would've been tormenting myself when I already knew what the little Gold/Voltikus was delivering was something that has the ability to raise the hairs on your neck at times or convincingly convey the emotion from music to a human being & that's alright by me :)
Cheers
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby spacey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello Benny

I think this maybe the one, I'm after a more analog sound than the current crop of dithered DAC/pre's and theres really very little to choose from. the HDR is like its little brother and I've had one with a set of 50ASL's back in 2009/10.

I'm coming back to an active setup with Apple. Even though i love my current system, for everything that it is and can do, i know i need to move back to Apple as I'm stuggling with the FLAC format ATM as its just not on mobile devices and i really don't want to keep two libraries of the same files. I was also thinking of getting a Linn Akurate DS but the DAC's in the pro world are light years ahead and for Zodiac Gold/PSU money i couldn't even buy a half decent CDP in the audiophile market.

I think ATC's need the 'analog' sound downstream as they just play whats been given to them, the mantra of source first and all that....

Well thats it then, all sorted :) give it three weeks or so and all will be ready to photopraph - Black ZDG/PSU on order and the 25A's only come in a pro black finish :D

Hello Chris

The Demo units at AE are sold already!!

Alls going well so far, time will tell. The architectural world is far from being stable though.. :)
Last edited by spacey on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby benny39 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:02 pm

spacey wrote:Hello Benny

I think this maybe the one, I'm after a more analog sound than the current crop of dithered DAC/pre's and theres really very little to choose from. the HDR is like its little brother and I've had one with a set of 50ASL's back in 2009/10.

I'm coming back to an active setup with Apple. Even though i love my current system, for everything that it is an can do, i know i need to move back to Apple as I'm stuggling with the FLAC format ATM as its just not on mobile devices and i really don't want to keep two libraries of the same files. I was also thinking of getting and Linn Akurate DS but the DAC's in the pro world and light years ahead and for Zodiac Gold/PSU money i couldn't even buy a half decent CDP in the audiophile market.

I think ATC's need the 'analog' sound down stream as they just play whats been given to them, the mantra of source first and all that....

Well that it then, all sorted :) give it three weeks or so and all will be ready to photopraph - Black ZDG/PSU on order and the 25A's only come in a pro black finish :D

Congratulations Raj :) that's now three on this forum ;) I can't wait to see it all set-up & of coarse your SCM25's as well :mrgreen: I think you will be very satisfied with what the AZG/V with active speakers again, this will be a gorgeous simple but not exactly cheap system & in black too, just be patient with the zodiac as at first you may think you've made a bad choice...but rattle those hours through it even put it on a loop when your not using it with the sound muted & I promise you that in no time at all it will be on song all the time :)
Cheers
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby spacey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:12 pm

It'll be like a midi system in steroids :D Small and compact but with a punch like a heavyweight!

Cheers Benny/guys. Been very helpful as always :)

Postby kifbe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 am

spacey wrote:

Hello Chris

The Demo units at AE are sold already!!

Good, that's temptation out of the way, then!

Chris

Postby spacey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am

Chris, i still think you should buy them. AE offer the best P/X prices and offer great deals too. :)

Postby kifbe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:56 pm

spacey wrote:Chris, i still think you should buy them. AE offer the best P/X prices and offer great deals too. :)

Hi Raj

I may do eventually, but for the moment I'm still loving my Benchmark HDR/50s tower combination. You did me a real good turn putting me onto these - I don't know where I would have been by now in my never ending Naim upgrade cycle!

Regards

Chris

Postby spacey » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi - Glad you're still loving the system Chris. It's a corker combo. Worth considering a beefier preamp, i feel this is the HDR's only slight weak point. Then again its not easy to find something substantially better.

Worth getting a home demo i feel. If you do, do report back!

Postby MattSPL » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi Spacey

When is the new system due?
I can't wait to see pics of the scm25a's :D

Cheers
Matt

Next

Return to Computer Audio