Metric Halo LIO-8 Firewire DAC/ADC

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Metric Halo LIO-8 Firewire DAC/ADC

Postby misterharrison » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi all
I've read so many glowing reports on the Metric Halo LIO-8 Firewire DAC/ADC that I'm seriously tempted. Has anyone here ever heard one? I'm especially interested in hearing how it sounds driving active ATCs directly. It has a super-low output impedance of 5 ohms which should make it a good match, I reckon.
Anyone heard one? It's also sold rebranded as an Amarra Model 4.
Analogue source: SL-1210Mk5 | SME309 | Benz Wood SL | Ayre P-5xe
Digital source: MacBook Pro | Metric Halo ULN-2
ATC Actives: SCM50ASL Classics in Walnut & C4 Sub

Re: Metric Halo LIO-8 Firewire DAC/ADC

Postby MattSPL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 pm

I haven't heard of that one, but it certainly looks nice :)

Keep us posted if you find anything out.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Geggen » Sun May 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Just go for it!

(I have the ULN8, which is identical, except for the addition of mic pres.)
XV-1S | HR-X | VTPH 2 | ULN8 | SCM 50Anniversary/2 C4 Sub | Mac Mini | HD800

Postby misterharrison » Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 pm

So I couldn't justify the expense (and the channel-count) of the LIO-8 and ended up going with the ULN-2. Very pleased.

I can't imagine how good the ULN-8/LIO-8 must sound with the SCM50s! You lucky lucky man...

Postby Tmsulcata » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:04 pm

hi, I have used weiss dac2, dac202, antelope zodic gold with psu, lio-8..
my comment is dac202 and zodic gold with psu is at similar level, lio-8 is better, and cheaper :)
one comment is, this is necessary to replace the lio-8 notebook type switching power supply to a linear psu.

Postby MattSPL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 pm

misterharrison wrote:So I couldn't justify the expense (and the channel-count) of the LIO-8 and ended up going with the ULN-2. Very pleased.

I can't imagine how good the ULN-8/LIO-8 must sound with the SCM50s! You lucky lucky man...

How is the ULN-2 working out for you?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby MattSPL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Tmsulcata wrote:hi, I have used weiss dac2, dac202, antelope zodic gold with psu, lio-8..
my comment is dac202 and zodic gold with psu is at similar level, lio-8 is better, and cheaper :)
one comment is, this is necessary to replace the lio-8 notebook type switching power supply to a linear psu.

Sounds like a good Dac :)
Is the linear power supply available off the shelf?

Cheers
Matt

Postby Tmsulcata » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 am

Hi Matt,
Yes, lio-8 accept a dc voltage varies from somethings between around 20v to 28v ( need to refer to the manual)
However, There is a dc-dc switxhing psu within the dac(looks poor) I think it regulate and make it a proper voltage to the analogue board and digital board.
I am asking MH to provide me the spec, I hope to have the linear psu feed to the analogue board and digital board directly, by passing the dc-dc switching power supply. The dc-dc switching will downgrade the linear psu.

Postby MevDinc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 am

FYI

I'm using Battery power with my Zodiac Gold for serious listening, better than Voltikus, deeper and better defined bass, amazing :)

The Battery power makes so much difference, I think all DACs should come with it, quite a few DACs do this already.

Cheers.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby MattSPL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Sounds interesting Tmsulcata. Maybe a battery operated power supply would be worth looking into like Mev mentioned.

Cheers
Matt

Postby misterharrison » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm

MattSPL wrote:
misterharrison wrote:So I couldn't justify the expense (and the channel-count) of the LIO-8 and ended up going with the ULN-2. Very pleased.

I'm very happy with my ULN-2. Drives the ATCs very well with a clean, unhyped sound.
Separate volume controls for monitors and headphones is a nice convenience, and the software is extremely powerful - for example I can apply a 20Hz rumble filter in the software on the way in when making vinyl transfers, which are the best transfers I've ever managed to produce. Also it remembers its settings even when a computer is not connected and works exactly the same way in standalone mode, including any plug ins you've set up (such as the aforementioned rumble filter).
Frankly it's hard to imagine how the LIO-8 could be good enough to be worth the whopping extra cost!

Postby MattSPL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 pm

misterharrison wrote:
MattSPL wrote:

I'm very happy with my ULN-2. Drives the ATCs very well with a clean, unhyped sound.
Separate volume controls for monitors and headphones is a nice convenience, and the software is extremely powerful - for example I can apply a 20Hz rumble filter in the software on the way in when making vinyl transfers, which are the best transfers I've ever managed to produce. Also it remembers its settings even when a computer is not connected and works exactly the same way in standalone mode, including any plug ins you've set up (such as the aforementioned rumble filter).
Frankly it's hard to imagine how the LIO-8 could be good enough to be worth the whopping extra cost!

Both the ULN-2 and LIO-8 look great. Really professional looking. I'd like to hear them both. As you say, the LIO-8 is more than double the price.

Cheers
Matt

Return to Computer Audio