Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Re: Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU

Postby MattSPL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:31 pm

spacey wrote:Well if anyone would like a similar APC (AudioPC) built, I can do it for them. I'm considering starting this off as a proper bespoke service!

Good idea, Ill keep that in mind :)

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MevDinc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

spacey wrote:Finally - Made the decision to trim the pots back to a minimum. Did lots of research and discussed what has been mentioned here with the tech help from Antelope UK. Wish I hadn't waited so long :D
I turned them 25 times clockwise; 25 times seemed fitting as i own ATC25's - LOL

It's just about perfect now, Volume really starts getting going at -30db, -20db is LOUD... and -10db still get to a level where I could piss the neighbours off!, Not taken it to 0db yet, but then again I don't want to damage my hearing - LOL.

Very happy with the result, now the -4db steps from -60db to -32db also sound like the same amount of volume change as from -31db up.

For anyone else who maybe interested in trying this DAC/PSU with active ATC's, its highly recommended. From the Q&A I've had, with the trim pots at minimum It achives a perfect balance (as accurate as when leaving the factory at +22db) at +8db.

Good for you Spacey.
Another 300 hrs or so on the DAC and you will be amazed :)

Cheers.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby spacey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Cheers Mev - I'm working from home ATM, the hours are being built up. But even now the system sounds sooo addictive; its really really enjoyable I can't stop listening to it :D. Also now have better control of the output level makes it easier to relax too.

Thanks for your very helpful advice Mev. :)
JRMC19/Gizmo - Resonessence Labs INVICTA MIRUS - ATC SCM25A Pro's

Postby spacey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Somethings changed in the sound today, i must say its left me quite speachless. Simply awsome.

Listening to Adele; Live at the Royal Albert Hall. An album which me and my wife both like to kick back to and have been doing for a few months; we know it very well. Today is like we're hearing it for the first time again, lovely, so live sounding, like we are in the hall.

Timbre, timing, detail and soundstage is just so right and alive.

Everyone should have this version of Adele 21 in their collection :D

Postby spacey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Just amazing..... so so good. It's like nothing else I've heard or owned before.
SCM25A Pros and Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold/PSU rocks.

Postby benny39 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:13 am

Your just scratching the surface at the AZG/V abilities Raj, this thing comes alive in reality after a few months & where it becomes & surpasses anything you've heard, it's abilities with hard rock to acoustic is uncanny, this is part of the reason that I have recently made the decision that no matter where my relationship with my dear Fiona goes....the hifi comes with me or storage as its too much for me to give away at rock bottom prices just to change my life, music is at its best in life's lows as well & Adele: live from the Royal Albert hall is amazing.
All the very best Raj

Benny boy.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby MattSPL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks for the tip on the Adele live album :D I must pick one up
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby spacey » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:35 am

benny39 wrote:Your just scratching the surface at the AZG/V abilities Raj, this thing comes alive in reality after a few months & where it becomes & surpasses anything you've heard, it's abilities with hard rock to acoustic is uncanny, this is part of the reason that I have recently made the decision that no matter where my relationship with my dear Fiona goes....the hifi comes with me or storage as its too much for me to give away at rock bottom prices just to change my life, music is at its best in life's lows as well & Adele: live from the Royal Albert hall is amazing.
All the very best Raj

Benny boy.

Cheers benny, i feel privileged to own such a system, it really is that good!

PS - i claim my £10; you are Shrek :D

Postby MevDinc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 am

spacey wrote:Cheers Mev - I'm working from home ATM, the hours are being built up. But even now the system sounds sooo addictive; its really really enjoyable I can't stop listening to it :D. Also now have better control of the output level makes it easier to relax too.

Thanks for your very helpful advice Mev. :)

It's a pleasure, this is exactly what the forums are for :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby spacey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Benny/Mev,

You are both correct - things are still inproving nicely, today has been another milestone - Zodiac Gold/PSU rocks!!

:ugeek:

Postby benny39 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 pm

spacey wrote:Benny/Mev,

You are both correct - things are still inproving nicely, today has been another milestone - Zodiac Gold/PSU rocks!!

:ugeek:

That's great Raj, this will continue for quite some time these units are very special, if you were in the market & auditioned a cold new straight from the box unit then in many cases this could be a real shame as incorrect judgements could be made, not that it sounds poor but nowhere near what it's capable of & it makes me wonder why Antelope don't have every unit bench run or something similar for the 500hr equivalent so that potential buyers hear the truth about the Gold/Voltikus on a side by side test again the popular challengers.

Cheers
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby spacey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 pm

I was thinking something similar too Benny, but that would expensive i suppose!! also how do they know what they're designing if 500 hours laters its quiet different animal??

One other question, Benny and Mev, does your Voltikus get very hot? Mine heats to where the botton of the facia and the underside gets really hot. To a degree where you couldn't hold it for longer than 10-20 seconds without it hurting your hand.??

Postby benny39 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Raj I hadn't noticed really whether my Voltikus heats up quite high I'm not sure, I have mine on a glass shelf & have touched the top to get to the switch on the rear after many hours of usage & the top at least is warm but not an extent that alarming.

Postby spacey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Mine is very toastie. The top is warm like an amps heat sinks but the underside is hot like a class A amp. probably like a house radiator on full tilt. It sounds great but I'd just like to find out if this much heat is normal.
Thing is we are in a very remote place and have really strong leccy, to a degree where we run at near enough 250v!! and have a new 100amp supply to the house which is new right back to the poll outside.

Are anywhere near yours now Benny, if so could you tell me how hot the underside is??
Last edited by spacey on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby benny39 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 pm

spacey wrote:Mine is very toastie. The top is warm like an amps heat sinks but the underside is hot like a class A amp. probably like a house radiator on full tilt. It sounds great but I'd just like to find out if this much heat is normal.
Thing is we are in a very remote place and have really strong leccy, to a degree where we run at near enough 250v!! and have a new 100amp supply to the house which is new right back to the poll outside.

I run mine through the Purepower so tomorrow night I will give it a good run & let you know what I find Raj.

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Audio